Announcing Congo Mod!

Here you can post about your scenario's, mods, custom maps and YouTube channels!
Ukraine ryanprice
Crossbow
ESO: RyanPrice

Announcing Congo Mod!

Post by ryanprice »

Hi guys!
I have a new awesome (fantasticamazingincredible) mod for you, which is almost done. It is a new civ – Congo. It has some really interesting unique features which I would like to describe to you before this mod is 100% ready to be played.

So -

1) Consulate system

As well as the Asian civs, Congolese can use export, but in a totally different way. You don´t get an export trickle from an each civilian you have, but you must gather it like a regular resource. For this purpose Congolese can build special Export Plantations. They are available from Age 3 and cost 400 wood. Export gathering is boosted by 3 upgrades in Export Plantations, plus it is affected by the imperial upgrade of coin gathering.
There are 2 European countries you can ally with – Portugal and France. You cannot change the alliance after you have chosen it. You can build 3 consulates (available from Age 3), where you can train certain units or buy certain upgrades. All of them cost export. All consulate units are cheaper than their normal analogs.

Portuguese allies (+1 range to all units)

Allow you to train:
• Portuguese Colonists – villagers, limited to 50
• Jinetes
• Rabaulds
• Culverins

Allow you to research:
• 15% Mill upgrade
• 20% Export Plantation upgrade
• Mercantilism
• Factory Wagon

French allies (+15% Building hitpoints)

Allow you to train:
• Coureurs – villagers, limited to 40
• Voltigeurs
• Howitzers
• Culverins

Allow you to research:
• 20% Plantation upgrade
• Rifling upgrade (3x agaist HI for all skirmishers)
• Analog of Wilderness Warfare (20% Coureur, Natives, Skirmisher hitpoints)
• Mercantilism

2) Home City shipments
The biggest part of unit shipments you can send resemble the Chinese armies – you get a combo of different units. The only shipments that send you one type of units are Batta Musketeer shipments (see below) and Age 3 mercenary shipments.
Every shipment except infinite ones also gives you a tiny Export trickle.

3) Age Up Techs
Congolese Age Up system is a peculiar mix of European and Native ones. You have a choice of 4 politicians when you age up to colonial (Messenger, Chief, Wise Woman, Warrior). Let us suppose you choose Messenger; you will have a choice between Chief, Wise Woman, and Warrior in age2 then. You will have only one choice when you go to Age 5 then.
Messenger: fast age ups
Wise Woman: cords of wood and a boost to Wood gather rates
Chief: bonus to all Congolese warriors HP
Warrior: Batta Musketeers (see below)

4) War Chief
Your War Chief can gather resourses. That´s weird, right ;)
Age 1 gather rates are similar to 1 villager, age 2 – 2 villagers and so on. Age 5 War Chief gathers as fast as 5 settlers. All economic upgrades affect him too.

Important: though the War Chief is tagged as villager, all units deal their regular damage against him. For example, he can not be countered by Oprichniks.
War Chief can not shoot animals.
War Chief doesn´t have an ability to stun guardians or kill them in one shot, but he has greater multipliers against guardians.

5) Army
You have only one kind of barracks – War Hut. There you can train 6 kinds of warriors:
• Bakongo Archer – archer with a very low base attack but an extreme shooting rate (shoots 3x faster than a musk). Available in Age 2.
• Bakongo Spearman – simple pikeman. Weaker and cheaper then a normal European pikeman. Available in Age 2.
• Bamba Swordsman – tagged as heavy cavalry. Fast moving cavalry-like unit that deals area damage. Has much less hitpoints than hussar though. Available in Age 2.
• Loango Spearman - a mix of Musketeer and Dragoon. Heavy Infantry than beats Cavalry in melee and Heavy Cavalry in ranged combat. Moves as fast as a musketeer. Available in Age 3.
• Incendiary – slow and cheap infantry good only at destroying buildings. Available in Age 3.
• Drummer – an expensive unit that has a Speed/Attack aura, but can not fight. Limited to 3. Available in Age 3.

