Interjection's Card Game

Here you can post about your scenario's, mods, custom maps and YouTube channels!
Great Britain Interjection
Howdah
Donator 04
ESO: Interjection

Interjection's Card Game

Post by Interjection »

PUT THE FILES IN YOUR SCENARIOS FOLDER. C:\Users\*User*\Documents\My Games\Age of Empires 3\Scenario

CARDS
Cards v2.2.age3Yscn
(70.53 KiB) Downloaded 314 times

CARDS OBS
Cards v2.2 OBS.age3Yscn
(73.11 KiB) Downloaded 160 times

Cards is a 1v1 micro scenario that focuses on the best bits of AOE3, intensive fights and shipments.

The game plays out over 5 rounds. Each round you start on a fresh blank map with nothing except a town center. Your goal is to destroy the enemy town center using only homecity shipments. Shipments arrive instantly and you begin the game with 21 immediately available, once they run out - that's it, you won't get anymore! The player with the most points at the end wins.

However, one final mechanic that makes this format so much fun for me is the 'timer'. Each shipment you send will begin a 120 second countdown, if it hits 0 - YOU lose the round. The timer can only be stopped by forcing your opponent to send one of their shipments! Then the timer will start ticking for them (meaning it won't be counting you out) and it might be advantageous to keep it that way (by not sending anymore of your shipments - at least until you absolutely have too!)

The timer is designed to keep the game moving, discourage passive play and add a layer of depth to picking cards (or perhaps... not picking). Basically, it acts as a kind of resource. If the timer is in your favor but you lose a fight horribly (or you see your opponent over commit way to many shipments to a round) it might be best to just micro your remaining units the best you can to buy as much time as possible. The more time you buy, the longer it will take for them to siege down your TC meaning the closer the timer will be to running out (and if that timers in your favor they'll have to commit more shipments to kill it faster - less they'll have for later rounds!)

The last couple of weeks I've been having a ton of fun prototyping and playtesting this with @WickedCossack & others. This version isn't yet finished but it is playable in scenario form with static premade decks. At the moment, this really is a kind of a proof of concept, I wanted to make sure it worked/was possible, was actually fun to play, was fun to watch, etc before even beginning to think about writing it in XML as an actual map (which would enable custom decks & make it compatible with Aiz's UI... and basically make it tournament ready ;) ). That's the dream though. Well... actually the dream would be to have my own patch specifically for this game mode where we can think up awesome new shipments & repurpose old existing ones. But that's a way off yet.

TL;DR
I made a scenario that I think's super fun. It takes the best bits from AOE3 (shipments & micro intensive battles) and turns them into a fast paced exciting 1v1 strategy format. For some reason this has sparked a huge interest in me and I'm playing the game a lot recently (it's also really helping with my micro)! I'll totally be streaming it soon so be sure to check out my YouTube and Twitch channels.

https://www.twitch.tv/interjectionVideos

If you have any thoughts, suggestions, ideas, questions, whatever it is, please do comment! I'll be watching this thread very closely for the next few weeks!

Patch Notes V2.2

DOWNLOAD AVAILABLE AT THE TOP OF THE FIRST POST OF THIS THREAD.

-The LOSER of the previous round will now go first in the next (instead of the winner). This is because 'passing' felt too strong and 'overcommiting' was too easy to punish. This change makes wining a round more advantages, it felt odd to punish players who committed to winning a round.

-When the game is started with the difficulty set to 'expert', each player will spawn 8 hussars for a cav fight (up from 5). The loser of the fight determines who goes first in round 1. More hussars results in a longer fight with more room for skilled micro to pay off. With a smaller number of units the outcome was often simply determined by who got the first hit.

-Victory condition triggers have been updated (fixed). At the start of each round there is now a shipment check, if both players have 0 left - the player with the most points wins the game. If players have equal points the result is a draw and the game will end (without a winner). HOWEVER, if the game was set to 'expert difficultly' a tie is NOT possible! To resolve the draw, there will be a final deciding 'SUDDEN DEATH' round where players get 10 more shipments and can resend all their cards. This change makes the scenario tournament ready (competitive games MUST be set to expert difficult).

-Added 'Cards OBS' which has 6 fully functioning observer slots. Removed the observer slot from ordinary 'Cards'

Previous patch notes are available throughout this thread.

Spanish.png
Russia.png
Ports.png
Ottoman.png
Japan.png
India.png
Germans.png
French.png
Dutch.png
China.png
British.png
Aztec.png
United States of America site
Lancer
Donator 01
ESO: site

Re: Interjection's Card Game

Post by site »

I love you.
Singapore milku3459
Howdah
ESO: milku3459

Post by milku3459 »

Crosses Interjection's gaming-mistress Hearthstone with his cheated-on-wife AOE3?
I love it! I got to see the stream and the potential depth of the game is enormous! Great concept
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

Btw Interjection " at least until you absolutely have too!" its "to" not "too"
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
Singapore milku3459
Howdah
ESO: milku3459

Post by milku3459 »

ovi12 wrote:Btw Interjection " at least until you absolutely have too!" its "to" not "too"

Sometimes I wonder if Interjection really is a Briton studying linguistics for a degree rather than a Chinese with a posh accent and a tea addiction.

