Mono-Civ Cup and Introducing the ESOC Grand Tour!

Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Re: Mono-Civ Cup and Introducing the ESOC Grand Tour!

Post by momuuu »

Kaiserklein wrote:I also can't play then. That's why imo 1 day tourneys suck, half the players can't participate.

Why does content being provided suck? Compared to there not being a tournament I don't see how this can 'suck'.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Compared to regular tourneys obviously... Thought it's pretty obvious.
In the autumn tourney streams, there was a donation bar mentioning "spring 2018". I'm just disappointed we have these instead.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

As much as I appreciate the good content, this is the sort of thing I would have done in addition to – not in replacement of – the seasonal tournaments.

Looking forward to the event!
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

Yes, because all players always compete in seasonal tournaments. Literally all of them. :smile:
Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Post by princeofcarthage »

zoom wrote:As much as I appreciate the good content, this is the sort of thing I would have done in addition to – not in replacement of – the seasonal tournaments.

These are not replacement to the seasonal tournaments though
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

A lot of us are misunderstood then, as this has been the longest gap between seasonal tournaments to date and there has been no seasonal tournament announcement yet, but the weekend tournaments have been announced and have just evolved to be a more elaborate and longevened "season" so it wouldn't be unreasonable now to come to that conclusion, that these are taking its place, especially considering ESOC's available resources.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

can't sign up.

is that cause I couldn't play last sunday?
Retired Contributor

somppukunkku wrote:can't sign up.

is that cause I couldn't play last sunday?

New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

princeofcarthage wrote:
zoom wrote:As much as I appreciate the good content, this is the sort of thing I would have done in addition to – not in replacement of – the seasonal tournaments.

If that's the case, all the better.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Bram left, H2O and Mitoe still seem relatively inactive, I haven't seen or heard of n0el in ages, Jim supposedly is doing an internship right now, I haven't really seen Interjection around much or curassierandcurassier. So the media team is a busy Jim and Chrisie who, in my experience, has never been extremely active with coordinating things. The last tournament was the greatest failure since the summer tournament of 2015 imo. Streams are getting some of the lowest viewer counts I can remember, the extensions of tournament rounds are so frequent, the newsposts are scarce, the top notch high level native speaking casters are absent.. All things considered I can get behind taking a difference approach to tournaments and ignoring the super big dragging tournaments a little bit.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

It is said historians will debate and quarrel over the many mechanisms which caused ESOC to fall, much as is done now about Rome.

I personally have my coins tossed in off topic.
Retired Contributor

France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

princeofcarthage wrote:

Where is the spring tourney then?
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

tfw no great supreme leader = no (seasonal) tournament

Nice initiative. I hope people get risky and we don't see brit or french mirrors all tournament long.
Retired Contributor

Kaiserklein wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:

Where is the spring tourney then?

ESO lately has been very turbulent given what's happening with the invite spammer. We are still unsure if games can be streamed without any interference, although it's much better for past week or so. Reliability of alternate platforms and weather EP works, anti-cheat and other stuff also needs to be considered and evaluated. Have a little Patience and you can expect the announcement for the next seasonal soon. Also there are lot of reasons and ideas as to why we are doing small weekend tournaments right now.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Well he was back yesterday, kicked GUA then me
Retired Contributor

Everyone who signed up, please pm me on discord or on forums your civilization before Friday. Thank you
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

deleted_user wrote:It is said historians will debate and quarrel over the many mechanisms which caused ESOC to fall, much as is done now about Rome.

All jokes aside, I definitely think ESOC's media department is terribly understaffed. Add to that that the caster pool is probably at its lowest, which means you'd need more staff. Can ESOC really host an extremely smooth tournament right now? I have my doubts. Its a job for 3-5 commited people, at least. If you dont have that amount of people available, then maybe its better to host smaller events every once in a while.

Also, to be honest, smaller tournaments could be more fun for the player:
- It doesnt take weekly commitment. If you consider that any sort of run in the big tournaments can take months it's imaginable that to many this is much of a burden - playing during an exam week, when you're absolutely not in the mood, trying to schedule while you have to work or go to university or when you want to hang out with friends, stuff like this makes a tournament inconvenient to some I think. If there is some weekend or <month tournament in a month where you know you have time then that could be preferable.
- with somewhat random brackets and the bo1 part, upsets and insane runs are more possible. Maybe the guys that always make a deep run dont like this, but as some mid tier player you actually have a reasonable shot to make a deep run. Ive always sorta liked that aspect.