• Batta Musketeer – very strong HomeCity-only musketeer. Has a greater range than a standard Musketeer. Costs 2 pop.
• War Boat – a universal boat. Train limits are increased when you age up.
You can also research some Arsenal-like techs in your War Huts.
Important: All your warriors are upgraded automatically when you age up. This makes Congolese really strong in late game. Boats aren´t upgraded. Bakongo Spearmen are upgraded only to Elite. Drummers aren´t upgraded.
6) Settlers
You can train 49 settlers from TC, + consulate settlers. You can train 99 Fishing Boats like every other civ.

What is important too:
• This mod will not use any new unit models. I simply can´t make them. Paint is a limit of my skills in graphics. Most of the models were taken from the Aztec. Just like the flag and Home City design.
• All units speak Aztec. It is quite hard to find some Congolese guys to record the necessary phrases I think D:
• This mod will be uploaded here as soon as I fix all known bugs.
• I want this civ to be balanced both in supremacy and treaty. For this purpose I will patch the mod according to your suggestions until it is balanced ideally.
• Congolese Home City can be normally created both in single- and multiplayer, but you can not create an Aztec Home City while this mod is activated. If you already have an Aztec Home City, you can normally play it.
• Special thanks to _NiceKING_ who helped me a lot to implement some civ´s features.
Sup players are more handsome
Great Britain britishmusketeer
Howdah

Re: Announcing Congo Mod!

Post by britishmusketeer »

What is the base gather rate of export plantations?
Ukraine ryanprice
Crossbow

Post by ryanprice »

It is similar to Rice Paddies (coin gathering). Villagers do not walk on Export Plantations.
Great Britain britishmusketeer
Howdah

Post by britishmusketeer »

ryanprice wrote:

Its is similar to Rice Paddies (coin gathering). Villagers do not walk on Export Plantations.

and the export cost of those techs?
Ukraine ryanprice
Crossbow

Post by ryanprice »

and the export cost of those techs?

The prices might be changed before the release, these are the current ones:

Portuguese Colonist - 80 Export
Coureur - 96 Export
Rabauld - 312 Export
Culverin - 390 Export
Howitzer - 351 Export

15% Mills - 500 Export
20% Plantations - 800 Export
20% Export - 600 Export
Rifling - 400 Export
Wilderness Warfare - 1000 Export
Factory Wagon - 1000 Export
Mercantilism - 1200 Export
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

interesting topic
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Germany tilanus
Retired Contributor

Post by tilanus »

Hm, I'm too much in a hurry to answer to specifics of your outline, but I'm glad to see a civ outline on these forums at all. :) May I ask what's your motivational background to make a Congo civ?
Ukraine ryanprice
Crossbow

Post by ryanprice »

tilanus wrote:Hm, I'm too much in a hurry to answer to specifics of your outline, but I'm glad to see a civ outline on these forums at all. :) May I ask what's your motivational background to make a Congo civ?

Well, I thought that Congo would look organic in AoE3, because the African lands were colonized at the same time as the American.
Also i had a lot of interesting ideas that I would like to see in game :D
Germany tilanus
Retired Contributor

Post by tilanus »

Ah, on second sight I see that Albert helped you, whom I did help in first place. :D I like the idea of a Congo civ in general. Where did you find the units and their names?
Ukraine ryanprice
Crossbow

Post by ryanprice »

tilanus wrote:Ah, on second sight I see that Albert helped you, whom I did help in first place. :D I like the idea of a Congo civ in general. Where did you find the units and their names?

I found an article containing the memoirs of a portuguese explorer, it was the main source of information about the civ.
No Flag purplesquid
Dragoon
Donator 03

Post by purplesquid »

Looks like a really cool civ. I would love to play it once it is released. . .
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Screenshots! Please!
Garja wrote:
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Ukraine ryanprice
Crossbow

Post by ryanprice »

iNcog wrote:Screenshots! Please!

