European Union Interjection
ESOC Media Team
Donator 03
ESO: Interjection

01 Feb 2017, 03:36

FINAL VERSION OF CARDS BELOW (Feel free to delete all other previous versions you may have accumulated)

Cards v1.8.age3Yscn
FINAL VERSION (for now)
(72.45 KiB) Downloaded 182 times

PREVIOUS VERSION:
Cards v1,7.age3Yscn
Previous version
(68.22 KiB) Downloaded 163 times

Today I streamed a 1v1 micro scenario I've been making over the last few weeks called 'Cards'.

The game plays out over 5 rounds. Each round you start on a fresh blank map with nothing except a town center. Your goal is to destroy the enemy town center using only homecity shipments. Shipments arrive instantly and you begin the game with 21 immediately available, once they run out - that's it, you won't get anymore! The player with the most points at the end wins.

However, one final mechanic that makes this format so much fun for me is the 'timer'. Each shipment you send will begin a 120 second countdown, if it hits 0 - YOU lose the round. The timer can only be stopped by forcing your opponent to send one of their shipments! Then the timer will start ticking for them (meaning it won't be counting you out) and it might be advantageous to keep it that way (by not sending anymore of your shipments - at least until you absolutely have too!)

The timer is designed to keep the game moving, discourage passive play and add a layer of depth to picking cards (or perhaps... not picking). Basically, it acts as a kind of resource. If the timer is in your favor but you lose a fight horribly (or you see your opponent over commit way to many shipments to a round) it might be best to just micro your remaining units the best you can to buy as much time as possible. The more time you buy, the longer it will take for them to siege down your TC meaning the closer the timer will be to running out (and if that timers in your favor they'll have to commit more shipments to kill it faster - less they'll have for later rounds!)

The last couple of weeks I've been having a ton of fun prototyping and playtesting this with @WickedCossack & others. This version isn't yet finished but it is playable in scenario form with static premade decks. At the moment, this really is a kind of a proof of concept, I wanted to make sure it worked/was possible, was actually fun to play, was fun to watch, etc before even beginning to think about writing it in XML as an actual map (which would enable custom decks & make it compatible with Aiz's UI... and basically make it tournament ready ;) ). That's the dream though. Well... actually the dream would be to have my own patch specifically for this game mode where we can think up awesome new shipments & repurpose old existing ones. But that's a way off yet.

TL;DR
I made a scenario that I think's super fun. It takes the best bits from AOE3 (shipments & micro intensive battles) and turns them into a fast paced exciting 1v1 strategy format. For some reason this has sparked a huge interest in me and I'm playing the game a lot recently (it's also really helping with my micro)! I'll totally be streaming it soon so be sure to check out my YouTube and Twitch channels.

https://www.twitch.tv/interjectionVideos
_________

If you have any thoughts, suggestions, ideas, questions, whatever it is, please do comment! I'll be watching this thread very closely for the next few weeks!

Patch Notes V1.8

DOWNLOAD AVAILABLE AT THE TOP OF THE FIRST POST OF THIS THREAD.

Previous patch notes are available throughout this thread.

Gameplay / Mechanic Changes:

-Draws (ties) are no longer possible (e.g., if the score is 2-2 and no one has any shipments left, the winner of the previous round will still have 60 seconds to go first; except they won't be able to so will concede the round & the final point).

-Once both players have ran out of shipments, the 2 minute timer is now switched off. The issue was that at the very end of the game, the final player to send all their shipments was essentially punished for doing so with an unshakable countdown until they lose. On the final round (e.g., score 2-2) it therefore became advantageous to send all your remaining shipments ASAP to avoid this. As a result, games between close evenly matched opponents were decided more by the fastest finger as opposed to any real skill (e.g., their micro or shipment choices/management).

-Villagers can no longer be garrisoned in the town center. Being able to do so made India's shipments more powerful than they should have been.

-This also means there are no longer any stationary units with a ranged attack available in the scenario (outposts, forts, TCs etc have now all been removed in various previous versions). Such units were not in spirit of a micro game and didn't 'feel fun'. They are also problematic now that it's possible for the timer to be turned off at the end of the game since they could facilitate potential stalemate situations (where one player will not send his units at a building in fear of losing but the other player cannot approach those units since buildings do not move).

-Starting the game with the difficulty set to 'Expert' will now trigger a 5 hussar fight at the beginning of the game (instead of a coin flip) to determine who goes first/second on round 1 (the loser goes first). This change is for competitive players who prefer not to leave such things to chance.

-Town Centers now spawn slightly closer to each other. This change reduces unit walk time before entering combat (which felt slightly too long, particularly at the start of each round & whenever the timer switched players).

-The previous change also makes it less valuable to jam artillery behind the TC into the very corner of the map where nothing could approach them from behind (the slightly more forward TC now means units sieging it on the front will be out of range of such artillery).