In theory, this format opens up invitational tournaments. In terms of production value, thats the optimal imo. If you have some metric by which you can invite 8-16 if the best players without dispute, then that could be really nice. I think I prefer that over the long dragging and boring group stage + stomps + extensions that a big open tournament takes. I mean, the seasonals take almost 3 months and I feel like half of that is just nonsense matches where one clearly better player wins.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

momuuu wrote:
deleted_user wrote:It is said historians will debate and quarrel over the many mechanisms which caused ESOC to fall, much as is done now about Rome.

All jokes aside, I definitely think ESOC's media department is terribly understaffed. Add to that that the caster pool is probably at its lowest, which means you'd need more staff. Can ESOC really host an extremely smooth tournament right now? I have my doubts. Its a job for 3-5 commited people, at least. If you dont have that amount of people available, then maybe its better to host smaller events every once in a while.

Also, to be honest, smaller tournaments could be more fun for the player:
- It doesnt take weekly commitment. If you consider that any sort of run in the big tournaments can take months it's imaginable that to many this is much of a burden - playing during an exam week, when you're absolutely not in the mood, trying to schedule while you have to work or go to university or when you want to hang out with friends, stuff like this makes a tournament inconvenient to some I think. If there is some weekend or <month tournament in a month where you know you have time then that could be preferable.
- with somewhat random brackets and the bo1 part, upsets and insane runs are more possible. Maybe the guys that always make a deep run dont like this, but as some mid tier player you actually have a reasonable shot to make a deep run. Ive always sorta liked that aspect.

In theory, this format opens up invitational tournaments. In terms of production value, thats the optimal imo. If you have some metric by which you can invite 8-16 if the best players without dispute, then that could be really nice. I think I prefer that over the long dragging and boring group stage + stomps + extensions that a big open tournament takes. I mean, the seasonals take almost 3 months and I feel like half of that is just nonsense matches where one clearly better player wins.
Yeah I agree too on nearly everything. It's already surprising enough people have contributed enough time and money for ESOC to be still be here 3 years later.

Approach to content can't always be consistent when the manpower just isn't there.

Things like weekend tournaments and invitationals seem to be a fix without sacrificing quality, for the most part.
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

If I were actually playing the game I would probably whine that I can't play in the weekend tournaments because I work Saturdays. :(

However I'm not so doing so would be hypocritical. I also believe that experimenting with smaller one day events is a good thing.

I can cast on Sunday though. So, I would like to.
Croatia gryphoon94
Skirmisher
ESO: GRYPHOON

Post by gryphoon94 »

Side question, is Eso-c mainly making money off donations? i feel there are so many other potential revenue streams (twitch subs, selling tshirts/other merch, in website features) that I do not see happening right now
"I only used Moesbar for 2 years, that's not even long" - SirMusket
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Weekend tours aren't without their problems, that's for sure.

Well, it's so inconvienent to have anything happen on weekdays for everyone but players with scheduling conflict anyways. This simplifies things so much. It sucks if a good player can't play but no system is perfect and life isn't fair.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

gryphoon94 wrote:Side question, is Eso-c mainly making money off donations? i feel there are so many other potential revenue streams (twitch subs, selling tshirts/other merch, in website features) that I do not see happening right now

Donations and YT, afaik. Twitch subs are sub optimal, from an efficiency standpoint, but might motivate users who would otherwise not donate to contribute. Or it could backfire and provide the less-ideal mindset of, "I pay $5/mo to ESOC I don't need to ever donate." Meanwhile ESOC only sees half of that stipend and only sees it after a certain gross sum has been reached. As for merch? I don't know if this is an enthusiastic enough audience :p although I'd certainly be down to ironically/nonironically wear a niche t-shirt for a decade-old RTS game/community if it was aesthetically designed.

I really regret not getting my original, out-of-commission, Mac AoE discs signed in Chicago although those were meant for the telethon. Point being, memorabilia would be a hotter item to sell or auction off than merch. But the donation system has worked sustainably enough so far thanks to a few particularly generous persons. Recent events in light, that may have changed...

It would be nice if Microsoft could hook us up with a fat drip of Aoe artifacts. Doubt it though, considering they won't approve my post about the invite spammer on the official forums.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

I think ideally a tournament would last 4-5 weeks at most. Anything longer than that and it's just a negative experience for players which results in bad scheduling, players not practising much or even forfeits quite far into a tournament. If you then take 1 round per week as the norm (anything more seems unreasonable) then you'd get 16-32 players (ro32-16-8-4-2 is five rounds so five weeks) tournaments which I guess is what an invitational would be.

Are these weekend tournaments the proper 'qualifiers' for this though?
Denmark crjensen4
Dragoon
Donator 07
ESO: crjensen4

Post by crjensen4 »

What a fun concept of a single civ :)
Looking forward to some good streams!