Age of Empires 1: HD Edition Release v2.0

Here you can post about your scenario's, mods, custom maps and YouTube channels!
No Flag yohomes
Musketeer

Age of Empires 1: HD Edition Release v2.0

Post by yohomes »

Age Of Empires 1: HD Edition is a recreation of Age of Empires 1 in the Age of Empires 3 engine. There are new additions, like unique units for each civilization, new units, and trade routes. This is a multiplayer only mod. New maps are playable by clicking the "Custom Maps" checkbox. A new homecity should be created for civilizations so that cards from decks are not available in game.

Download Link: (V2.0 as of 20 June 2020)
https://www.moddb.com/mods/age-of-empir ... ition-v-20

Discord Link: We use a channel in the WoL discord server.
https://discord.gg/nvADVt

Civilizations:

Egyptians: Chariots have extra attack. Priests move faster. Gold is gathered faster.
Unique Unit: Khopesh. Like the swordsman but moves faster, has less combat strength. Trained at Barracks.

Minoans: Ships have extra hitpoints. Foot archers cost less.
Unique Unit: Temple Guard Hoplite unit resistant to conversion. Trained at Temple

Greeks: Hoplites have extra speed. Ships do extra damage. Catapults have more hitpoints.
Unique Unit: Tarantine Cavalry. Cavalry unit with low hitpoints but high attack. Trained at Stables.

Phoenecians:Ships move faster. Elephants have more attack. Trade Workshops are cheaper and stronger.
Unique Unit: Siege Elephant. Elephant adept at destroyed buildings. Trained at Siege Workshop.

Babylonians: Walls get extra hitpoints each age. Towers get extra LOS and range. Foot archers get extra attack.
Unique Unit: Armoured Archer. Foot Archer with high hitpoints and armour. Less vulnerable to melee attackers. Trained at Archery Range.

Sumerians: Villagers gather from berries faster. Hoplites, and Chariots slightly cheaper.
Unique Unit: Spearman. Infantry with bonus versus cavalry. Trained at Academy.

Persians: Town Centers provide extra population. Elephants move faster.
Unique Unit: Immortal. Infantry good versus other infantry. Trained at Academy.

Shang: Can build extra houses for more population. All units are quicker and cheaper to train, but slightly weaker. Buildings cost less wood.
Unique Unit(s): Crossbowman. Cheap archer with fast attack speed. Trained at Archery Range.

Yamato: Archers and slingers move faster. Horse Archers are stronger. Ships cost less wood.
Unique Unit: Yabusame. Cavalry Archer with bonus versus other ranged cavalry. Trained at Archery Range.

Choson :Towers are cheaper and do more damage per age. Priests cost less gold. Buildings have extra hitpoints.
Unique Units: Hwarang. Cavalry with high hitpoints but low attack. Trained at Stables.

Assyrians: Siege units are cheaper. All units have more siege damage. Hand infantry have extra attack.
Unique Unit: Siege tower. Durable siege tower that does melee damage to destroy buildings. Trained at Siege Workshop.
Unique Unit: Royal Guard. Hoplite unit with ranged resistance.

Hittites: Chariots have extra hitpoints. Military buildings are cheaper and stronger.
Unique Unit: Two-man Chariot. Extremely strong Chariot Archer that also fights well in melee. Trained at Archery Range.

New Gameplay Features:
Artifacts: These are herdable units found around the map. Provide a very quick source of gold.

Ruins: Found around the map, provide a 0.5 trickle of gold a second.

Units:

Infantry:
Clubman (Stone Age, Barracks): Infantry unit also good at sieging buildings. Will beat all other Tool Age units if in melee. But will take heavy damage from bowman if attacked by range.

Swordsmen (Bronze Age, Barracks): Infantry unit. Will beat hand cavalry, other weaker infantry, and ranged cavalry it can engage in melee. Good at siegeing buildings.

Hoplite(Bronze Age, Academy): Super heavy and slow infantry. Will beat swordsmen, and very effective versus cavalry and elephants. Will be beaten by archers. It's major drawback is its slow sped

Archers:
Bowman(Tool Age, Archery Range): Archer that will do very well against Clubmen/Axemen in the Tool Age.

Slinger (Tool Age, Barracks): Unit that is only designed to counter Bowmen in the Tool Age. Will lose to any other unit.

