Poll: Would you play ESOC FP?

If ESOC was to release a fan patch (more info in post), would you play it and why?

Yes, because I want to be able to play all civs.
48%
Yes, because I want to play rated on ESOC maps.
26%
Yes, for a different reason.
6%
No, because it will be hard to find games on my level.
10%
No, because I don't want any civs to change.
3%
No, for a different reason.
8%

Total votes: 324

No Flag obelixthegreat
Crossbow

Post by obelixthegreat »

Sorry for that noobish question, but how is that patch thing working? (Never used one)
How do you get the patch and at wich PR do you find games?
I would love to play on that patch :)
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Post by musketeer925 »

obelixthegreat wrote:Sorry for that noobish question, but how is that patch thing working? (Never used one)
You would download run an installer to install it. Then, you have a separate desktop icon (or wherever it is you access these sorts of things if you don''t like them on your desktop) for both TAD and the FP.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

umeu wrote:unless you are patching grenadiers, im not interested. and while you are at it, you can change those 5 civs, and change small mistakes here and there, such as grenadiers not being trainable in the barracks.
9/10
No Flag obelixthegreat
Crossbow

Post by obelixthegreat »

musketeer925 wrote:
obelixthegreat wrote:Sorry for that noobish question, but how is that patch thing working? (Never used one)
You would download run an installer to install it. Then, you have a separate desktop icon (or wherever it is you access these sorts of things if you dont like them on your desktop) for both TAD and the FP.
Thanks
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

I'd play this patch all day long anytime I cannot find a game on ZP.
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by musketeer925 »

zoom wrote:I''d play this patch all day long anytime I cannot find a game on ZP1.
No idea if referring to sperm-binding proteins? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZP1
No Flag spadel
Skirmisher

Post by spadel »

Hmmpf I don't really see how you can fix a civ like Otto or Sioux without making them like unplayable. Apart from that good initiative of course. I want to see ship malus 0,5x against any type of land units, decreased range of monitor special attack + only possible against buildings, iro fixed 100w start, and things like steel traps for Sioux/Aztec. I also liked the free hunting dogs thing for ports in the FP and upgrade cards in colonial.

...about otto. just delete the civ, seriously. not balancable without major changes

and yeah give umeu grenadiers
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

spadel wrote:Hmmpf I don''t really see how you can fix a civ like Otto or Sioux without making them like unplayable. Apart from that good initiative of course. I want to see ship malus 0,5x against any type of land units, decreased range of monitor special attack + only possible against buildings, iro fixed 100w start, and things like steel traps for Sioux/Aztec. I also liked the free hunting dogs thing for ports in the FP and upgrade cards in colonial.

...about otto. just delete the civ, seriously. not balancable without major changes

and yeah give umeu grenadiers

lol how is otto unplayable? A fixed 200w start and nerfed abus makes them seem a lot more reasonable lol
No Flag spadel
Skirmisher

Post by spadel »

so you want to forbid them building a tp in age 1? ..how many competitive otto games have you seen on non tp maps? - There's a reason why, that would basically kill em lol

edit: okay maybe not kill them because they can build a tp in transition. but I don't know if the age 1 tp wasn't intended to be some kind of civ specific advantage of ottoman, at least they have special cards to boost trade routes. imo taking away age 1 tp isnt the right way to go.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

nah that makes them the worst civ in the game most likely.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

musketeer925 wrote:
zoom wrote:Id play this patch all day long anytime I cannot find a game on ZP1.
No idea if referring to sperm-binding proteins? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZP1
Precisely that.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

On Trading Posts: Having inter-civilization balance be so dependent upon Trading Posts is poor design in the first place.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Lmao a fixed 200 wood start wouldn't make otto the worst in the game, it would just slow down their age up because they'd have to chop an extra 100w in age 1
No Flag spadel
Skirmisher

Post by spadel »

gibson wrote:Lmao a fixed 200 wood start wouldn''t make otto the worst in the game, it would just slow down their age up because they''d have to chop an extra 100w in age 1

this is not the way to fix a civ. What else does otto have except abus and a strong ff (which is actually that strong because its so fast)? in order to fix them you need them to be a viable civ also on non tp maps and give them options. by just fixing what makes otto op and leaving them behind as they are at the moment you just kill them lol.

I could imagine fixing them by reducing villager training time (maybe giving them the church upgrade for free) and at the same time removing the 3 vil shipment. You could send eco theory instead.
That way their ff is slowed down, but they have a better eco behind, which increases their age 2 and their late age 3. But this is just what I came up with thinking about it for like a couple minutes, no idea if something like this can work, its probably bullshit lol.
No Flag darkcrazy
Crossbow

Post by darkcrazy »

why not spain changes?
they should get back 5 lancer and 9 rods
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

I'd definitely play on a fan patch for the rated esoc maps. Civ balance doesn't really bother me that much tbh' please don't change the civs too much since it'd take people a while to figure out how civs work.

Also, Russia needs a nerf.
No Flag wearegood
Musketeer

Post by wearegood »

A few queries before I vote:

1)Would this not decrease the already small population of players one could play with. thus wouldn't it be very hard to play a 3v3 for example?
2) Would it be very hard to find games for all levels as noobs may not find out about this etc?
3)By rated games do you mean on eso or a different platform?

