No Flag FullMetalSaint
Crossbow
ESO: FullMetalSaint

06 Aug 2017, 08:50

as long as i've been able to see from aoeo, peolpe tend to dragbox cav and inf or even inf with different movement values (as with celts), in aoe3 this is like, one of the worst mistakes you can do, but why it isn't panned in aoeo too??? i'm guessing that it's not that important or are there benefits??? as long as i can see its pretty bad even when you are retreating meele inf and ranged units on foot, because the ranged ones tend to reposition to the back, where they are just picked by the other army, any thoughts on this topic???
Germany Carnage
AoE:O Team
Game: AoE Online

06 Aug 2017, 12:26

couple of reasons i would say. aoeo is generally a lot faster than aoe3 with a lot more to do.. most people simply lack the apm needed to constantly move 3 types of units seperately on top of macroing and harassing. secondly (not an aoe3 player here so correct me if im wrong) the benefit of it would be a lot less significant in aoeo since all units move quite fast anyways.

personally, unless there is a situation where its needed, eg splitting of cav to better chase down units, i only move seperately if there is units within my selection that move at below 6 speed.
Italy Garja
ESOC Maps Team
Donator 01
ESO: Garja

06 Aug 2017, 12:38

in aeo3 micro is way more important, mostly due to snare, instant shooting and harder countersystem. Also some unique units need to be focused down or microed separately (cannons, mercs, etc.)
Russia yurashic
Howdah
ESO: Yurashic

06 Aug 2017, 13:07

It's not bad in aoe 3. For example you can move some units forward quickly using dragboxing.
Greece tedere12
Jaeger
ESO: Tedere12

06 Aug 2017, 13:07

when you dragbox cav with inf it seems like all your units are slowing down
"Well, now you are playing otto, but tommorow you might become a rapist, or a serial killer" -VaneStoilov

Bulgaria Khasp
Crossbow
Game: AoE Online

06 Aug 2017, 13:23

have you played aoe o Garja? I haven't played aoe3 a lot but I think there are some pretty hard counters in aoe o and the battle micro is a lot harder. Still far from sc2 tho. Back to the question. In a perfect world, you will move every single unit type, harass and macro at the same time. It's just how hard it is with the speed in aoe o so people do it only when it's a must. A good example is IamPrezsteve. He was doing that quite well iirc.
Italy Garja
ESOC Maps Team
Donator 01
ESO: Garja

06 Aug 2017, 18:28

Ye I played it back then. In AOEo you mostly dragbox to spread fire (slingers) or pull back damaged units. Some big units might be focused down/ microed manually but for the most part I think that just attack moving or stop moving is way more efficient. In AOE3 you have stuff like kiting back with 2 units while doing trick pulls to fight the snare on AOEo that's less important or not needed at all.
AOEo is more about macro I'd say.
No Flag FullMetalSaint
Crossbow
ESO: FullMetalSaint

07 Aug 2017, 00:55

hmmm, so it's because of the higher apm and people going the "fuck it" route then, but it's still something that could give you an edge then...

Forum Info

Return to “General”