-Players now begin the game with 21 shipments (up from 20). Every civ now has enough shipments to send all 10 industrial age cards, all 10 fortress age cards, and 1 colonial age card (though players may send more than 1 if they are prepared to forgo a shipment in a later age (e.g., in some situations 8 pikes might be more valuable than 10 xbows/1 falc/etc). This change was made to help patch unit composition holes in some civs (e.g., Dutch which lacks cav shipments can now send the colonial 3 cav, Ottoman which would benefit from more Jans can now send the colonial 5 jans and Sioux which needs siege now have access to every war club shipments).

-The Sioux have not been given a fire pit as suggested nor have they been changed in any other way. Upon further testing, I really don't think they need help. They now have access to every war club shipment (see previous change) which helps a lot with their siege. Additionally, having access to 200 pop helps enormiously to offset there seemingly weaker units.

-Germany still start with 12 shipments (to offset the value of their free Uhlan, 4 per industrial shipment, 3 per fortress).

-Deck rebalance #02 brings some small changes (see images on first post of this thread). Next balance patch will likely come from the community after a tournament (I hope).

-The game plays out over a best of 5 (no change from previous versions). Best of 3 has been tested buts results in siege cheese being FAR to strong. It also seems to remove an element of strategy where shipment planning/management is concerned (AKA Card advantage).

-If the game is started in the post industrial age (not recommended), players will now correctly have a population limit of 30 (as well as Guard xbows, guard pikes, euro arsenal ups for all Native/Asian civs, etc (no change from previous version)).

Other Changes:

-Some notifications/timers have had spelling errors corrected.

-The coin flip at the start of the game now displays its results AFTER the other notifications (which looks nicer).

-Players should now maintain constant LOS over the whole map for the entire game (previously at the end of each round it would disappear whilst there were no units on the map).
Attachments
Iro.png
Iro.png (182.71 KiB) Viewed 996 times
Sioux.png
Sioux.png (177.27 KiB) Viewed 996 times
Spanish.png
Spanish.png (173.8 KiB) Viewed 1429 times
Russia.png
Russia.png (199.04 KiB) Viewed 1429 times
Ports.png
Ports.png (185.12 KiB) Viewed 1429 times
Ottoman.png
Ottoman.png (180.66 KiB) Viewed 1429 times
Japan.png
Japan.png (198.72 KiB) Viewed 1429 times
India.png
India.png (216.92 KiB) Viewed 1429 times
Germans.png
Germans.png (128.28 KiB) Viewed 1429 times
Dutch.png
Dutch.png (172.9 KiB) Viewed 1429 times
French.png
French.png (183.71 KiB) Viewed 1429 times
China.png
China.png (224 KiB) Viewed 1429 times
British.png
British.png (163.12 KiB) Viewed 1429 times
Aztec.png
Aztec.png (165.73 KiB) Viewed 1429 times
United States of America site
Lancer
Donator 01
ESO: site

01 Feb 2017, 03:44

I love you.

Join the Insight Studios Discord!
https://discord.gg/SB6JJ8T

Fuck this place.
Singapore milku3459
Lancer
ESO: jamescheif100

01 Feb 2017, 04:16

Crosses Interjection's gaming-mistress Hearthstone with his cheated-on-wife AOE3?
I love it! I got to see the stream and the potential depth of the game is enormous! Great concept
1/5/17
No Flag ovi12
Jaeger

01 Feb 2017, 04:45

Btw Interjection " at least until you absolutely have too!" its "to" not "too"
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
Singapore milku3459
Lancer
ESO: jamescheif100

01 Feb 2017, 05:30

ovi12 wrote:Btw Interjection " at least until you absolutely have too!" its "to" not "too"

Sometimes I wonder if Interjection really is a Briton studying linguistics for a degree rather than a Chinese with a posh accent and a tea addiction.

I see what you did with your flag Inter :P
1/5/17
New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
ESOC Media Team
ESO: Nice Smurf :D

01 Feb 2017, 06:18

Saw the stream. Love it.
No Flag frisoeva
Crossbow

01 Feb 2017, 06:51

I liked it, I think you should give russia some pavlov though
Australia wardyb1
Musketeer
ESO: wardyb1

01 Feb 2017, 07:22

Sounds good.
Once downloaded, where do I put it in my files?
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 01
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Game: AoE Online

01 Feb 2017, 11:02

wardyb1 wrote:Sounds good.
Once downloaded, where do I put it in my files?