I'd vote no because I like team games and this could prevent fair match ups for team games.
However, I'd vote yes because map and game changes would be fun to use and may make me better etc..

Any replies would be appreciated.
United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Post by _H2O »

This topic is really important to ESOC can we not discuss actual changes or balance here :). Keep it at a high level for now!
No Flag purplesquid
Dragoon
Donator 03

Post by purplesquid »

For me the main thing is to be easily able to change back and forth between the two. If it could be done easily enough then of course I would play on the patch if I could find games.

Also it really sucks that it can not be official :( An official patch has been a long time coming, , ,
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

spadel wrote:
gibson wrote:Lmao a fixed 200 wood start wouldnt make otto the worst in the game, it would just slow down their age up because theyd have to chop an extra 100w in age 1
this is not the way to fix a civ. What else does otto have except abus and a strong ff (which is actually that strong because its so fast)? in order to fix them you need them to be a viable civ also on non tp maps and give them options. by just fixing what makes otto op and leaving them behind as they are at the moment you just kill them lol.

I could imagine fixing them by reducing villager training time (maybe giving them the church upgrade for free) and at the same time removing the 3 vil shipment. You could send eco theory instead.
That way their ff is slowed down, but they have a better eco behind, which increases their age 2 and their late age 3. But this is just what I came up with thinking about it for like a couple minutes, no idea if something like this can work, its probably bullshit lol.

a fixed 200w start would also slow them down, because they would have to chop 100w in age 1. Decreasing settler train time isnt a bad idea though, assuming abus were needed slightly (32 attack or so instead of 40)
No Flag Hagi
Dragoon

Post by Hagi »

There is something else you should consider on the maps : bring down treasures value.
I have watched a lot of games and I can tell that if someone pick 90w (or 85w) followed by another wood treasure, 90% of the time he won the game.
Same goes for high food treasures (resulting of faster age up for both). Japan becomes too OP in that case for example (not that I complain personally :P)
Those treasures are still too high (you are ahead by 20 points after 6 minutes of play), good players don't let go and maintain their edge and win.
Max 50 would be fair imo.
Other than that, I'm all in for a fan patch.
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

wearegood wrote:A few queries before I vote:

1)Would this not decrease the already small population of players one could play with. thus wouldn''t it be very hard to play a 3v3 for example?
2) Would it be very hard to find games for all levels as noobs may not find out about this etc?

I''d vote no because I like team games and this could prevent fair match ups for team games.
However, I''d vote yes because map and game changes would be fun to use and may make me better etc..

How would this prevent fair match ups for team games? Right now, team games are very boring with civ diversity. India, Iro, Otto, Japan, Sioux can never be played and most times it''s brit/fre/germ mirror.

I think it can only get better.
No Flag drumal
Skirmisher

Post by drumal »

adv wrote:There is something else you should consider on the maps : bring down treasures value.
I have watched a lot of games and I can tell that if someone pick 90w (or 85w) followed by another wood treasure, 90% of the time he won the game.
Same goes for high food treasures (resulting of faster age up for both). Japan becomes too OP in that case for example (not that I complain personally :P)
Those treasures are still too high (you are ahead by 20 points after 6 minutes of play), good players don''t let go and maintain their edge and win.
Max 50 would be fair imo.
Other than that, I''m all in for a fan patch.
u r completely wrong. If one dude pick up 2 wood trasure "90% of the time he won the game" ROFL and the other dude? He may pick up 2 food treasure and he can age up before "wood" player..

U r watching wrong games I think
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by musketeer925 »

wearegood wrote:A few queries before I vote:

1)Would this not decrease the already small population of players one could play with. thus wouldn''t it be very hard to play a 3v3 for example?

I''d vote no because I like team games and this could prevent fair match ups for team games.
However, I''d vote yes because map and game changes would be fun to use and may make me better etc..

1) It''d be very easy to switch between the FP and the regular game, at least technically speaking. Minimal civ changes should mean that strategically speaking, it should also be easy. We''ve also got some other things in mind that we''re discussing to make finding games even easier, but those ideas are not yet developed enough.
2) Again, it''d be easy to switch should you have difficulty on one version depending on the day.
3) ESO rated games.
No Flag bart331
Lancer
Donator 01

Post by bart331 »

i think before thinking about a new fanpatch first some lessons learned need to be drawn from FP1.2:

[span] [/span]1)-alienating large part of communitty from patch due to too many changes
[span] [/span]2)-splittting up community
[span] [/span]3)-balancing aint easy (20 maps + 14 civs means with multiple strategies means countless possibilities)
[span] 4)[/span]-balancing purely based on AS new GP is rubbish
[span] 5)[/span]-some civs are not made to be balanced (Sioux , otto, all small changes to make em less lame make em also kinda unplayable unless u do a million other changes)
[span] 6)[/span]-all changes are with an "intended playstyle" while the beauty of the game is the numerours possible playstyles. FP therefore often resulted in boring age 2 musk huss mirrors since that was the intended playstyle of their [span] [/span]founding father.

Since i have no confidence a new patch will adress these issues i am not in favour of a new patch , tbh last 2 tourneys showed to me that current patch without iro/otto is more balanced than assumed.