I see what you did with your flag Inter :P
New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
Howdah
ESO: Ex-Contributor

Post by JakeyBoyTH »

Saw the stream. Love it.
Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk

Ugh Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk
No Flag frisoeva
Crossbow

Post by frisoeva »

I liked it, I think you should give russia some pavlov though
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: wardyb1

Post by wardyb1 »

Sounds good.
Once downloaded, where do I put it in my files?
“To love the journey is to accept no such end. I have found, through painful experience, that the most important step a person can take is always the next one.”
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

wardyb1 wrote:Sounds good.
Once downloaded, where do I put it in my files?

C:\Users\YOUR_WINDOWS_USERNAME_HERE\Documents\My Games\Age of Empires 3\Scenario
momuuu wrote: ↑theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

That's actually a very nice and refreshing idea! Thanks for the efforts and I'm looking forward for more! :flowers:
Kyrgyzstan AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE
Lancer
ESO: dats my secret

Post by AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE »

thanks man, after watching your stream this mite be the first scenario that i'd play regularly without getting bored of it. looks like good fun and some various strategic options.

quick edit: japanese didnt seem underpowered for me, blackstar didnt understand how the scenario works and he quit with having 5 more shipments left than yurashic had, it would have been smooth sailing from there on..
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05

Post by EAGLEMUT »

Hey @Interjection , I really like this idea and thought I could help you out with some custom triggers if you'd like.
I have created two new trigger effects which make it possible to show actual player names in the timers and shipment/score count indicators. I've attached an image of the result (my UI is a bit edited, don't worry about that) and I've also attached an edited version of your scenario using the new effects so you can see them in action (only for timer and initial shipment count). If you want to get these custom effects and freely use them in the scenario editor, download the included file "typetest_mut.xml" and put it in the "trigger3" folder of your aoe3 installation directory. Relevant new effects are "Change Name As Player Name" and "Counter:Add Timer Player". The file also contains a bunch of various other trigger effects and conditions that I've created/modified over the years.

Hope it helps!

EDIT: Interjection's v1,2 now features the new triggers, enjoy!
Attachments
cards v1.3-mut.age3Yscn
for illustrative purposes only
(54.95 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
typetest_mut.xml
(25.38 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
cards trigger showcase.jpg
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

this looks nice, I'll try it out!
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Up for a round of cards?

Gwent, specifically.
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player
EWTNWC LAN SilverAdvanced Division WinnerDonator 01

Post by lordraphael »

gwent <3 actually applied for the closed beta of gwent. curious how this will turn out. I loved it in the witcher 3 altho im not interested in card games at all.
breeze wrote: they cant even guess how much f***ing piece of stupid retarded they look they are trying to give lesson to people who are over pr35 and know the best mu. im pretty sure that we need a page that only pr30+ post and then we could have a nice discussins.
Spain NekoBerk
Lancer
ESO: Nirket

Post by NekoBerk »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:Up for a round of cards?

Gwent, specifically.

We can play if you want :D
"That's why we sing for these kids who don't have a thing
Except for a dream and a fuckin' rap magazine " - Eminem

"And we hate po-po
Wanna kill us dead in the street fo sho' " - Kendrick Lamar
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

lordraphael wrote:gwent <3 actually applied for the closed beta of gwent. curious how this will turn out. I loved it in the witcher 3 altho im not interested in card games at all.

I've been playing the closed beta, it's great but imbalanced :D
United States of America noissance
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: noissance

Post by noissance »

Seems pretty cool guys
Error 404: Signature not found
Lancer

anyone on mediocre gameplay level interested in playing this w me the next days?
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Seemed like a fun game. Kinda reminds me of gwent, the witcher mini game
Lancer

played it today a cpl of times vs aizamk and other much better players than me, its rlly fun but some civs are just way stronger than others, especially halbs, doppels, cuirs and anything tanky with handattack becomes incredible good when you can pop it on your enemy from TC or forward tower/fort..
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Can otto send spahis
Canada _NiceKING_
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: _NiceKING_
GameRanger ID: 9999999
Clan: Xbox

Post by _NiceKING_ »

is 1.3 coming any time soon?
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05

Post by EAGLEMUT »

_NiceKING_ wrote:is 1.3 coming any time soon?

Way ahead of you fam. Version 2 is already out, just not yet uploaded here.
Canada _NiceKING_
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: _NiceKING_
GameRanger ID: 9999999
Clan: Xbox

Post by _NiceKING_ »

EAGLEMUT wrote:
_NiceKING_ wrote:is 1.3 coming any time soon?

Way ahead of you fam. Version 2 is already out, just not yet uploaded here.

wow really, can u upload it?