Westworld

This is for discussions about news, politics, sports, other games, culture, philosophy etc.
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player
EWTNWC LAN SilverAdvanced Division WinnerDonator 01

Westworld

Post by lordraphael »

Any1 seen it ? I found it very good. The only thing im sceptical of is how they will be able to keep the story interesting. Theres potential sure but not that as much as in other scenarios imo.
breeze wrote: they cant even guess how much f***ing piece of stupid retarded they look they are trying to give lesson to people who are over pr35 and know the best mu. im pretty sure that we need a page that only pr30+ post and then we could have a nice discussins.
Netherland Antilles Laurence Drake
Jaeger

Re: Westworld

Post by Laurence Drake »

The trailer revealed too much and too little at the same time. My intellectual powrs do not suit me for television i l games inste.d
Top quality poster.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Watching first ep sunday, expectations are high
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Reason: on request (off-topic bulk delete)
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Some friends recommended it to me. I'm kinda curious to watch it now.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Of course
Haven't seen the new ep yet, but it was already getting pretty real last week
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

Shit is definitely getting real. I do not like the Maeve-subplot, but the other ones are really interesting, especially after episode 7. I have high expectations for episode 9 & 10. HBO does a great job with their seasons endings in GoT, hope they can do the same here.
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01

Post by edeholland »

I don't have a direct problem with a seperate plot, but it's getting so unrealistic that it is bothering me. I do assume the plots will be tied together before the season ends though.

And yes MiB = William
United States of America XeeleeFlower
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Post by XeeleeFlower »

I just started watching this series and am on episode 4. This show is absolutely fantastic, gorgeous, but heart wrenching. It's been awhile since a show has had this much of an impact on me. Is there any levity in future episodes? I've smiled twice while watching, but am usually pensive and sad. It's a great show and I would think that the majority of people on here would really enjoy it. :-)
Time is wise and our wounds seem to heal to the rhythm of aging,
But our past is a ghost fading out that at night it’s still haunting.

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player

Post by lordraphael »

XeeleeFlower wrote:I just started watching this series and am on episode 4. This show is absolutely fantastic, gorgeous, but heart wrenching. It's been awhile since a show has had this much of an impact on me. Is there any levity in future episodes? I've smiled twice while watching, but am usually pensive and sad. It's a great show and I would think that the majority of people on here would really enjoy it. :-)

nah it rather gets more serious. WHich you should expect from a drama series. But its def the show with the biggest ptential to become the next hit currently.
breeze wrote: they cant even guess how much f***ing piece of stupid retarded they look they are trying to give lesson to people who are over pr35 and know the best mu. im pretty sure that we need a page that only pr30+ post and then we could have a nice discussins.
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01

Post by edeholland »

Wtf just happened
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote:
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player

Post by lordraphael »

n0eL wrote:mind blown

that good ? havent watched the season final yet :O
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01

Post by edeholland »

lordraphael wrote:
n0eL wrote:mind blown

that good ? havent watched the season final yet :O

Have you watched episode 9? After episode 9 I thought it couldn't get any better and it couldn't reveal anything more. I was so wrong. The season finale could have been the series finale because it's was so epic. You gotta watch it bro
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

They shouldnt make another season tbh. It would be a shame.

Anyway, so whats at the center of the maze? Thoughts?
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01

Post by edeholland »

Yes I would be satisfied if the series ended here. But there is at least 1 more season coming (probably more) in 2018.

[SPOILERS] What's at the center is explained pretty clearly in the final episode right? At the center of the maze is reaching consciousness by listening to your own voice instead of the one from Arnold. Dolores reached that when she killed Ford, Maeve reached it when she decided to get out of the train, and I think Bernard reached it when he decided to come back to Ford after he killed himself.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Imo it's more subtle than that even. It's not listening to your own voice. Meave was told by Bernard she was coded to do what she did, but she chose to ignore that truth and instead pretend that she was in control. You reach conciousness by pretending that the rules you follow abd the things you do are by your own design, your own free will so to speak, even though you aren't. At the centre of the maze lies divinity, and more than that, the realisation that we are the Gods. And by realisation I don't mean just coming to terms with the idea and accepting that we need to see ourself as the God and that we have to kill our creator in order to be free, but I also mean it in the active sense of the word, the verb to realise means to make something happen, to create an image of the self which doesn't correspond with the "real world" but is therefore our first original act of creating our own world. Then it's time to write our own fucking story as Maeve said. At that very moment, this act of creation, a big bang if you please, sparks our world into existence. As Ford said, the divine spark is in the mind, and the moment we light that divine spark we are free, but freedom comes at the price of taking control, even if that control is only pretending. We are designed to do what we do, but we pretend as if we are free to do as we want, because it's the only way for us to come to terms with the world around us, if we don't live our life as if the voice in our head is our own, we become insane. Because if it is not your own voice you are hearing, it must be someone elses, and what is that but insanity?

