Rip ESO-A

Here you can post about your scenario's, mods, custom maps and YouTube channels!
Bavaria Gichtenlord
Howdah
Donator 03

Re: ESO-Assistant | version 3.5 | by XaKO

Post by Gichtenlord »

Not enough walls. I like your color though ;)
r]
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

Kaiserklein wrote:
pecelot wrote:from what I've heard, some players use it already, what would possibly wrong with that? also, in ESO-A you have a blacklist, so promoted by you, that is not endorsed by ESOC :!:

Who cares if players already do it on their own ? It's not the same as spreading it like this. You could also say that some players already use mh, so what's wrong with spreading it ? It just makes the game more fair ! Seriously though, this argument is useless.

lol, your comparison is pure absurd. Literally all it has to do with the IP case is the word „spreading".

Kaiserklein wrote:Not sure what the blacklist has to do with what I'm saying though ? I do like the concept, however it spots only cheaters who spawn cheat units, aka the most irrelevant cheaters. Those guys usually wait for you in qs anyway, because everyone knows who they are since spawning monster truck is obviously a cheat. The real cheaters, those for whom we need a bl, are those who use sneaky moesbar cheats, like spawning some villagers here, a few huss there... For those you need a crowdfunded bl, based on post-game stats.

I guess if you submit enough proof, that kind of person will be pinned to a blacklist.
I brought that up since you mentioned that apparently ESOC supported the ESO-A.
United States of America dicktator_
Howdah
EWT
ESO: Conquerer999

Post by dicktator_ »

The gist of it is that this kind of software is meant to be in the hands of only a select few, not in the hands of the masses. When only in the hands of a few people, the IP checker can be put to good use, such as catching people who try to smurf tournaments, while not damaging the smurf culture that this game has enjoyed for years. Kaiserklein has already explained why smurfing is necessary in this game and everything he said on the matter is on point. Right now this software does not have many users, but I shudder to think what would happen if the word spread and more people started checking for IPs, and kicking anyone they believe to be a smurf. It's detrimental to the health of the game, because you're damaging a part of the game that has helped keep it alive for years. You'd be hard pressed to find a top tier player that hasn't smurfed at least once.
steniothejonjoe wrote:I can micro better than 99% of the player base and that's 100% objective
:mds:
Great Britain InsectPoison
Lancer

Post by InsectPoison »

I have a $800 program which i installed illegally telling me peoples IP, suck it.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

I insist that you remove this feature. It has nothing to do with ruining the game; its a matter of integrity and respect for privacy. This is a case of fundamental individual rights and moral values. Frankly, it's sad that this is not at all a concern to you. While irrelevant, it is also illegal in numerous countries.

What would be acceptable is an admin ip-checker that alerts users of confirmed cheaters automatically, disclosing no IP information.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

I was told lately that it's not illegal since you agreed to give out your IP while signing on ESO, no?
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

You can probably just get the IP using this simple free tool: https://www.wireshark.org/

So yeah an IP checker is no problem
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

pecelot wrote:I was told lately that it's not illegal since you agreed to give out your IP while signing on ESO, no?
Although exceedingly likely, it is irrelevant to the (irrelevant) argument as it only applies to client host servers (Microsoft). It's legal because IP:s as such are public information to any sane legislation.

I really don't give half a shit about the legality of it, though.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

edeholland wrote:You can probably just get the IP using this simple free tool: https://www.wireshark.org/

So yeah an IP checker is no problem
If you have absolutely no interest in morality, sure – no problem (except for fascist territories whose legislation forbids maintaining IP databases).
United States of America dicktator_
Howdah
EWT
ESO: Conquerer999

Post by dicktator_ »

Before this, there were three barriers to obtaining access to an ip checker.
1. You had to know such a thing was possible.
2. You had to know what to look for.
3. You had to use a software that isn't exactly user friendly.
These barriers ensured that only a few people had access to the IP checker, which as I said before, is fine. However, by adding it to the esoc assistant, xakops has essentially removed all of these barriers. Now people that before have never thought of IP checking will use it, which is worrying because of the effect it may have on smurfing.
steniothejonjoe wrote:I can micro better than 99% of the player base and that's 100% objective
:mds:
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Who cares about smurfing, it's cancer anyway. Zoom has a point though.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

so it's OK to have it as an individual, but bad when someone spreads it? it doesnt really make sense, at least in terms of legality
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

I don't think it's illegal, just a little questionable.
France Diarouga
Lancer
Donator 01
ESO: diarouga

Post by Diarouga »

It's not fine at all. Also now people who really want to smurf will use VPNs, which will simply lead to laggy games.
At the end you can't even figure out who your opponent is and people who don't use that IP checker will have to deal with lag.
United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Post by _H2O »

Whenever I smurfed in the past I didn't really hide who I was. I just used the lower rated account and the delay in community awareness to play games on it. You can QS into a slew of PR 25-35 players with a major account. Hosted games also many people will play with you in at least once.

