Interjection's Card Game

Here you can post about your scenario's, mods, custom maps and YouTube channels!
Great Britain ListlessSalmon
Skirmisher
ESO: ListlessSalmon

Re: Interjection's Card Game

Post by ListlessSalmon »

What was the ladder project? ESOC was previously working on a ladder? Is the current elo one insufficient in some way?

Also this scenario is pretty OP, thanks for the work interjection :smile:.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

Yes, we were. Having our own ladders and data of played matches would allow us to do precisely things like ELO for Cards or ELO for EP.
momuuu wrote: theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
Great Britain Interjection
Howdah
Donator 04
ESO: Interjection

Post by Interjection »

Ahh that's a shame, thanks for the update though. I'll release the final versions as Cards v1.8 for now then. The Rated and OBS version I suppose will also be put on indefinite hold
Howdah
Donator 04

Post by Interjection »

Patch Notes V1.8

DOWNLOAD AVAILABLE AT THE TOP OF THE FIRST POST OF THIS THREAD.

Previous patch notes are available throughout this thread.

Gameplay / Mechanic Changes:

-Draws (ties) are no longer possible (e.g., if the score is 2-2 and no one has any shipments left, the winner of the previous round will still have 60 seconds to go first; except they won't be able to so will concede the round & the final point).

-Once both players have ran out of shipments, the 2 minute timer is now switched off. The issue was that at the very end of the game, the final player to send all their shipments was essentially punished for doing so with an unshakable countdown until they lose. On the final round (e.g., score 2-2) it therefore became advantageous to send all your remaining shipments ASAP to avoid this. As a result, games between close evenly matched opponents were decided more by the fastest finger as opposed to any real skill (e.g., their micro or shipment choices/management).

-Villagers can no longer be garrisoned in the town center. Being able to do so made India's shipments more powerful than they should have been.

-This also means there are no longer any stationary units with a ranged attack available in the scenario (outposts, forts, TCs etc have now all been removed in various previous versions). Such units were not in spirit of a micro game and didn't 'feel fun'. They are also problematic now that it's possible for the timer to be turned off at the end of the game since they could facilitate potential stalemate situations (where one player will not send his units at a building in fear of losing but the other player cannot approach those units since buildings do not move).

-Starting the game with the difficulty set to 'Expert' will now trigger a 5 hussar fight at the beginning of the game (instead of a coin flip) to determine who goes first/second on round 1 (the loser goes first). This change is for competitive players who prefer not to leave such things to chance.

-Town Centers now spawn slightly closer to each other. This change reduces unit walk time before entering combat (which felt slightly too long, particularly at the start of each round & whenever the timer switched players).

-The previous change also makes it less valuable to jam artillery behind the TC into the very corner of the map where nothing could approach them from behind (the slightly more forward TC now means units sieging it on the front will be out of range of such artillery).

-Players now begin the game with 21 shipments (up from 20). Every civ now has enough shipments to send all 10 industrial age cards, all 10 fortress age cards, and 1 colonial age card (though players may send more than 1 if they are prepared to forgo a shipment in a later age (e.g., in some situations 8 pikes might be more valuable than 10 xbows/1 falc/etc). This change was made to help patch unit composition holes in some civs (e.g., Dutch which lacks cav shipments can now send the colonial 3 cav, Ottoman which would benefit from more Jans can now send the colonial 5 jans and Sioux which needs siege now have access to every war club shipments).

-The Sioux have not been given a fire pit as suggested nor have they been changed in any other way. Upon further testing, I really don't think they need help. They now have access to every war club shipment (see previous change) which helps a lot with their siege. Additionally, having access to 200 pop helps enormiously to offset there seemingly weaker units.

-Germany still start with 12 shipments (to offset the value of their free Uhlan, 4 per industrial shipment, 3 per fortress).

-Deck rebalance #02 brings some small changes (see images on first post of this thread). Next balance patch will likely come from the community after a tournament (I hope).

-The game plays out over a best of 5 (no change from previous versions). Best of 3 has been tested buts results in siege cheese being FAR to strong. It also seems to remove an element of strategy where shipment planning/management is concerned (AKA Card advantage).

-If the game is started in the post industrial age (not recommended), players will now correctly have a population limit of 30 (as well as Guard xbows, guard pikes, euro arsenal ups for all Native/Asian civs, etc (no change from previous version)).

Other Changes:

-Some notifications/timers have had spelling errors corrected.

-The coin flip at the start of the game now displays its results AFTER the other notifications (which looks nicer).

-Players should now maintain constant LOS over the whole map for the entire game (previously at the end of each round it would disappear whilst there were no units on the map).
Howdah
Donator 04

Post by Interjection »

This has been a passion project of mine for a couple of months now, has greatly improved my micro and has been the source of many hours of entertainment (certainly for me, and I hope everyone else who's played it! :smile: ). Cards is now finished for the time being, I will not make anymore changes to it until after a cash prize tournament (which would be awesome) when there has been time to really find the meta/strengths/weaknesses of each civ. The scenario went through many many iterations and is now unrecognizable from the thing I started with (which I might show on my YouTube for comparison :P ). I'm now very very pleased with what this has become! The whole process of making a gamemode has been quite fufiling, especially to watch people playing & enjoying it. Though, my sympathies go out to all devs and anyone whose ever worked on programming in some way (holy crap these things take longer than you think they will).

A few shout outs are in order!