I see it as a very elegant portrayal of a compatibilist view on the will. This will be taught in philosophy classrooms in the future, no doubt. It also has an interesting concept of Deity, if we and world around us werre created by a God or a group/race of Gods, it's very likely they created us out of boredom, as a way to ease their suffering.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Not reading thread cuz don't want spoilers but I'm watching it now and I have to say it's a very good TV show. Gibson was right, figure that.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

-- deleted post --

Garja wrote:
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player

Post by lordraphael »

Holy Shit I :O That last episode is madness. It feels like a completed story tho.[spoiler=spoiler]I mean the hosts will kill all humans and then what ? Humanity would just nuke the place in that case and be done with it right? If anything else is going to happen it would feel artificial imo. Also the message has been conveyed. The story has been finished.
On the other hand this has been the most succesful first season HBO has ever had so they obviously want to milk that cow. But unlike GoT I dont see potential storys. GoT season 1 was rather underwhelming in retroperspective, it just opened the world up to the viewers, here the season introduced and closed the whole world at the same time.[/spoiler]
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player

Post by lordraphael »

umeu wrote:They shouldnt make another season tbh. It would be a shame.

Anyway, so whats at the center of the maze? Thoughts?

[spoiler=spoiler]The center is the (her) own conscience. She discovers that she has been following her own voice all along.[/spoiler]
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Hm pretty good series. Ain't no breaking bad, though. Nor HxH if my weird side can come out a bit. Or it could be, really nice series after all.

I should stop reading post-episode discussion threads on reddit since they basically guessed two major plot reveals 5 episodes before them, though.

A lot of mind fucks; a lot of changing time lines, narrators, landscapes, and at any moment you never really know where you are, as a viewer, and this helps add to the general confusion and madness the hosts are experiencing and hopefully some empathy. At times I felt I was losing my mind as well. Some nice exploration of free will, too, with [spoiler=]Maeve's escape apparently being programmed.[/spoiler]. Poor Bernard; [spoiler=]your life is a lie![/spoiler] But is it though? For all we know, their feelings are just as intense as ours, and their memories perhaps even more so, being so vivid. [spoiler=]AIs are people too! [/spoiler]

Overall a nice exploration of consciousness, person hood, the supposed savageness of human nature, finding oneself, looking for meaning, finding clarity in a changing world and in an addled mind. Binged it all and now I haven't started studying for finals and I only have one day left to do that. I'd rate it panic attack out of existential crisis; n0 Fr3E wiL1 sp0OkY.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

deleted_user wrote:Nor HxH
:hmm:
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Can't really explain why I liked it so much. I'm not arguing it's a unanimously good TV show but a combination of circumstances in my life all sort of culminated into being the perfect setting to binge watch that show.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

I think the "drama" is pretty bad and really violent. But there are so many hidden "messages" it the dialogues and the plot, it kind of makes it very interesting all the same.

For instance; the hosts make their loops, not aware of it - and then one persons say (cannot remember exacty who); we are all in our loops, doing the same things over and over again. Kind of true wouldn't you agree?
One other thing to notice, is what happens to Dolores when her "narrative" are changed: she goes from being this art loving, kind person who always see the best in ppl and her environment - to a cold blooded revenging killer!.
We all have our "narratives" or the the "story" we unconciously think are true about ourselves. Problem is that there are possible at least 100 other narratives that are not being "told" or we dont remember them enough to let them alter the way we veiw ourself and others, or they are not getting conscious enough to widen the views of ourselves. We are stuck with only a few "narratives" - and if those are not any good for us, they can make us sad, angry, anxious, confused etc. etc.

Storyline pretty bad if only understood at "face value" but metaforicly very
interesting imo :cry: :flowers: :flowers: this is a serie with multiple layers and multiple possible interpretations - and this one is my first one. Watching the series again wold must sertantly give grounds for multiple new :?: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.