My easy-walling hotkey

Here you can post about your scenario's, mods, custom maps and YouTube channels!
Switzerland bobabu
Howdah

My easy-walling hotkey

Post by bobabu »

metis wrote:Here''s a simple hotkey code that deletes pillars in all your walls without your having to select them first. Make sure to delete the pillars before they are built in order to recover the wood cost.

Code: Select all

<keymapdata>

<name>DlPost</name>
         <displayname>Select all posts and delete them</displayname>
         <event>control-</event>
         <context>game</context>
         <command>uiFindAllOfType("WallConnector")
         uiDeleteAllSelectedUnits</command>

</keymapdata>

You modify the hotkey file at your own risk. Do it wrong and your game will get stuck while loading. I crashed my game a dozen times while learning how to code hotkeys. Always make backups.

I would be very careful with such posts :/ or you will meet the same fate.
United States of America Metis
Howdah

My easy-walling hotkey

Post by Metis »

jerom wrote:No matter how many (terrible) arguments you present (Im pointing at the aoeo one lol, thats maybe the shittiest argument I have read in a while lol).

Witness accounts, rulings and case law are used all the time in the justice system to win arguments

The rotation code is present in the scenario editor for the basic game -- check it out for yourself if you don''t believe me (remove the rotator mod first so as to assure yourself it''s having no effect).

No official game moderator has ever condemned the rotate mod' in fact all have explicitly allowed it.

I do not ban for individuals using that mod since it does not present a clear specific gameplay advantage over other players.
-- Ryz0n
http://forum.agecommunity.com/forums/permalink/920891/920006/ShowThread.aspx#920006

The developers apparently intended to include rotation in AOE III but couldn''t make it work both the Mac and Windows operating systems and for all mouse types so they just they shelved it.

Now, I admit that some of this is conjecture and deduction on my part but it''s also general gist of what I''ve learned from reading about the issue in the forums for nigh on ten years.

The rotation code was included in the AOEO game so it''s quite obvious that the developers wanted it in the game. That they were excited that they had finally figured out how to include it was implied by the fact that Ryz0n was chomping at the bit to tell us but couldn''t until the non-disclosure agreement was lifted.

Keep this thread rolling until next week so I don''t forget to mention something when i''m able to.

AOEO has the ability to rotate buildings in the game by default.
(EV guessed correctly but I wouldn''t let him steal my thunder.). -- RyZon

Also,

"Youve gotta download the building rotator install it and then you can rotate with your scroll wheel."
"just get the building rotator."
"It''s legal, and there are some versions around here on the internet."
"I am using one myself, its extremely useful to be able to wall off with banks creating a heaven for your skirmishers"
"The last time Ryz0n said something like that it was to announce that AOE:O had a build-in building rotator"
"use the search function of our forums"
"You don''t have to buy [an unzipper], try WinRar, it''s free" -- Jerom

I''ve been instructing users in tech support on how to get the rotator code to work with Steam for years now and not a single moderator has ever asked me to stop.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

My easy-walling hotkey

Post by momuuu »

The fact that they intended to put it into the game but decided on not doing it means they didnt intend it to be in the game in the end. The fact that it is in aoeo says something about aoe3, it is completely irrelevant. Ive been using it because ryz0n thought it gives no advantages and because it gave me an advantage. Never found it too unfair, as I have always used it to gain an advantage playing one of the weaker civs, but Im even starting to soubt that logic.

