Tournament Rules & Discussion

United States of America DayoftheNinja
Skirmisher

Tournament Rules & Discussion

Post by DayoftheNinja »

Time Line

February 1st - February 15th

Brackets will be decided once we have a better idea of the total number of players participating in the tournament. The current tentative schedule is as follows:

Round of 64 (BO3)
February 16th - February 22nd

Round of 32 (BO3)
February 23rd - March 1st

Round of 16 (BO5)
March 2nd - March 8th

Quarter Finals (BO7)
March 9th - March 15th

Semi-Finals (BO7)
March 16th - March 22nd

Finals (BO9) - 3rd/4th (BO7)
March 23rd - March 29th

Note: When necessary, the tournament staff may extend the deadline for any match if scheduling proves to be an issue.

Tournament Rules

Version Restrictions

This tournament will be played with the Wars of Liberty mod, so all players must have the latest version of Wars of Liberty installed. The current version is 1.0.9h, released January 4, 2018. If you downloaded the mod before this date, please run your updater to ensure that you have the correct version.

If you do not have the mod, you can download it here. Simply download and run the installer, following the onscreen instructions, or watch this YouTube video for help.

Civilization Restrictions

These civilization restrictions have the purpose to bring variety to the game series for the community.

You must play X different civilizations, then you can play any civilization one more time. At least every other civilization must be from WoL; you may not use two civilizations from base AoE3 in a row:

In a Best-of-3, you must play 2 different civilizations, then you can play any civilization one more time.
In a Best-of-5, you must play 3 different civilizations, then you can play any civilization one more time.
In a Best-of-7, you must play 4 different civilizations, then you can play any civilization one more time.
In a Best-of-9, you must play 5 different civilizations, then you can play any civilization one more time.

Example for BO3: You must play 2 different civilizations, then you can play any civilization you want one more time.

Game 1 (Best-of-3)

Player A plays Brazilians
Player B plays French

Game 2 (Best-of-3)

Player A may not play Brazilians
Player B must play a WoL civilization

Player A plays Dutch
Player B plays Canadians

Game 3 (Best-of-3)

Player A must play a WoL civilization (including Brazilians)
Player B may play any civilization (including French or Canadians)

Player A plays Brazilians
Player B plays Canadians

Note: When necessary, the tournament staff may ban a civilization if they deem it necessary (previous games using that civilization will not be penalized).

Gameplay Rules

1.1 - Players will freely pick their civilization in game 1. After that, players alternatively pick their civilization, starting with the winner of game 1.

1.2 - Every player must respect their opponent, casters and organizers. Misbehavior will result in a warning and can lead into disqualification. Racism and/or insults will not be tolerated.

1.3 - Every game must be recorded.

1.4 - When a player disconnects from the internet BEFORE 2 minutes, the player can (when both agree) restart and replay the game. When the opponent does not agree to restart, the outcome of the game will be determined by the tournament staff.

1.5 - When a player disconnects AFTER 2 minutes, the players can (when both agree) restart and replay the game. When the opponent does not agree to restart, the player who lost connection will be given a loss.

1.6 - Every player may restart a game BEFORE the 2 minute mark when necessary. This is allowed ONCE per map when the game is NOT casted by an official caster. Restarts for CASTED games will be determined by the caster him/herself.

1.7 - The caster is allowed to restart a game as many times as necessary for optimal play.

1.8 - All games must be submitted to the "Tournament Record Games" forum using the results submitter.

1.9 - Recorded games must be submitted at most one day after the deadline

1.10 - Players must be respectable to each other when selecting civilizations in a game. Players cannot intentionally change to unfair match-ups, or otherwise be difficult to agree to a match-up. The tournament staff reserves the right to two possible outcomes. 1. If only one player is deemed challenging, then that player will be forced to pick their civilization first. 2. If both players are disagreeable then blind pick will be enforced. This decision is made by the staff.

1.11 - Players are expected to and must play at their best during the course of any match.

Casting Rules

2.1 - It is every players responsibility to work with tournament staff for the casting of games.

2.2 - Players and caster(s) may request during a match that measures be taken to reduce lag. At the discretion of the tournament admins or casters if no admins are available, a streamed match may have its casters switched out, have its number of casters reduced, or be casted from replays.

2.3 - Only casters that have been authorized by the tournament staff will be permitted to stream matches.

2.4 - The players in casted matches will be required to schedule their matches with their opponents and with the authorized caster(s).

2.5 - All streamed games must have a time delay of 2 minutes.

2.6 - The tournament staff reserves the right to extend the deadline of the match if deemed appropriate.

2.7 - All tournament streamed matches must be recorded.

2.8 - No additional observers may be present in games.

Disqualification Rules

3.1 - All external exploits and game modification software are forbidden. The tournament administration reserves the right to disqualify a player for use of any exploits to gain an unfair advantage.

3.2 - Exploits include but are not limited to: Map Hacks, Trainers, Explorer Revival Glitch, OOS / Intentional Lag (Stacked downloads or other game crashing exploits), and mods (building rotator, zoom modification).

