Best Magician

Place open for new posts — threads with fresh content will be moved to either Real-life Discussion or ESOC Talk sub-forums, where you can create new topics.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Best Magician

Post by Jaeger »

I just discovered this guy, his work is absolutely amazing:

My favorite of his videos:
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfmKMV_a0nw[/video]

My second favorite:
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAN-PwRfJcA[/video]
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Re: Best Magician

Post by tedere12 »

The 2nd video just keeps appearing on my facebook page for some reason
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

tedere12 wrote:The 2nd video just keeps appearing on my facebook page for some reason

Not sure why, it's a few years old
No Flag 91
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by 91 »

These guys might not be the best but they sure demonstrate how impressive sleight of hand is, and whats really going on "behind the scenes". Spoiler alert: they reveal magic secrets :)

[video]https://youtu.be/GmwT7L0hToQ[/video]

[video]https://youtu.be/y4U-kHdXgz0[/video]

Will try to find another guy later tonight
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

91 wrote:These guys might not be the best but they sure demonstrate how impressive sleight of hand is, and whats really going on "behind the scenes". Spoiler alert: they reveal magic secrets :)

Will try to find another guy later tonight

Haha I'm not too knowledgeable in the field, but I'm pretty sure these guys are considered at least top 10 in the world, probably top 5. These are just petty tricks they are doing, they are known for much more complex stuff
No Flag 91
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by 91 »

Well, maybe in "overall" magic then but theyre nowhere close the card magic champions for example. Thats a whole big fat field within magic.

And thats just one. Penn and teller do so many things that they cant keep up with the full time masters. However they are very knowledgable and talented on stage with good performances, and just that puts them up higher ofc.

And theres only so much you can do to keep impressing "mugglers" once you know a few easy tricks. Only the ones who practice magic could really separate difficult tricks from easy ones. Mostly.

Theres a difference between a trick looking good and a trick being difficult.

And btw magic championships can actually be almost boring if you dont know a thing or two. So you rarely see any of those guys.
No Flag 91
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by 91 »

One could also argue if being a magician should involve only good sleight of hand or also entertaining the audience. So many extremely talented, but boring, magicians. I think the masters aim to impress magicians, so it doesnt really appeal to many others
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

91 wrote:

And theres only so much you can do to keep impressing "mugglers" once you know a few easy tricks. Only the ones who practice magic could really separate difficult tricks from easy ones. Mostly.

Theres a difference between a trick looking good and a trick being difficult.

Yeah I agree. I am a "muggler" myself, but Shim Lin (guy in my original post) is actually good, he "fooled" Penn & Teller and is the reigning FISM world champion for close up magic tricks
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor
ESO: BrookG

Post by BrookG »

Look up Derren Brown. He doesn't claim to be a magician, but his abilities of "manipulation" and "prediction" are almost out of this world
Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

I have yet to see a Derren Brown manipulation-video that I can be confident isn't staged. Do you have one to share? I haven't watched a lot of them.
Pay more attention to detail.
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor

Post by BrookG »

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
France Rikikipu
Retired Contributor
ESO: p-of

Post by Rikikipu »

Well as 91 has said, card magician (close up) are overall better than other magician because what they do really requires skills. Whereas magical trick on a scene far from people usually are technically easier trick and even sometimes can be done by non magicial people. Scene tricks are built by engineers who work for magicians. IIRC the best tricks cost around 150 000 €. So basically you just need to buy it and you become a great magician... However in this case, I agree that Shin Lim is a really talentd magician

Card magician in most cases use standard decks, so they fool you thanks to their skills. The french magical academy is quite important. Imo the best french card magician is Bebel although he isn't really known in the showbusiness. Here is a video from an awesome DVD : Bebel and Vallarino (Vallarino is super famous).

You need to find the 8 of diamond. Good Luck ;)
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93pkcIi5ico[/video]
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

do you ever think..

"yeah im smart..enough. i can figure this out!"

and you slow down the YT video and spam the space bar button like your life depended on it then after watching it a dozen times you come to the same conclusion that magic must exist but this contradicts everything your 11th grade science teacher, Mr. Mathews, taught? So you continue the investigation and at some point Mr. Mathews will come back to life and you find instead of challenging childhood magic fallacies he challenges mountain ranges to be moved and cancer to be cured all in the name of 11th grade science? Well, he is not too different from most science teachers and it all provokes a meaning of heroism that is only present in the protagonists of young adult novels and this is me breaking the 4th wall enjoy rebuilding it!
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

I think you instantly gained 250 IQ since you quit AoE, Callen.
Pay more attention to detail.
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

aizamk the elifent ninja is best magician,
also I, your lord and saviour, am well-known for my sorcery.
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

@kingofosmane
Italy DaRkNiTe1698
Lancer
ESO: Marco1698

Post by DaRkNiTe1698 »

Best Magician
Attachments
darkmagician.jpg
Italy DaRkNiTe1698
Lancer
ESO: Marco1698

Post by DaRkNiTe1698 »

Jokes aside, Shin Lim is really amazing. I am really impressed by what he does
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

2 sacrifices for only 2500 attack? Yugi must be dumb
No Flag 91
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by 91 »

@ovi12 Yeah I agree Shin Lim is really good and he puts a good show with the music. I think I figured out the main secret but still extremely impressed by some of his card vanishes and sudden card appearances :D
No Flag 91
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by 91 »

Here's my theory of the few things I noticed in the first video. If you're interested see if you agree with me.

