No Flag DynasticP
Crossbow
Game: AoE Online

12 Jul 2017, 19:26

I hate when my window closes when I'm so far along in my idea. In any case, hi, I'm DynasticPlanet, I'm hoping you remember me from the AoEO forums, if not, oh well, I'm sad, I'll get over it.

Anyway, Assyria was badass, ruthless and brutal with technologies and strategies vast when it came to empowering military success.

If this is the wrong board, feel free to move it to where it belongs.

In game, Assyria ages up at the Barracks, Stable or Siege Workshop respectively. This means they need to build those buildings, then use those buildings to age up, effectively increasing their time spent an age behind their enemies. Therefore they can do Barracks slingers so they're ready to train when reaching Bronze Age.

Fortunately their economy is strong. Assyrian villagers use donkeys which return resources to the nearest dropsite, and the donkeys move at a fast speed of 7.5 (boosted by anything that increases villager speed,) and don't have to worry about collision with anything except terrain and buildings. To keep this balanced, Strehouses cost 60% more. Still, they'll hopefully pay for themselves

Their big boon is the Shield Bearer, which isn't a unit, unlike Babylon. Here it's a building you send your foot soldiers too for a defensive boost as they get health, armor, and even bonus damage resistance, but mostly extra pierce.

In any case, let's go over the units.

Barracks
Spearman - Basic spearman, these guys are durable for their status as starting soldiers and hit decently hard though they like gold, keep in mind they're gonna be important to ward off civs who can advance faster than you.

Slinger - Age 2 to counter archers. Here so you'll be ready to fight Archers ASAP when you hit Age 2.

Broad Swordsman - Much like the usual sword infantry, beats infantry, decent durability in bronze armor, though this armor makes them slow. Age 2 access

Sapper - Different from Babylon, Age 3 Assy sappers don't strike with rams, instead they place a Damage over time on buildings that does a flat % of remaining health every few seconds.
This DoT can add up, but it can NEVER destroy a building outright.

Archery Range
Archer - These bowmen counter infantry. Age 2 access.

Chariot Archer - Decent natural mobility for a generic ranged unit. Fair durability as well, though this sacrifices some mobility compared to other Chariot Archers and it wants gold. Age 3.

Stable
Rider - These cavalry use their hand held spear to strike cavalry somewhat harder. Decent mobility, not too fast though. Age 2.

Heavy Chariot - Melee spear armed chariot equipped to charge through infantry formations. Can 'charge' knocking back non-mounted units and doing splash. Bonus damage vs infantry. A bit pop slot heavy. Age 3

Horse Archer - Fast archer, not a cavalry counter. These Age 4 troops exemplify balanced power and great mobility, but a pretty penny is attached to their price. Slight damage boost vs. infantry. His base range could be better but his speed is great if you can micro it well. Age 4

Siege Workshop (Age 3)
Capped Ram Typical town smasher.

Catapult - These Age 4 troops are a lot like Egyptian catapults. Useful with a shield of armored troops around em.

Fortress (Age 3)
Stonethrower Sure, things were so perfect. Much like the Celts, the Assyrian Stonethrower is their packed siege of choice, though the methodology isn't a strongman, and actually a siege arm. It's still weaker than the Palintonon. (Age 4)

Shield Bearer Camp (Age 2)
This special building takes Slingers, Spearmen, Archers and Broad Swordsmen as well as priests. and equips them with a permanent Shieldbearer buddy. For a fee, you partner these troops up, first and foremost, fully healing any damage they may have taken, then boosting their stats. This building also performs research.

Bounty (Age 2) - When Assyrian troops or buildings slaying enemies, gain a bounty in the form of a fraction of the unit or building's undiscounted cost (IE, Egyptian Spear champions will still bounty out gold)

Protectorate (Age 3) - A basic defensive stat increase for Shield Bearing soldiers.

Logistics (Age 3) Increases the speed of villagers (as well as their donkeys) and infantry by 10%.

Bind Wounds (Age 4) Teaches your Shield Bearers to heal their soldier, granting a regeneration effect to units who have one.

Headhunting (Age 4) Further upgrades your Bounty tech.