3.3 - Use of these exploits is grounds for removal from the event.

3.4 - If you suspect your opponent has violated any of the player integrity rules, finish the game and submit it for review with an explanation of why you think the game was unfair. If the tournament staff members find someone to be guilty of cheating, the cheater will be disqualified from the tournament.

3.5 - The tournament staff has the right to disqualify a player in cases where there is severe lag to the point where the playing and/or viewing experience is unusually burdened.

3.6 - The registered account name must be the main account of its owner for proper seeding.

3.7 - When a player is disqualified, he/she has no right to claim any prize money.

3.8 - A disqualification may only be committed if all tournament staff agrees.

Scheduling Rules

4.1 - Players must respond with the times they are available to play in their dedicated scheduling thread. Players will then play out their games on the given maps.

4.2 - Posts in scheduling topics will be considered along with interaction with admins when making decisions regarding scheduling. Other communications will not be considered.

4.3 - Players must play the series in the map order given, after vetoes have been issued.

4.4 - Players cannot deny casters without consulting with the tournament admins first.

Seeding Rules

5.1 - Any player who has finished in the top 16 of the last event and signs up again will be automatically seeded in the top 16 seeds based on their performance and players who sign up.

5.2 - 12 seeds are distributed using 1v1 ELO. Higher the ELO the better the seed.

Prize Pool

WoL team members will be contributing to the prize pool, and 100% of donations made at http://aoe3wol.com/donate will also be added to the prize pool. The team hopes to meet a total prize pool of $500 with a distribution as follows:

1st: 200$
2nd: 150$
3rd: 100$
4th: 50$

The team also has 3 copies of Age of Empires III: The Complete Collection steam keys that will be raffled off to players that sign up!

Map Pool, Map Rules, and Map Vetoes

The tournament map pool consists of 15 maps. The map pool for each round will be determined based on number of signups. Each round will begin on a WoL map and alternate between ESOC and WoL Maps after that.

WoL Maps: Acre, Asunción, Cave, Congo, Dallol, Sahel, Tuscany, Watering Hole
ESOC Maps: Cascade Range, Fertile Crescent, Florida, Indonesia, Kamchatka, Klondike, Thar Desert

Round of 64: Acre, Florida, Sahel, Cascade Range, Dallol
Round of 32: Tuscany, Indonesia, Cave, Klondike, Watering Hole
Round of 16: Acre, Fertile Crescent, Congo, Kamchatka, Asunción, Thar Desert, Sahel
Quarter finals: Dallol, Cascade Range, Watering Hole, Florida, Tuscany, Klondike, Cave, Indonesia, Asunción
Semi-finals: Sahel, Thar Desert, Congo, Kamchatka, Asunción, Fertile Crescent, Watering Hole, Florida, Tuscany
Finals: Cave, Klondike, Acre, Indonesia, Dallol, Florida, Tuscany, Cascade Range, Watering Hole, Fertile Crescent, Congo

These maps were created by our two map teams. The tournament map pool consists of 6 maps made by Garja, 5 maps made by Tahattus, 3 maps made by Will, and 1 map made by Rikikipu.

Veto Rule

6.1 - The veto system is active from the bracket stages only. (RO128)

6.2 - Both players have one veto per BO3 & BO5 and two vetoes per BO7.

6.3 - The player with the highest 1v1 TAD Supremacy Elo rating at the time of seeding will pick their veto first.

6.4 - The veto must be issued in the scheduling thread by Thursday 00:00GMT.

6.5 - Failure to issue the veto in time will remove the last map from the list.

6.6 - If both players fail to issue their veto in time, the last two maps will automatically be removed.

6.7 - After vetoes have been issued, maps will move down one spot.

Example
The map pool for a BO3 is:
1) WoL Acre
2) ESOC Cascade Range
3) WoL Tuscany
4) ESOC Kamchatka
5) WoL Watering Hole

Player 1 has an ELO of 2100
Player 2 has an ELO of 2200

Player 2 issues his veto first.

Player 2 bans WoL Watering Hole
Player 1 bans ESOC Cascade Range

The new map pool for a BO3 is:
1) WoL Acre
2) ESOC Cascade Range
3) WoL Tuscany
4) ESOC Kamchatka
5) WoL Watering Hole

Therefore:
1) WoL Acre
2) WoL Tuscany
3) ESOC Kamchatka
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Re: Tournament Rules & Discussion

Post by musketeer925 »

6.3 - The player with the highest 1v1 ELO at the time of seeding will pick their veto first.