Improved Bowman (Bronze Age, Archery Range): Good versus infantry and will beat ranged cavalry.

Improved Slinger (Bronze Age, Barracks): Better version of the slinger, will only beat archer units like the Bowman and Improved Bowman.

Cavalry:
Scout (Tool Age, Stables): Cavalry unit with large LOS ideal for scouting. Will also beat Bowmen and Slingers in Tool Age, but lose to Clubmen/Axemen.

Cavalry (Bronze Age, Stables): Good versus archers, slingers, artillery, and ranged cavalry if they can catch them.

Camel Rider (Bronze Age, Stables): Good versus heavy cavalry, but weak versus all other types of units.

Chariot (Bronze Age, Stables): Very effective versus archers and artillery. Will lose to other cavalry and infantry. Requires "Wheel" research at the Market.

War Elephant (Iron Age, Stables): Super heavy cavalry unit. Will do good versus most units if it can reach them despite its slow speed.

Ranged Cavalry:
Horse Archer (Bronze Age, Archery Range):Good against heavy cavalry from a ranged distance, will lose it caught in melee by cavalry.

Chariot Archer (Bronze Age, Archery Range): Mounted archer. Good against infantry. Requires "Wheel" research at the Market.

Elephant Archer (Iron Age, Archery Range): High hitpoints ranged cavalry. Primarily good versus infantry but will also do well versus other units.

Siege Units:
Stone Thrower (Bronze Age, Siege Workshop): Good versus infantry, archers, and buildings. Not necessarily countered by ranged cavalry like AoE3.

Ballista (Bronze Age, Siege Workshop): Long ranged artillery good only versus stone throwers and other siege workshop units.

Other Units:

Priest (Bronze Age, Temple): Heals your units and converts enemy units.

Release Notes: I'm releasing this now. There will still be bugs and balance issues, please let me know and I will update the game. It would be fun to have some streamers play this and get more of a community playing as the game becomes more balanced. I hope everyone enjoys. Thanks to anyone who has helped with art, balancing, playtesting, advice, and anything else.
France iNcog
Ninja

Age of Empires 1: HD Edition

Post by iNcog »

woah that's pretty sick
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote: ↑
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
No Flag yohomes
Musketeer

Post by yohomes »

Lol right in the middle. Edited this post to change it!
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Damn :o
Palestine Mimsy for President
Jaeger

Post by Mimsy for President »

Good job
Denmark crjensen4
Dragoon
Donator 07
ESO: crjensen4

Post by crjensen4 »

Wow. Awesome
Great Britain CuCkO0
Dragoon
ESO: CuCkO0

Post by CuCkO0 »

That looks awesome!
KINGofOsmane wrote:If Elo is down what are we even fighting for
No Flag yohomes
Musketeer

Post by yohomes »

drlegend wrote:Looks good, but rifle-carrying minutemen in the Stone Age makes no sense.
You''re completely right. I''m not done yet though, there''s still things I''ve yet to add and remove, but I just wanted to post some progress.
Denmark crjensen4
Dragoon
Donator 07
ESO: crjensen4

Post by crjensen4 »

Keep posting about this!!! You got me hooked!
Admins: Move this to user created content?
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

Moved it :)
Germany tilanus
Retired Contributor

Post by tilanus »

Yohomes, do you know the now-dead mod project The Ancient Age (TAA)?
http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-ancient-age

I was wondering if you'd be interested to use some of my assets maybe?

I like your approach with all the new models, even though I'm curious how you intend to make animations for building destructions. And while your design idea for the UI is good, your current realization isn't. As I'm no longer working on TAA - but NE - it sadly won't be possible for me to help out much. However, if you'd appreciate some good design advice and - possibly - files, then we may have a Skype chat about it. Let me know if you're interested. :)
Germany koenigerik1
Pro Player
ESO: snowww

Post by koenigerik1 »

Damn hot stuff
Germany Aramir
Crossbow
ESO: blackout_

Post by Aramir »

looks amazing! keep going
Netherlands Veni_Vidi_Vici_W
Lancer
ESO: ramex19

Post by Veni_Vidi_Vici_W »

looks cool
Age Of Empires 3 Videos - GamePlay, Commentary & Tutorials: http://www.youtube.com/venividiviciw
Age Of Empires 3 Live Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/venividivici_w
Canada DivineFire
Lancer

Post by DivineFire »

Yeah this looks pretty good.
Taunt 3
No Flag yohomes
Musketeer

Post by yohomes »

tilanus wrote:Yohomes, do you know the now-dead mod project The Ancient Age (TAA)?
http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-ancient-age

I was wondering if you''d be interested to use some of my assets maybe?

