Map: Glades

Here you can post about your scenario's, mods, custom maps and YouTube channels!
Canada Dankl
Crossbow

Map: Glades

Post by Dankl »

A random map inspired by black forest (aoe2 map).

https://imgur.com/a/V9FyR
Attachments
Glades.xs
(59.31 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
Glades.xml
(354 Bytes) Downloaded 43 times
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Re: Map: Glades

Post by edeholland »

Pretty cool! Can you walk through the forest or is that not posssible?
Canada Dankl
Crossbow

Post by Dankl »

No, the forest is impassible.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Doesn't work on aoe3, can't build onagers and really have fun
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

I like the concept of this map, but I think it needs a few things so the passes won't be abused and it just turns into a turtle map. I think the passes through the forest should be of soil that you can't build on (just like bayou, or the ice in your other map). This way people can't just wall off the chokes. It should probably extend in a ring, so that you can't wall off any of the chokes, but can still build in the clearances. 2 mines in each clearance is probably excessive, and I think only the middle clearance should have 2 mines. The base clearance probably needs a 2nd hunt.
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: wardyb1

Post by wardyb1 »

umeu wrote:I like the concept of this map, but I think it needs a few things so the passes won't be abused and it just turns into a turtle map.

To play devil's advocate, why can't we have a map that is a turtle map? What would be so bad about having 1 map in which turtling is a serious advantage? Right now we seem to have a lot of maps with either low res benefiting early colonial play or res heavy maps which lean towards ff however none of them really allow for serious turtling. Would it be so wrong to have a map where the meta shifts to favour normally lower tier civs that prefer to turtle without a proper ff option.
“To love the journey is to accept no such end. I have found, through painful experience, that the most important step a person can take is always the next one.”
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

wardyb1 wrote:
umeu wrote:I like the concept of this map, but I think it needs a few things so the passes won't be abused and it just turns into a turtle map.

To play devil's advocate, why can't we have a map that is a turtle map? What would be so bad about having 1 map in which turtling is a serious advantage? Right now we seem to have a lot of maps with either low res benefiting early colonial play or res heavy maps which lean towards ff however none of them really allow for serious turtling. Would it be so wrong to have a map where the meta shifts to favour normally lower tier civs that prefer to turtle without a proper ff option.

we have plenty of turtle maps already, in fact, quite a few esoc maps have high res in base and/or are easily walled off. However, here you can literally seal half the map with 3 walls that wouldnt cost more than 25w each. then you can wall the entire corridor with such walls. pathing is impossible in the narrow passways, so the defender already has a huge advantage because you can defend with less units and raiding is pretty much impossible on this map. it simply doesnt need wall abuse to already be an defensive map.

any civ that turtles without FF is a civ that turtles with boom. The maps we have cater to both, but the nature of the game is such that you stack so much res that you age up anyway.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

The original black forest made it very easy to wall off, and walling off is basically even beter in aoe3 so you can see how this is sorta a treaty map except that you can attack whenever you please. It could be pretty cool, I bet if this map had existed from the start of aoe3 treaty/no rush would never have become as big.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Lol until you guys have played on Barrier Ridge you ain't know nothing bout wallable chokes.

@Mitoe
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

deleted_user wrote:Lol until you guys have played on Barrier Ridge you ain't know nothing bout wallable chokes.

@Mitoe

Ah, the good old NR60 Barrier Ridge games.

Makes Orinoco look like a massive open field.
United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Post by _H2O »

1000000 hp walls in age1 and no onagers makes the michi/ Black Forest genre unfun for Aoe3. There’s of course some people who will still find some fun from it I’m sure.

In BF you could cheese a vil through the gap or fuck around with the timing you wall and scout. Later you had to stone wall to hold and later than that you would onager paths around the map. In michi you would onager through.
Australia VooDoo_BoSs
Dragoon
ESO: VooDoo_BoSs

Post by VooDoo_BoSs »

_H2O wrote:1000000 hp walls in age1 and no onagers makes the michi/ Black Forest genre unfun for Aoe3. There’s of course some people who will still find some fun from it I’m sure.

In BF you could cheese a vil through the gap or fuck around with the timing you wall and scout. Later you had to stone wall to hold and later than that you would onager paths around the map. In michi you would onager through.

I disagree.

I would love to see more map-specific play happen, even if some match ups can be a bit lame. In my opinion, the fact that the same strategies can be used in 99% of maps is a representation of how vanilla every option is. I, personally, loved the diverse gameplay of Northwest Territory. Orinoco was interesting as well, and the lameness is a small price to be for the interesting variety.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

i'm totally fine with map specific play, but i think it's more a question of this type of map simply not working well with aoe3 as a game in general rather than specific strats/civs.