User Run Servers

Here you can post about your scenario's, mods, custom maps and YouTube channels!
United States of America noissance
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: noissance

User Run Servers

Post by noissance »

Hey guys, is there a mod for this game that lets you run off user-operated servers, instead of Microsoft's glitch servers? If so, then we can get some boxes running it so that stats can be tracked more accurately.
Error 404: Signature not found
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Re: User Run Servers

Post by EAGLEMUT »

Depends on what you consider a server.. ESO basically just acts as a lobby where players can meet and connect to each other. Gameranger and voobly work similarly and are available, though arguably with a less slick interface.

If you're asking for an ESO replacement mod, then no, that doesn't exist. It would be possible to make, but undertaking such a project might not be worth it when there's already services like voobly available. At that point I guess the question is, why create another lobby service?
momuuu wrote: theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
United States of America noissance
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: noissance

Post by noissance »

I just think that if GR or Voobly made a patch/mod that implemented an ESO replacement, then it would be cool as well. The gameranger and voobly UI's pale in comparison to the game's lobby.
Error 404: Signature not found
No Flag hunter
Dragoon

Post by hunter »

It is theoratically possible
Jerom wrote: Garja is a better player than most of us here
Jerom wrote:Please don't bump old threads, especially when all you have to say is "lol"
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Voobly's UI is as good as ESO's actually, it's something which is actually modern and up to date.

What you're asking for is basically Voobly. It has a rating system and anything else you'd want. lol

Edit: anyway I'm curious as to whether or not ESOC has started approaching voobly with the patch? Or just going to sit idle? :/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
No Flag celtic_neonom
Crossbow

Post by celtic_neonom »

The problem with a new servers is the same as with the patch. Both are better but people do not use. The problem with gameranger is the lack of players.
Tonga sdsanft
Howdah
ESO: sdsanft

Post by sdsanft »

iNcog wrote:Voobly's UI is as good as ESO's actually, it's something which is actually modern and up to date.

What you're asking for is basically Voobly. It has a rating system and anything else you'd want. lol

Edit: anyway I'm curious as to whether or not ESOC has started approaching voobly with the patch? Or just going to sit idle? :/

Instead of asking ESOC to do it for you, ask them if they will support you, and then do it yourself. I don't mean to be rude but things will get done faster that way.

Site: Be there or be square
Jakey: I'm square because I'm not around
United States of America iCourt
Retired Contributor
ESO: iCourt

Post by iCourt »

iNcog wrote:Voobly's UI is as good as ESO's actually, it's something which is actually modern and up to date.

At the time no we haven't. Might be worth looking into if this keeps up. Right now the game is unplayable.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

sdsanft wrote:

Instead of asking ESOC to do it for you, ask them if they will support you, and then do it yourself. I don't mean to be rude but things will get done faster that way.

You aren't rude at all, you're making a valid point.

Suffice to say, I've already approached Voobly and have made initial contact with them. They're aware of ESOC. The problem is that I'm not an ESOC team member, so the amount of things I can get started is limited compred to those who hold the patch in their hands.

Remember that it's much more legitimate for ESOC as a community site / team to approach Voobly than it is for one guy alone to do so. The question they're asking themselves right now is "why is this random dude called incog contacting us instead of the ESOC team themselves"?

@iCourt Yes, you're right. That's why I opened the other thread. As long as ESO is down and unstable, AoE3 is unplayable. I know that some people have stopped playing outright, or have moved on to Rocket League or Starcraft 2. Funnily enough it's those same people who are telling me that we should not be working with Voobly.
Garja wrote:
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
United States of America iCourt
Retired Contributor
ESO: iCourt

Post by iCourt »

Well ya could rejoin the team and just not be an admin or mod.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Possibly, but I kind of like my Gendarme tag. Could just make me ESOC Gendarme team. I'd be the thought police.
Garja wrote:
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

iNcog wrote:
sdsanft wrote:

You aren't rude at all, you're making a valid point.

Suffice to say, I've already approached Voobly and have made initial contact with them. They're aware of ESOC. The problem is that I'm not an ESOC team member, so the amount of things I can get started is limited compred to those who hold the patch in their hands.