C:\Users\YOUR_WINDOWS_USERNAME_HERE\Documents\My Games\Age of Empires 3\Scenario
Poland pecelot
ESOC Community Team
Donator 02
ESO: Pezet

01 Feb 2017, 11:19

That's actually a very nice and refreshing idea! Thanks for the efforts and I'm looking forward for more! :flowers:
My Tips of the Day and COMPSTOMP threads! Be sure to check out the ESOC Strategy Wall! :flowers:
Kyrgyzstan AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE
Dragoon
ESO: dats my secret

01 Feb 2017, 12:01

thanks man, after watching your stream this mite be the first scenario that i'd play regularly without getting bored of it. looks like good fun and some various strategic options.

quick edit: japanese didnt seem underpowered for me, blackstar didnt understand how the scenario works and he quit with having 5 more shipments left than yurashic had, it would have been smooth sailing from there on..
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 01

01 Feb 2017, 12:35

Hey @Interjection , I really like this idea and thought I could help you out with some custom triggers if you'd like.
I have created two new trigger effects which make it possible to show actual player names in the timers and shipment/score count indicators. I've attached an image of the result (my UI is a bit edited, don't worry about that) and I've also attached an edited version of your scenario using the new effects so you can see them in action (only for timer and initial shipment count). If you want to get these custom effects and freely use them in the scenario editor, download the included file "typetest_mut.xml" and put it in the "trigger3" folder of your aoe3 installation directory. Relevant new effects are "Change Name As Player Name" and "Counter:Add Timer Player". The file also contains a bunch of various other trigger effects and conditions that I've created/modified over the years.

Hope it helps!

EDIT: Interjection's v1,2 now features the new triggers, enjoy!
Attachments
cards v1.3-mut.age3Yscn
for illustrative purposes only
(54.95 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
typetest_mut.xml
(25.38 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
cards trigger showcase.jpg
cards trigger showcase.jpg (292.57 KiB) Viewed 2187 times
Brazil lemmings121
Howdah
ESO: lemmings121

01 Feb 2017, 14:18

this looks nice, I'll try it out!
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
ESOC Media Team
ESO: mr_bramboy

01 Feb 2017, 14:24

Up for a round of cards?

Gwent, specifically.
Germany lordraphael
Howdah

01 Feb 2017, 14:28

gwent <3 actually applied for the closed beta of gwent. curious how this will turn out. I loved it in the witcher 3 altho im not interested in card games at all.
breeze wrote:they cant even guess how much f***ing piece of stupid retarded they look they are trying to give lesson to people who are over pr35 and know the best mu. im pretty sure that we need a page that only pr30+ post and then we could have a nice discussins.
Spain NekoBerk
Dragoon
ESO: NekoBerk

01 Feb 2017, 15:34

Mr_Bramboy wrote:Up for a round of cards?

Gwent, specifically.

We can play if you want :D
"That's why we sing for these kids who don't have a thing
Except for a dream and a fuckin' rap magazine " - Eminem

"And we hate po-po
Wanna kill us dead in the street fo sho' " - Kendrick Lamar
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
ESOC Media Team
ESO: mr_bramboy

01 Feb 2017, 15:49

lordraphael wrote:gwent <3 actually applied for the closed beta of gwent. curious how this will turn out. I loved it in the witcher 3 altho im not interested in card games at all.

I've been playing the closed beta, it's great but imbalanced :D
United States of America noissance
Howdah
ESO: noissance

01 Feb 2017, 17:07

Seems pretty cool guys
Dragoon

01 Feb 2017, 18:58

anyone on mediocre gameplay level interested in playing this w me the next days?
No Flag umeu
Gendarme

02 Feb 2017, 23:36

Seemed like a fun game. Kinda reminds me of gwent, the witcher mini game
I kissed a girl and I liked it
Popped her cherry with my chapstick
I kissed a girl just to try it
I hope my wife don't mind it
It felt so wrong, it felt so right
Don't mean I'm in love tonight
I liked it
Dragoon

02 Feb 2017, 23:59

played it today a cpl of times vs aizamk and other much better players than me, its rlly fun but some civs are just way stronger than others, especially halbs, doppels, cuirs and anything tanky with handattack becomes incredible good when you can pop it on your enemy from TC or forward tower/fort..
No Flag umeu
Gendarme

03 Feb 2017, 03:13

Can otto send spahis
Popped her cherry with my chapstick
I kissed a girl just to try it
I hope my wife don't mind it
It felt so wrong, it felt so right
Don't mean I'm in love tonight
I liked it
Canada _NiceKING_
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 01
ESO: _NiceKING_

05 Feb 2017, 19:40

is 1.3 coming any time soon?
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 01

05 Feb 2017, 19:52

_NiceKING_ wrote:is 1.3 coming any time soon?

Way ahead of you fam. Version 2 is already out, just not yet uploaded here.
Canada _NiceKING_
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 01
ESO: _NiceKING_

05 Feb 2017, 19:55

EAGLEMUT wrote:
_NiceKING_ wrote:is 1.3 coming any time soon?

Way ahead of you fam. Version 2 is already out, just not yet uploaded here.

wow really, can u upload it?

Forum Info

Return to “User-created Content”