I'm sure this rule has been copy-pasta'd from prior events, but to be explicit: does this rule refer to JPCommunity's 1v1 TAD Supremacy Elo rating? There are a lot of things you could call someone's "1v1 Elo".
Skirmisher

Post by DayoftheNinja »

It has, and I would say yes. We don't have perfect counts for everyone's WoL Elos and JPCommunity's numbers seem to be good enough for our uses - good AoE3 players tend to be good WoL players as well! I'll add that to the post.
Wales CelticCrusader
Dragoon
ESO: CelticCrusader

Post by CelticCrusader »

One question , who decided Congo and Cave were suitable maps ? They are not fit for competitive matches in my opinion. Congo is just stupid with the fog of war reset, and cave is just not great either, you can't even see the hunts because they are the same colour as the terrain.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

I actually kinda like Cave, it's a very cool unusual map. Don't think I've seen Congo yet.
Will OBS UI versions of the WoL maps be released for casting purposes?
momuuu wrote: theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
Wales CelticCrusader
Dragoon

Post by CelticCrusader »

EAGLEMUT wrote:I actually kinda like Cave, it's a very cool unusual map. Don't think I've seen Congo yet.
Will OBS UI versions of the WoL maps be released for casting purposes?

Well on Congo the fog of war resets immediately after scouting the area. You basically need to build everywhere to have any sort of LOS. Its just not a map that is suited to a competitive game.
France bwinner
Howdah
Donator 01
ESO: bwinner

Post by bwinner »

I think this is not a problem if the map is totally different from what we have on TAD since that's a kind of new game.
Wales CelticCrusader
Dragoon

Post by CelticCrusader »

I would replace Congo with a map like Iceland, with its huge central volcano, that would showcase the wol maps better than a Congo map where you cant see anything.
Wales CelticCrusader
Dragoon

Post by CelticCrusader »

bwinner1 wrote:I think this is not a problem if the map is totally different from what we have on TAD since that's a kind of new game.

Have you played on the Congo map yet ? Its awful and not fun to play on from my experience.
Wales CelticCrusader
Dragoon

Post by CelticCrusader »

Also recording games on wol hasnt been successful for me before. Most OOS for some reason. I think I have only recorded one full game of wol on eso the rest had 00S. Its something to consider as it may cause problems.
Skirmisher

Post by DayoftheNinja »

I personally really like Congo, it's got unique gameplay in a way that doesn't favor one civ or culture over another. That said, the casting issue could be a serious one, so I'll have to take another look at that.
Wales CelticCrusader
Dragoon

Post by CelticCrusader »

Yeah I thought casting would be an issue with that map, because even when i used cheats to remove the fog of war to have a better look, the fog of war reappears immediately.
Australia HappyMooMoo
Skirmisher
ESO: HappyMooMoo

Post by HappyMooMoo »

Hey guys just a question, i have vanilla aoe3 and the War Chiefs and Asian dynasties expansions and WOL but i still don't have any of the ESOC maps.
Do i need to install the ESOC mod as well to be able to play the ESOC maps or no???
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05

Post by EAGLEMUT »

HappyMooMoo wrote:Hey guys just a question, i have vanilla aoe3 and the War Chiefs and Asian dynasties expansions and WOL but i still don't have any of the ESOC maps.
Do i need to install the ESOC mod as well to be able to play the ESOC maps or no???

Hey, you can download the ESOC maps separately from here: http://eso-community.net/maps.php
Australia HappyMooMoo
Skirmisher

Post by HappyMooMoo »

Hey thanks for the link, but my anti virus software is automatically removing it because it says its a security risk.
Is it really?
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05

Post by EAGLEMUT »

It's not, it just installs the map files.
Australia HappyMooMoo
Skirmisher

Post by HappyMooMoo »

IT probably isn't but my anti virus keeps flagging it as heuristic virus or something. Help on modifying my antivirus settings to notice it as safe would be appreciated.
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

what AV you use?
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Australia HappyMooMoo
Skirmisher

Post by HappyMooMoo »

Norton Anti Virus
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

well go in history and select option of"resolved security risks"
There you will see the file is which deleted or quarantined
Click on it and you should have option to restore.
While restoring it will ask if to exclude that file from future scans, select yes
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Australia HappyMooMoo
Skirmisher

Post by HappyMooMoo »

Okay i restored it from quarantine or deletion, and i ran the installation just fine but when i go in game the i don't see any of the esoc maps available for me to choose as a host ...
Australia HappyMooMoo
Skirmisher

Post by HappyMooMoo »

Never mind, i realised that you had to choose the ESOC Maps from the Custom menu selection drop down, its all good now.
Australia HappyMooMoo
Skirmisher

Post by HappyMooMoo »

Actually ... For some reason idk why, i can't enable Custom maps in any WOL Lobby that i host ...
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05

Post by EAGLEMUT »

HappyMooMoo wrote:Actually ... For some reason idk why, i can't enable Custom maps in any WOL Lobby that i host ...

Ah, yes, WoL uses its own folder for custom maps, so you will need to copy the contents of
Documents\My Games\Age of Empires 3\RM3
into
Documents\My Games\Wars of Liberty\RM3
Australia HappyMooMoo
Skirmisher

Post by HappyMooMoo »

Nope that's not working, keep in mind i have a steam version of aoe3 (if that's relevant at all). Like i tried several times and in different way to copy the RM3 from aoe3 to WOL RM3, by replacing the WOL one, skipping common files and simply adding a duplicate RM3 into the WOL files.

I'm honestly not even sure whether these ESOC maps are worth all this hassle ...