Well, I can add them to my post, but as i said there are no new graphic models of units or buildings. I can actually make screenshots of a consulate or war hut interface, what exactly would you like to see?
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

anything you wanna show, i'm curious x)
Garja wrote:
Ukraine ryanprice
Crossbow

Post by ryanprice »

1) 4 politicians in Age 1:
screen.PNG

2) Only 3 of them available after I chose the Messenger to age up:
screen2.PNG

3) War Chief is gathering coin.
screen28.jpg

4) Consulate after choosing the Portuguese allies. You can see a Heavy Cannon upgrade, it will be removed later and will be available only from the Factory.
screen31.jpg

5) Plantation differs from an Export Plantation.
screen32.jpg

6) Portuguese Colonists look like standard Portuguese Settlers. They also speak Portuguese.
screen33.jpg

7) Here is what you can train or research in your War Hut. You can see no classic unit upgrades here - all units are automatically upgraded when you age up. You can see a lot of arsenal-like upgrades below.
screen34.jpg
Ukraine ryanprice
Crossbow

Post by ryanprice »

8) Here you can see an ability which you get after you research one of the War Hut upgrades. It improves your War Chief´s speed greatly for 10 seconds.
screen35.jpg

9) And his speed is really enormous after you use this ability.
screen36.jpg

10) Here are all kinds of Portuguese military you can train. There are also 3 Drummers, you can´t have more than 3 of them at a time.
screen37.jpg

11) Congolese Farms can not train sheep or cows, and don´t boost their fattening. You can build a classic Livestock Pen though.
screen39.jpg

12) A Congolese Dock. Only one kind of military boats, plus Fishing Boats. There are some upgrades for them below.
screen40.jpg

13) And here you can see the War Boats´s characteristics. Its basic attack isn´t siege, but a normal ranged.
screen41.jpg

14) Here is a pack of units you get after receiving one of the Age 2 shipments.
screen43.jpg
Ukraine ryanprice
Crossbow

Post by ryanprice »

15) Batta Musketeers upgraded to Elite. Quite strong, aren´t they? I am not really sure about their range, it might be nerfed later.
screen44.jpg

16) Consulate after choosing the French allies.
screen45.jpg
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

interesting screenshots

for sure would be nice to update textures a little more so that congolese units have their feel

i'm impressed that you're able to mod all that
Garja wrote:
Russia yurashic
Howdah
ESO: Yurashic

Post by yurashic »

Seems interesting. I think you should get the interface from the War Chiefs expansion, it fits the theme much better.
Ukraine ryanprice
Crossbow

Post by ryanprice »

If someone is interested, I will try to stream a treaty (maybe sup after that) battle on twitch. I will do it for the first time, so I hope it will work fine. I will play against my friend (much weaker than me unfortunately, but he may pick a more powerful civ like France etc. to make it more interesting)

My name on Twitch is CapRyanPrice, I will try to start between 18-19 PM GMT
Ukraine ryanprice
Crossbow

Post by ryanprice »

Sorry everyone who tried to watch stream. I didn´t check if the stream works normally, that was a huge fail. I hope it won´t happen again.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

no worries ^^

these things never work out well the first time. just try again later, test stream first, etc.
Garja wrote:
Germany tilanus
Retired Contributor

Post by tilanus »

Fun fact: I did consider a Congo civ for NE already half a year ago. More as a bonus civ though. ^^

I'd have said that maybe we could've sketched the civ outline together, but then it occured to me that your idea might be quite different to the one I had in the context of NE.
United States of America Ikilled4penguins
Skirmisher
ESO: Ikill4penguins

Post by Ikilled4penguins »

Should be named "Cannabis Plantation" instead of Export Plantation. Congos grow & export a lot of it.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

tbh this civ looks OP