Digital Signature

Here you can post about your scenario's, mods, custom maps and YouTube channels!
Romania mandosrex
Musketeer

Digital Signature

Post by mandosrex »

This is a long shot but since I saw such an active community here, it's worth a try.
Also, maybe the ESOC patch also had this problem, who knows.

So, I have a custom exe for my mod, with a different name and different file paths changed inside it, the normal stuff. And everything was fine, until I applied the UnHardcode Patch over it, a very necessary tool for advanced AoE3 mods.
Unfortunately, applying the patch over the game's exe also gets rid of the file's digital signature. Which causes the file to show up as a thread to antiviruses, which really really sucks...

You can check the file here, and as you can see the file has no viruses or anything, but if you click on File Detail you can see that it misses a digital signature.

Signature verification: The digital signature of the object did not verify.

Now, is there any way to digitally sign the file once again so it doesn't show up as a threat anymore? For free, of course, because my mod is free and so paying for anything from my own pocket is not fair for anyone involved.

Thank you.
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Re: Digital Signature

Post by musketeer925 »

Not sure if you're still popping in here, but ESOC patch has a modified .exe and initially had some problems with people's anti-viruses, but they largely go away on their own after it gets downloaded a bit and you instruct people how to get around the warnings from their anti-viruses about the signature.

Once its something more people use, it seems like anti-viruses tend to begin to recognize it as a safe file.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

musketeer925 wrote:Not sure if you're still popping in here, but ESOC patch has a modified .exe and initially had some problems with people's anti-viruses, but they largely go away on their own after it gets downloaded a bit and you instruct people how to get around the warnings from their anti-viruses about the signature.

Once its something more people use, it seems like anti-viruses tend to begin to recognize it as a safe file.

In a sense its scary that they're monitoring your behaviour so well. Its interesting nonetheless.
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Post by musketeer925 »

theoretically that kind of data is anonymized when sent to antivirus companies' databases.

but yes, when you run software on your PC it can track what you do. Only run software you trust.