Firstly, @WickedCossack for your many hours of patience playtesting the first initial versions (which I can safely say were not very fun!)

To @EAGLEMUT for your custom triggers & contributions which made various aspect of the scenario possible

To CD Project Red for creating Gwent & The Witcher 3 which inspired the initial concept

To @Aizamk for your continued support & occasional help checking various triggers (I'm pretty sure nobody knows more than he)

And finally to everyone who helped me playtest & showed enthusiasm for the project, particularly @blackwidow (MASTERdutch), @Hazza54321, @deadrising78, @momuuu, @n0el, @pecelot, @goongoon (and many others I can't remember the names of right now, sorry!!)

Mods, feel free to correct the tags if you happen to know them
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05

Post by EAGLEMUT »

Tags fixed, looking forward to a Cards tournament!
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

:love: :love: :love:
United States of America __Uhlan__
Dragoon
ESO: __UhLaN__

Post by __Uhlan__ »

a cards tourney would be super fun, id for sure sign up.
Sweden deadrising78
Skirmisher
ESO: deadrising78

Post by deadrising78 »

so when is the cards tourney happening?
Canada _NiceKING_
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: _NiceKING_
GameRanger ID: 9999999
Clan: Xbox

Post by _NiceKING_ »

I guess some time after the spring championship (June-July)
Howdah
Donator 04

Post by Interjection »

I think I might run the cards tourney alongside the Spring championships and have the finals the same day,

Have cards first in the morning and the finals in the evening
Sweden deadrising78
Skirmisher
ESO: deadrising78

Post by deadrising78 »

Interjection wrote:I think I might run the cards tourney alongside the Spring championships and have the finals the same day,

Please do! I would join for sure :D
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

Great idea, perhaps worth discussing with the Media Team! :idea:
Germany tilanus
Retired Contributor

Post by tilanus »

@ Interjection (why the fuck is this linking broken): When I first saw the title of this thread I was like Omg, an AoE3 card game, that's awesome! and even though your idea was not quite what I imagined I actually really like it! :D But the reason I post here is this pic which I came across in an AOE meme group:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

It kinda illustrates what I did originally have in mind when reading Interjection's Card Game, because I know a couple of you guys are Hearthstone fans, especially Ryan. :mrgreen: Would be fun to have a AoE3 card set in Hearthstone, no? :maniac:
Howdah
Donator 04

Post by Interjection »

Thanks Tilanus! Glad you like it, an actual AOE3 cardgame (or Hearthstone expansion haha) would be awesome though

Just a quick update on Cards:

I'll be opening sign ups for a small cash prize tournament pretty soon! Firstly though I need to speak to the Media Team about it and get a few real life things out the way.

Ideally, I would like the grand finals of the Cards tournament to be the same day (or the day before/after) the grand finals of the Spring 2017 Championships, TBA

For anyone interested in practicing, the scenario will NOT be changed (V1.8) until after the tournament and the format is likely to be as follows:

Each player selects 5 civs that they will bring to the tournament. They can ONLY play those civs.

From the 5 selected, each player must also nominate a 'leading' civ. One they must use in the first match of every series.

Once a civ is played, it can no longer be used (this will result in matches being BO5)

In later rounds of the event, instead, once a civ has been WON with it can no longer be used (BO9)

The winner of the previous round should select their next civ first. The loser picks afterwards.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Nice, I'll sign up for sure !
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05

Post by EAGLEMUT »

Awesome, me too!
tilanus wrote:@ Interjection (why the fuck is this linking broken):

You need to not put a space after @. :hmm:
No Flag yagoa
Crossbow

Post by yagoa »

Thank you Interjection ! :biggrin:
Is Japan at all viable?
Their civ has the tradeoff for worse cards for sending twice and that is a huge disadvantage isn't it?
Why no Yabusame?
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

Well, when other civs have shipments like 16 musks and 14 musks, they can send 16 yumi twice, for instance :hmm:
No Flag yagoa
Crossbow

Post by yagoa »

pecelot wrote:Well, when other civs have shipments like 16 musks and 14 musks, they can send 16 yumi twice, for instance :hmm:

True, so swap some Samurai cards for Yabusame and maybe someone will play Japan :D it would be so cool if it was balanced.
Btw is it possible to play Cards w/o EP?
Canada _NiceKING_
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by _NiceKING_ »

yagoa wrote:
pecelot wrote:Well, when other civs have shipments like 16 musks and 14 musks, they can send 16 yumi twice, for instance :hmm:

True, so swap some Samurai cards for Yabusame and maybe someone will play Japan :D it would be so cool if it was balanced.
Btw is it possible to play Cards w/o EP?

ofc, there is no difference. People don't play cards on EP afaik :mrgreen:
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

Well, there are some differences, like ROF of Abus Guns, RR of Dragoons, Spanish Fortress Age shipments etc. :hmm:
No Flag yagoa
Crossbow

Post by yagoa »

Sorry I thought there was something wrong but I just didn't tick warcheifs option while hosting :P
New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
Howdah
ESO: Ex-Contributor

Post by JakeyBoyTH »

Interjection wrote:I think I might run the cards tourney alongside the Spring championships and have the finals the same day,

you are very sexy please keep up the good work :love:
Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk

Ugh Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk
Canada _NiceKING_
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by _NiceKING_ »

Interjection wrote:Ideally, I would like the grand finals of the Cards tournament to be the same day (or the day before/after) the grand finals of the Spring 2017 Championships, TBA

:hmm: :hmm: