Egypt icen
Crossbow
ESO: icen
Game: AoE Online

04 Jul 2017, 17:46

Age of Empires Online was a massively multiplayer, online, real-time strategy game released on August 16, 2011 through digital distribution and optical discs. Based upon the gameplay of the Age of Empires series, it was originally being developed by Robot Entertainment, but on February 24, 2011, it was announced that Gas Powered Games, the creators of Supreme Commander, had taken over production. The game was published by Microsoft. The game was free-to-play—it was free for users to play, with the additional option of earning or purchasing premium content. Premium content included access to many special items and blueprints, and more quests and features. Also, booster packs were available, such as Defense of Crete and Skirmish.The former gave the player the ability to play in a survival type mode game, while the latter allows up to four humans versus up to four CPU opponents in a more traditional skirmish game-mode. The modes could be played in either single-player or co-op. The game also featured several player versus player (PvP) modes for up to four people with the option of a PvP "Champion mode" which fully unlocked the players' tech tree and rendered the gear for aesthetics only.

On March 27, 2012, the game premiered on Steam after a major overhaul patch which addressed complaints of an 'MMO-like grind' and many other features, along with the debut of the Celtic civilization. On June 15, 2012 the premium content system was changed by offering the option to purchase all past and future content through 'Empire points' earned in game, or by purchasing the points directly with real world money. With this change the player now had the option to earn all premium content for free.

As of 3 January 2013, Microsoft ceased further development on the game and no new content was released. However, the existing content and servers continued to function and were supported. A Microsoft representative later announced on the official forums that on August 22, 2013, the Games for Windows – Live Marketplace would be shut down, leaving the game only accessible by current or former players, thus meaning no new players can register and download the game as of that date. Empire Points could still be earned through gameplay, but the ability to purchase them was later removed. In September 2013, it was announced that the game would remain functional until July 1, 2014 when the service would be shut down. The closure was due to the content being too expensive to maintain.

AOEO4EVER is a fan project founded by mindgem and mrphsio dedicated to the revival of Age of Empires: Online. It first began as a small thread on Steam. Later, a group on Steam was made named Bring Back Age Of Empires Online (BBAOEO) which was created in May 2013 after the steam thread reached 460 comment approximately. The first efforts to bring back the game manifested themselves in a project called "Project Penelope", which intended to reconstruct the PvE (questing) portion of the game in the scenario editor. A new fan site called AOEO4ever was created, where new versions of Penelope its scenarios were uploaded. Initially, Penelope included only two civilizations, the Greeks and Egyptians. Later releases of Penelope introduced the remaining four civilizations (1.1) and improved user experience, easy installation, multi-language support, a file browser to start quests and much more. Finally, Penelope 1.3, released in April 2017 included the city emulator which allowed you to have a capital city, gear, and designer tools.

However, Penelope was never designed to enable PvP play, one of the community's big interests. Project Celeste, a new effort spearheaeded by luciano, Ryddag, kisonik, and Kevsoft,began recently with the goal of reviving PvP in AoE:O. It hosts its own private servers for handling online gameplay and has a custom launcher to handle the connection to the server. The project is currently slowly releasing keys to ensure that new users don't overload the new servers.

In short, the development of AoE:O's revival has been long in the making and is exciting to finally have the game working as it did when Microsoft supported it.
United States of America musketeer925
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

04 Jul 2017, 17:50

A cool history that helps some of us AoE3 folks understand all that went into AoE:O! Going to sticky this for awhile since a lot of people don't know much about the game.
India rsy
Lancer
Donator 01
ESO: Rsy

04 Jul 2017, 22:22

Did y'all use to have tournaments? I've heard of mista soldier and gua among top people that played aoeo. Who else was at the top?
butifleaoe3 : risi brisi xbow piki 5 bank bum bum ez wini wini
Germany Carnage
AoE:O Team

04 Jul 2017, 22:34

yes we had tournaments. unfortunately it was never as organised as what you guys have. we are trying to do it better this time, hence the collaboration with esoc.
as far as top players go, id throw zerton, pf2k, eery and myself in the pot.
United States of America IAmSoldieR
Howdah
Donator 02
ESO: IAmSoldieR

05 Jul 2017, 01:27

here are some tourney info from a page a made awhile back:
sksclan.mjrwebdesign.net
Turkey breeze
Howdah
ESO: Breezebrothers

06 Jul 2017, 07:59

how many players did the servers reach when the game was at it's active moment?
Garja wrote:Why did you just say to him you beat me? Don't Show my games, Don't talk my games, Don't chat my games

_H2O wrote: Hey! I Courage you to play fairly, And have fun from this game!

Diarouga wrote:Every top players react like a child when they loose waterbrothers.
Netherlands Wout
Musketeer
ESO: Wout

06 Jul 2017, 15:46

United States of America DrNegative
Crossbow

15 Jul 2017, 23:23

breeze wrote:how many players did the servers reach when the game was at it's active moment?

At launch 70,000 daily active users. Stabilized at ~20k over time.

Here is a good video about the game's life from the producer Kevin Perry of Microsoft Studios.
Spoiler
India Ashvin
Howdah

16 Jul 2017, 06:56

That's interesting, pretty talented people in the community who have resources and knowledge to make reviving actually happen.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
Donator 01
ESO: n0eL

16 Jul 2017, 14:39

Anyone have a history of tournaments and results?
United States of America IAmSoldieR
Howdah
Donator 02
ESO: IAmSoldieR

16 Jul 2017, 15:20

Some @ sksclan.mjrwebdesign.net
United States of America giveuanxiety
AoE:O Team
ESO: GiveUAnxiety

16 Jul 2017, 20:30

https://aoeo4ever.net/forums/arena-pvp/ ... ml?start=0

I made this list a while back, but it does have lots of info and links, it is an incomplete list tho and does not include all tournaments
Follow my stream @ twitch.tv/giveuanxiety
Finland somppukunkku
Howdah
Donator 02

16 Jul 2017, 22:34

tl:dr history
-Aoe3, the best game ever, is created
-Many years later some nuub cartoon game is published and it steals bashing GUA from me
No Flag DynasticP
Crossbow

24 Jul 2017, 18:44

Is there an archive of the AoEO forums from back in the day? There are a few threads I want to look up.
Netherlands Wout
Musketeer
ESO: Wout

25 Jul 2017, 09:42

There's the wayback machine.. but it holds only a few percent of all posts.
New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
Howdah
ESO: Ex-Contributor

25 Jul 2017, 09:59

Wout wrote:There's the wayback machine.. but it holds only a few percent of all posts.

Why not re-post them here :)

The community is stronger together :biggrin:
Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk

Ugh Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk
Netherlands MCJim
ESOC Media Team
ESO: MCJim

25 Jul 2017, 15:27

That video is very interesting. I remember watching it some years ago. I'll definitely watch it again
:food: AoE3 YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/jimleem1
:wood: AoE3 Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/MCJim_
Singapore billie1019
Crossbow

27 Aug 2017, 03:17

I was part of the BBAOEO group, witnessing how this is actually brought to reality. I can't describe how excited and grateful I am to see the game function again. Hope one day MS can do what they did for AoE II HD to AOEO as well.

Forum Info

Return to “General”