[spoiler=spoiler]It's a trick deck... I know it sounds cheeky and boring but see my reasoning:
- A good card magician knows where all his cards are in the deck, even if he "shuffles" it. The only cards we fully see are the aces and some jacks, queens, and kings. He keeps track of them (10 cards).
- Since he only plays with those few cards he can have some hidden spares, and extra tricks specifically for them, he needs a few extra since he reveals them more. But that's "easy" since he keeps vanishing them. I just can't for the love of god see where they come from :biggrin:
- Notice how when he fans the deck and shuffles, he NEVER shows the full card except for these chosen ones. These are the only ones we see, or almost see, one full side of. (0:40 for example). You can also see these are usually the bottom cards when we see the bottom of the deck (1:03, 3:20)
- But the deck turns red - how? One half of the cards are red, and one half is blue. Depending on which way he fans them, the colour will change. He only needs to change the top card really (probably takes most people years to do as smooth as him though).
- But the cards also turns white!! Yep, this is the front of the deck actually. Yes you can see the little "icon" of the cards when he fans them, but never more than that. So if the card is all white except for this icon, he can show almost the full cards and they look empty. Check 4:50 and pay attention to which way the cards are fanned when they look normal. When they are white they are fanned in the other direction, but it looks the same because he's pushing the card back "in the same direction" as he folded them. A good way to make it look even better.
- He can use the few ones that he keeps track of to display the full side of the cards to add to the effects when fanning the rest of the deck.
- Don't believe me? Just keep looking closely and notice how you always see the same side of the cards when he's doing stuff. Until they change color again.

The fact that he vanishes the deck in the end is a sign (doesn't have to be ofc) that it's a fake deck too. You wouldn't leave the evidence when you're done.[/spoiler]

Even so - it's extremely well performed and there are tons of small tricks that require a lot of skill to pull off in there, and all tricks are not revealed by my theory either, he still pulls off a lot of unrelated stuff.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

91 wrote:Here's my theory of the few things I noticed in the first video. If you're interested see if you agree with me.

[spoiler=spoiler]It's a trick deck... I know it sounds cheeky and boring but see my reasoning:
- A good card magician knows where all his cards are in the deck, even if he "shuffles" it. The only cards we fully see are the aces and some jacks, queens, and kings. He keeps track of them (10 cards).
- Since he only plays with those few cards he can have some hidden spares, and extra tricks specifically for them, he needs a few extra since he reveals them more. But that's "easy" since he keeps vanishing them. I just can't for the love of god see where they come from :biggrin:
- Notice how when he fans the deck and shuffles, he NEVER shows the full card except for these chosen ones. These are the only ones we see, or almost see, one full side of. (0:40 for example). You can also see these are usually the bottom cards when we see the bottom of the deck (1:03, 3:20)
- But the deck turns red - how? One half of the cards are red, and one half is blue. Depending on which way he fans them, the colour will change. He only needs to change the top card really (probably takes most people years to do as smooth as him though).
- But the cards also turns white!! Yep, this is the front of the deck actually. Yes you can see the little "icon" of the cards when he fans them, but never more than that. So if the card is all white except for this icon, he can show almost the full cards and they look empty. Check 4:50 and pay attention to which way the cards are fanned when they look normal. When they are white they are fanned in the other direction, but it looks the same because he's pushing the card back "in the same direction" as he folded them. A good way to make it look even better.
- He can use the few ones that he keeps track of to display the full side of the cards to add to the effects when fanning the rest of the deck.
- Don't believe me? Just keep looking closely and notice how you always see the same side of the cards when he's doing stuff. Until they change color again.

The fact that he vanishes the deck in the end is a sign (doesn't have to be ofc) that it's a fake deck too. You wouldn't leave the evidence when you're done.[/spoiler]

Even so - it's extremely well performed and there are tons of small tricks that require a lot of skill to pull off in there, and all tricks are not revealed by my theory either, he still pulls off a lot of unrelated stuff.

[spoiler=spoiler]Nice observations; there are only a couple other things from which I noticed:

-1:20 when he turns each ace to 3 cards: he always puts the ace on the table in between showing it off as a single card and turning it into 3. I'm not sure how to interpret that
-At 6:32, at the same time that he puts the jokers on top of the deck, you can see his left hand going below the level of the table. You can also see little cardboard flaps on the bottom of the deck.

One of the most impressive tricks was when he made the deck dissapear at the very end lol, I literately said outloud "WHAT THE FUCK?!" when I saw it; do you have any idea how he might've done it?

The tricks in the second video were much easier to catch, I think I caught about 5[/spoiler]
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

DaRkNiTe1698 wrote:Best Magician

I really remember zero things about Yu Ghi Yoh, but somehow still that picture looked SO familiar, I wanted that card so much I think lol
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor

Post by BrookG »

Yugi believed in the heart of the cards, plus he had cool support magic cards. That's why he won with Dark Magician @ovi12 @DaRkNiTe1698

United States of America Metis
Howdah

Post by Metis »

Maybe not the best magician, but one of the funniest.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhKxHHi8x00[/video]