I have not in the past experienced any problems getting games and I highly doubt this tool would change that.

What are the usage statistics on this tool?

As a person who has used wireshark and shared with people that it is possible this tool is super useful. When I find someone who is cheating I can avoid them in QS (Making QS viable again). Furthermore when I queue into a laggy game vs 4 asian symbols guy from taiwan I can just leave the queue. The tool is the first real answer to cheaters that the common player has. Pesting doesnt block QS matches and a lot of cheaters also have many accounts. So honestly as a mid level player (PR 25-32) I would be using this tool and keeping track of IP + account combos that have cheated and then avoid those people if I match them on QS. I also would not publish this list if I were maintaining it. I would just use it for personal use.

In the situation of top players this is sort of a non-issue as most of the games we play are on the EP with known people.

As far as the tool goes, I would listen to urmom69 aka irish on that. He seemed to have some great thoughts on what to do here.
United States of America roiarthurbis
Skirmisher
Donator 01
ESO: roiarthurbis

Post by roiarthurbis »

_H2O wrote:Whenever I smurfed in the past I didn't really hide who I was. I just used the lower rated account and the delay in community awareness to play games on it. You can QS into a slew of PR 25-35 players with a major account. Hosted games also many people will play with you in at least once.

I have not in the past experienced any problems getting games and I highly doubt this tool would change that.

What are the usage statistics on this tool?

As a person who has used wireshark and shared with people that it is possible this tool is super useful. When I find someone who is cheating I can avoid them in QS (Making QS viable again). Furthermore when I queue into a laggy game vs 4 asian symbols guy from taiwan I can just leave the queue. The tool is the first real answer to cheaters that the common player has. Pesting doesnt block QS matches and a lot of cheaters also have many accounts. So honestly as a mid level player (PR 25-32) I would be using this tool and keeping track of IP + account combos that have cheated and then avoid those people if I match them on QS. I also would not publish this list if I were maintaining it. I would just use it for personal use.

In the situation of top players this is sort of a non-issue as most of the games we play are on the EP with known people.

As far as the tool goes, I would listen to urmom69 aka irish on that. He seemed to have some great thoughts on what to do here.

Just a question, how would you avoid someone cheating in qs when ignoring them does nothing.
Great Britain britishmusketeer
Howdah

Post by britishmusketeer »

roiarthurbis wrote:Just a question, how would you avoid someone cheating in qs when ignoring them does nothing.

Add them to your friends list and don't queue for a game if they are online.
United States of America roiarthurbis
Skirmisher
Donator 01
ESO: roiarthurbis

Post by roiarthurbis »

britishmusketeer wrote:
roiarthurbis wrote:Just a question, how would you avoid someone cheating in qs when ignoring them does nothing.

True, but then your friends list is spammed with cheaters. I thought h2o found a way que in qs but not connect with them.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

roiarthurbis wrote:
britishmusketeer wrote:

True, but then your friends list is spammed with cheaters. I thought h2o found a way que in qs but not connect with them.
Ye he has an ip checker so when he ques with them and the 5 second countdown starts he checks their ip real quick and then cancels if its a cheater
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Technically I guess you could block their IPs in your router so that you won't be able to connect to them.
United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Post by _H2O »

Correct
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player
EWTNWC LAN SilverAdvanced Division WinnerDonator 01

Post by lordraphael »

Diarouga wrote:It's not fine at all. Also now people who really want to smurf will use VPNs, which will simply lead to laggy games.
At the end you can't even figure out who your opponent is and people who don't use that IP checker will have to deal with lag.

arent you using an IP checker yourself ? :)
breeze wrote: they cant even guess how much f***ing piece of stupid retarded they look they are trying to give lesson to people who are over pr35 and know the best mu. im pretty sure that we need a page that only pr30+ post and then we could have a nice discussins.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

Are all the functions working? The scenario installer seems to not be working (or I'm just too stupid). Same goes for the IP checker.
Pay more attention to detail.
Russia XaKOps
Skirmisher
ESO: XaKOps

Post by XaKOps »

Gendarme wrote:Are all the functions working? The scenario installer seems to not be working (or I'm just too stupid). Same goes for the IP checker.

Yes, all working. Scenarios installed in C:\Users\******\Documents\My Games\Age of Empires 3\Scenario directory.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

@XaKOps I assure you that no files have been added to my C:\Users\[Username]\Documents\My Games\Age of Empires 3\Scenario directory.
Pay more attention to detail.