Trigger help - Online Army Create

Here you can post about your scenario's, mods, custom maps and YouTube channels!
Belgium Mahoke87
Crossbow
ESO: Mahoke87

Trigger help - Online Army Create

Post by Mahoke87 »

Hello everyone,

for a map I'm currently working on I need to create a unit, send it from spawnpoint A to end of the line B.
The players shouldn't be able to control these units.

I tried :
Army deploy/move Player 5 : Works great offline, doesn't do anything online. Google confirmed.
Army deploy/move Player 0 : Move doesn't work / no auto attack from players. Google confirmed.

Is there something else I could or should be doing?
Belgium Mahoke87
Crossbow

Re: Trigger help - Online Army Create

Post by Mahoke87 »

For the record,

Army Create for a Computer doesn't work online.
I'm currently using an Army Create Player 1 -> Army Conver to Player 5 (Computer) and then moving the army.

This seems to be working.
I'm getting quite some views but 0 reply's.

Is the AOE3 Editor scene dead or am I on the wrong forum for this?
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Post by musketeer925 »

There probably aren't many scenario developers left around here. I did a lot of scenario and custom trigger development back in the day.

You can use some of the methods suggested in this thread on "Deploying Armies for Computer Players and Moving them":

http://aoe3.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/for ... ,34168,,10

Another solution would be to use some of the custom trigger packs available that add more conditions/effects. These trigger packs were developed to address many of the missing features in the standard trigger set. Most complicated scenarios are either impossible or very impractical to develop without the use of custom triggers. However, using all of them adds so many new effects and conditions, many of which are more complicated to use, that it can make scenario design a bit more daunting. They have other effects that would allow you to do something like:

- Unit Create Multi
- Move Units in Area

Most of the custom trigger packs can be downloaded from AoE3H:

http://aoe3.heavengames.com/downloads/l ... ch=trigger

Some warnings with custom triggers:
- Custom triggers were developed by community members. Certain effects may or may not work, or using certain ones may even cause all your triggers to start failing.
- Mister SCP's pack, specifically, has an effect called "Trigger Loader" and many of his effects are marked "*TL*". If you're using TL conditions or effects, you need to have a trigger that runs the Trigger Loader effect at the beginning of the game to configure a number of helper functions for some of his effects. I'd recommend avoiding this where possible, because Trigger Loader is a rather large effect that can cause lag at the start of the game.If you try to use a TL effect without calling Typeloader first, no triggers in your scenario will run.
- When the game is loading random maps that use triggers (I think of the game's built-in RMs, this is just Silk Road and Ceylon), every trigger created has an "extra" condition and effect that are the defaults. These defaults, normally, are the "Always" and "SetIdleProcessing" condition and effect respectively. These don't really do anything when combined with other stuff. However, the game decides what the defaults are by just making the first-loaded condition and effect the default ones. The game loads the trigger3 folder alphabetically by filename, so if you have *.xml files that have names that go before the default typeloader.xml, they'll be loaded first and their first condition and effect will become the default. Most effects will cause OOS if they are loaded on a random map as the default in this manner. To fix this, I'd recommend either renaming "typeloader.xml" to "_typeloader.xml" to force it to load first and avoid OOS on those maps.

I don't remember what pack "Move Units in Area" would be in, so you may have to do some digging.
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by musketeer925 »

I think the one you'll need is actually called "Move From Area To Near Unit", available in the typetest_AdvTrig.xml in this one (which is basically a compilation of most of the major trigger packs, by various authors):

http://aoe3.heavengames.com/downloads/s ... dlciI7fX0=

If that doesn't do what you need let me know and I can write you a trigger.
Belgium Mahoke87
Crossbow

Post by Mahoke87 »

Hey Musk,

I got it running but I didn't explain it properly in the thread before.
Army Create Player 1 -> Army convert to Player 5
And a second looping trigger is moving the Army from Player 1 to the waypoint.

Runs great :) Here's 2 editor pictures whats going down http://imgur.com/a/PjmUg
You buy units to attack the other teams lane, increase your income.
Buy more defense, use special units etc. If a unit reaches the end, -1 life, 0 life : other team won.

I think most people know this style but it's fun and I couldn't find it on AOE3!
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by musketeer925 »

Good to hear you got it working!
Belgium Mahoke87
Crossbow

Post by Mahoke87 »

Hello again,

I really feel like the engine AOE3 runs on is a bit too old for a custom map.
The units seem to be lagging etc.
How come there isn't any new RTS like AOE is out there since ages...

*sad face*
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by musketeer925 »

Yeah, excessive unit counts and trigger usage can cause lag if you're not careful.