Lend An Arm (Age 4) Increases the damage of Shield Bearer boosted units by 10%.

Temple (Age 3)
The temple trains priests, worshipers of Assur. They're fairly basic priests like Greek or Babylonian, but they can take on a Shield Bearer.

Assur's Grace - Increases priest health by 20% and gives 10% melee and missile resistance.

Dock (Age 1)
Fishing Boats - Fishing ships. That simple.

Merchant Transport Trade and transport. Simple.

Galley - Basic 3 pop warship.

Ram Ship - Age 3 Anti-boat vessel.

Stonethrower Galley Most unique of all, their Siege boat is actually less of a ballista trireme and more of an unpackable building destroyer AT SEA! I mean, there's a reason they start slow and on water maps, you don't want to let an Assyrian get a Siege advantage.

Other Aspects: The Assyrian Armory does not have the Shield Boss technology. Most troops as defensive as they are, and Shield Bearer's existence means that this attribute would be too good vs. archers.

There would obviously be more to it, and I don't expect to be taken seriously, but I thought I'd enjoy sharing my thoughts if you'd all hear them.
United States of America RiiSEN
ESOC Media Team

12 Jul 2017, 21:04

why two different ranged cavalry? I think when it comes to the design, you have made the civ much more aggressive then you think you have. Also, why not just go egypt's route with their barracks and allow slinger's to be built there, keeping them an age 2 tech. age 1 slingers are much stronger then i think you realize, especially if they can kite spearmen.
No Flag DynasticP
Crossbow

12 Jul 2017, 21:30

Babylon has 2 ranged cavalry, and even though one is barely 'fast' Egypt has 2 mounted archers as well.

I'm not sure how aggressive I made them. When booming, keep in mind that the time it takes to build the barracks is not included in their Age up time (though the age up timer might move slightly faster than a TC version for this reason.)

As for slingers, I'm thinking a really weak base attack, like 4 when champion, meaning they'll take over 50 shots to kill a spearman. Also, if they move at a speed of 5, then spearmen, all who move at least 6, will eventually catch them.

As for Barracks consolidation... I'm not sure. It could easily be a 5 Barracks unit civ, 4 Stable unit civ but that gives each building too much variety in what can be trained, I think. Babylon kinda has this advantage of 4 unit rax and stable.

Mind you, I'm not the best PvPer, so do expound.
No Flag DynasticP
Crossbow

13 Jul 2017, 18:50

I know this isn't a popular board, and new civs aren't in the forefront of everyone's mind, but I'm curious how others would design an Assyrian civ.
Netherland Antilles Laurence Drake
Jaeger

13 Jul 2017, 19:36

personally think there should be a chinese civ
Top quality poster.
No Flag DynasticP
Crossbow

14 Jul 2017, 01:40

I can agree, a nice Chinese civ to give access to some more Bellybow users would be cool as well as some ancient rocketry.

Yet that's a topic for another week.
No Flag DynasticP
Crossbow

16 Jul 2017, 15:48

I have further ideas, but I really would love community thoughts. Gotta build this community.
Netherland Antilles Laurence Drake
Jaeger

16 Jul 2017, 16:55

DynasticP wrote:I can agree, a nice Chinese civ to give access to some more Bellybow users would be cool as well as some ancient rocketry.

Yet that's a topic for another week.

can't tell if 'bellybow' is racist or not :chinese:
Top quality poster.
No Flag DynasticP
Crossbow

24 Jul 2017, 02:59

Made a few tweaks to the concept.
Brazil DonMatt146
Crossbow

29 Sep 2017, 15:29

Hittites would be a nice add too
''If you kill a man, you're a murderer. Kill many, and you'll be a conqueror. Kill them all... And you're a god'' ^_^
No Flag Andrettin
Crossbow

13 Dec 2017, 20:35

This brings back such memories! I remember reading your posts about crafting civilizations in the old AoEO forums :mrgreen:

I think Assyria would feel strange without a siege tower, as that's quite typical of the Assyrians. I doubt the fan-devs of Project Celeste have the resources to add new civs, though :(

Forum Info

Return to “General”