Thank you. I have used some of your assets and have installed to keep as a reference.

I like your approach with all the new models, even though I''m curious how you intend to make animations for building destructions.

The new models are essential for this mod to be a recreation of AoE1. Currently the buildings just, fall apart...? I am thinking of just removing death animations.

And while your design idea for the UI is good, your current realization isn''t. As I''m no longer working on TAA - but NE - it sadly won''t be possible for me to help out much. However, if you''d appreciate some good design advice and - possibly - files, then we may have a Skype chat about it. Let me know if you''re interested. :)

The UI is a recoloring of the in game UI that is in game, maybe it is not a good colorset but that can be changed easily, any suggestions? I''d be up for a skype chat for any advice, you want to PM me your name so it''s not in the forums?
Germany tilanus
Retired Contributor

Post by tilanus »

yohomes wrote:Thank you. I have used some of your assets and have installed to keep as a reference.

Oh really - without asking? :D Which ones did you use? ^^

I like your approach with all the new models, even though I''m curious how you intend to make animations for building destructions.
The new models are essential for this mod to be a recreation of AoE1. Currently the buildings just, fall apart...? I am thinking of just removing death animations.

Yeah, I agree with that. The destruction animations aren''t beautiful either since the models are hollow inside. To be honest though, I don''t think a recreation should be a plain copy or port from 2d to 3d. Some AoE1 buildings, like the town centers don''t really look like classical, ancient town centers. And when I look at your ideas for the civ, they are also rather inspirations than copies. I''d not suggest as radical ideas as for TAA, but the whole design should also keep up with the times.

And while your design idea for the UI is good, your current realization isn''t. As I''m no longer working on TAA - but NE - it sadly won''t be possible for me to help out much. However, if you''d appreciate some good design advice and - possibly - files, then we may have a Skype chat about it. Let me know if you''re interested. :)
The UI is a recoloring of the in game UI that is in game, maybe it is not a good colorset but that can be changed easily, any suggestions?

Well, since you''ve admittedly taken stuff from TAA already, you will surely have seen the TAA UI, no? It''s not really AoE1-like, but I''d call it an improvement of the current one you have. Ideally, if you look at the popular UI mods, you could rearrange the UI so it comes closer to the actual AoE1 UI layout. :)

I''d be up for a skype chat for any advice, you want to PM me your name so it''s not in the forums?

Sent via PM. :)
No Flag aoefan4life
Lancer

Post by aoefan4life »

There was never a mod I liked but I think this one has great potential!
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

oh man you just brought many memories right there,can't way to try the final version
"Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. If you want to make ambitious people waste their time on errands, bait the hook with prestige." - Paul Graham
No Flag alexandre7
Crossbow

Post by alexandre7 »

This looks so amazing!

I am myself interested in doing these stuffs. Is there a tutorial for this? I am from a programming background though.
No Flag yohomes
Musketeer

Post by yohomes »

alexandre7 wrote:This looks so amazing!

I am myself interested in doing these stuffs. Is there a tutorial for this? I am from a programming background though.
Yes there are lots of tutorails on aoe3heaven under the modding section, if you need further help or any of the programs required (I had to ask around alot, so I''m sure you will) feel free to send me a private message and I''ll help out.
No Flag cowhax
Skirmisher

Post by cowhax »

I really like the idea. Do you have any plans for what to do about shipments? It might be interesting to remove all XP gains from the game, and make it so all civs start with 30ish shipments available, but have each shipment cost some other resource.
No Flag epiccheater
Musketeer

Post by epiccheater »

This is what I like to call epic! ')
No Flag aoefan4life
Lancer

Post by aoefan4life »

Age of Empires 1 is the reason I play AOE today! I agree with Benj that this brings back many good memories.
No Flag ibanez247
Crossbow

Post by ibanez247 »

Omg. Please make this... I will be sooooo happyy!!!!