Remember that it's much more legitimate for ESOC as a community site / team to approach Voobly than it is for one guy alone to do so. The question they're asking themselves right now is "why is this random dude called incog contacting us instead of the ESOC team themselves"?

@iCourt Yes, you're right. That's why I opened the other thread. As long as ESO is down and unstable, AoE3 is unplayable. I know that some people have stopped playing outright, or have moved on to Rocket League or Starcraft 2. Funnily enough it's those same people who are telling me that we should not be working with Voobly.

Bramboy and minimart " moved on to sc2" long before the servers got unstable, mart rarely plays anyways and neither do I (im playing four different games atm anyways, including aoe) so it might be slightly misplaced to claim you know people that moved on to rocketlesgue or sc2 :p
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

I'm talking about the people who have so far been opposed to "Operation First Date with Voobly".
Garja wrote:
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Then it is only me that has "moved on to rocketleague"?
Germany tilanus
Retired Contributor

Post by tilanus »

celtic_neonom wrote:The problem with a new servers is the same as with the patch. Both are better but people do not use. The problem with gameranger is the lack of players.

That's my fear as well..

AoE3 is primarily sold on Steam and most Steam players aren't part of the community, because its existence is not obvious to them. Even fewer of them check the Steam community-hub for potential links and resources (in which ESOC is not very present either). Hoping for a lucky hit from a Google search or a reddit visit is currently the only thing that we do.

Connecting ESOC FP players with Voobly is something we could do with ease thanks to the launcher. Getting all AoE3 players to switch to Voobly is a completely different thing though. You have the same phenomenon in AoE2, where all the pro players of the 'true' AoK (not AoE2HD) moved to Voobly with their very own User Patch. It undoubtedly leads to a further fragmentation of the scene, even though it also improves the experience and quality for the niche.

I'd still prefer to stay with ESO, but the way it is maintained by MS definitely has to change. I know their community managers aren't very familiar with AoE3 and have not a big say in MS at all. However, in case we do not know anyone higher ranking, they're our only chance. I think maybe we need to increase pressure and raise the community manager's awareness for how crucial a good ESO is for AoE3 as a whole. I think most of them don't even know all the facettes of this topic and how big their responsibility is regarding the future course (welfare or downfall) of AoE3.

The longer ESO is having these stupid issues the worse it'll be for AoE3 as a whole.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

yesh, since i can't also put goodspeed in that basket

look, stop picking apart my rhetoric @jerom
Garja wrote:
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

@tilaus , good analysis, can't disagree with that

problem is that i don't really think that microsoft is ever going to go past just makign ESO stable, and they can't even do that these days :/

imo, it's best to push the ESOC launcher / patch as hard as possible on steam and use THAT to unite the community. obviously it would be better with official microsoft support, but we don't have that and thus must make do with the means we DO have
Garja wrote:
Germany tilanus
Retired Contributor

Post by tilanus »

@iNcock (that's for Tilaus :biggrin: )
Yea, in more than 10 years of being a part of the creative Age of Empires community I learnt rather quickly that one shouldn't expect Microsoft to actually solve things. I've more and more come to the conclusion that MS is usually causing more problems for the community/fanbase than solving. DIY FTW! :chinese:
No Flag celtic_neonom
Crossbow

Post by celtic_neonom »

celtic_neonom wrote:The problem with a new servers is the same as with the patch. Both are better but people do not use. The problem with gameranger is the lack of players.

OOOps I meant to say The problem with gameranger is the same as with the patch.

The problem in both cases is the lack of players.

There is a question about whether gameranger is good if it had more people.
No Flag celtic_neonom
Crossbow

Post by celtic_neonom »

AoE3 is primarily sold on Steam and most Steam players aren't part of the community, because its existence is not obvious to them. Even fewer of them check the Steam community-hub for potential links and resources (in which ESOC is not very present either). Hoping for a lucky hit from a Google search or a reddit visit is currently the only thing that we do.

Another way of promotion is through clans. That's how I found out about ESOC

The use of the patch in twitch games is also a good idea.