In the end, being able to rotate buildings does give an unfair advantage, and by Ryz0n's logic, should be considered cheating in that scenario. I wouldnt be surprised if he just allowed it to not have to ban people using the mod. Just out of laziness.
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

My easy-walling hotkey

Post by Cometk »

http://www.twitch.tv/cometk/v/19365691

video in which i display the basic pillar deletion command and metis' hotkeyed command. i intentionally perform metis' hotkey slowly so it's easier to differentiate between the two from a viewer standpoint

anyway, there's hardly any difference. both methods seem about as effective, main difference being that the control-/ hotkey isn't prone to error, like deleting 50 wall segments or 50 vills lol.
Howdah

My easy-walling hotkey

Post by Metis »

I found Stormcoming's walling video, it has a bit different way of selecting and deleting pillars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QkrShW ... 1Wrkcanw0=
No Flag thebritish
Jaeger

My easy-walling hotkey

Post by thebritish »

where should i put that code? :(
krichk wrote: For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge thebritish
United States of America sc
Dragoon
ESO: _ZOMBIE_

My easy-walling hotkey

Post by sc »

metis wrote:I found Stormcoming''s walling video, it has a bit different way of selecting and deleting pillars.

that was long before I knew there was a hotkey for selecting all of one unit type :/
VIRTZN and CM1993 are my friends and they never cheat. everyone should add them. kappa
Howdah

My easy-walling hotkey

Post by Metis »

sc wrote:
metis wrote:I found Stormcomings walling video, it has a bit different way of selecting and deleting pillars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QkrShW67YI&amp'context=C46c49e4ADvjVQa1PpcFMG7Z_NFzGH_hAdZqv8ioS10o1Wrkcanw0=

that was long before I knew there was a hotkey for selecting all of one unit type :/
Your method, however, can still be useful in certain walling circumstances and also for other selections. I highly recommend that players learn it because it teaches them some little-known but important facts about the games mechanics.
France iNcog
Ninja

My easy-walling hotkey

Post by iNcog »

sc wrote:
metis wrote:I found Stormcomings walling video, it has a bit different way of selecting and deleting pillars.

I love this hotkey for rallying fresh units from production, straight into my new control group.

Click, F1, theyre all selected. :)
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
United States of America sc
Dragoon
ESO: _ZOMBIE_

My easy-walling hotkey

Post by sc »

incog wrote:
sc wrote:that was long before I knew there was a hotkey for selecting all of one unit type :/
I love this hotkey for rallying fresh units from production, straight into my new control group.

Click, F1, theyre all selected. :)

its changed my life. cant believe i played this game for 3 years without it
VIRTZN and CM1993 are my friends and they never cheat. everyone should add them. kappa
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

My easy-walling hotkey

Post by Cometk »

continuing the circlejerk, find all selected units hotkey revolutionized my gameplay. best hotkey NA
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

My easy-walling hotkey

Post by momuuu »

I barely use it. Screw that hotkey.
Howdah

My easy-walling hotkey

Post by Metis »

I use "select all units of a type" quite a bit in treaty.

In the games I play a double-click will oftentimes suffice but occasionally a unit will get misplaced. For instance, "select all units of a type" is really good to ensure that all my card nats are actually going to the front rather than one or two hanging around the TC where I shipped them. I use it especially as Ports to move and stance my starting army ("select all units," "stagger mode," position block). It's also really good for gating walls at the river ford on Ori. Click one section, press "select all units" then click "gate" and walla you are done.
Palestine Mimsy for President
Jaeger

Re: My easy-walling hotkey

Post by Mimsy for President »

Mimsy for President wrote:Is there a code to set a building as a homecity gatherpoint ?
Day 377 and they still didn't notice me.
Brazil Likansing
Musketeer
ESO: Likansing

Post by Likansing »

Cometk wrote:to my understanding to edit the hotkey file you need to have a newprofile2.xml in users2. i don't seem to have it and don't know how to make a new one. is there any other file destination for this hotkey?

i'm currently fudging with the user.con in the steam destination of aoe3, with this line:
map ("control-/", "game", "uiFindAllOfType("WallConnector") uiDeleteAllSelectedUnits")

edit: it works holy fuck this hotkey is nuts

thanks metis!

Can you share the file?
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

LAWL... so it was metis?! It's all metis' fault?! omg haha typical. i bet he started ww1 and ww2 as well.