LAN/online losing connection midgame.

No Flag Gryphken
Crossbow

LAN/online losing connection midgame.

Post by Gryphken »

Hello,

Got this annoying problem that I always disconnect midgame. :sad:

Used to play AOE III (also II and Mythology) for years, bought them all again on Steam sales.
I've bought AOE III x2 times to play with my gf true LAN (so we have 2 keys), but we can never finish a game, which kinda sucks after gaming for 1-2h.

I got a stable low latency wired connection (20ms latency), I almoste never disconnect with other online games.
My gf plays with wi-fi and she has no problems whatsoever, it's always on my side the connection gets lost.
While I have a high end gaming system and she has a low end laptop, so far I've tried to turn all the graphics down to low, changing cable, changed ports (router and PC), turning off all other applications and browsers and we both tried hosting the game.

What more can I do? :huh:
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Re: LAN/online losing connection midgame.

Post by gibson »

What’s the exact error you’re getting?
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: wardyb1

Post by wardyb1 »

Are you lagging out mid game? Getting out of synced? What is displaying on your screen and her screen when this happens?
“To love the journey is to accept no such end. I have found, through painful experience, that the most important step a person can take is always the next one.”
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor
ESO: Octanium

Post by Ashvin »

Yeah some screenshots would help :flowers:
No Flag Gryphken
Crossbow

Post by Gryphken »

Hmm, yeah I was stupid enough not taking a screenshot I'm afraid. :hmm: Always tried to reconnect asap, but ofc that doesn't work.

Every game starts with a bit of lag the first 2 seconds, I guess just for rendering the map.
But true out the rest of the game there is no lag to be spotted not during battles, not with graphics on high and shadows and reflections turned on, not even before the disconnection happens.
I just get thrown out of the game to the main menu with a window that says something like "You lost connection to the server", maybe it says "lost connection to ESO", but it''s no out of sync error.

At the same time my gf stays ingame and she gets the message of a "unresponsive player" and than a timer starts to count down from 60" secs.

I'll trie to get a screenshot of it, haven't played since I've posted this and at first I wasn't even planning on posting here so yeah that's why I have no screenshot.
I also haven't tried a regular online game on a server so not sure if I get the same error there, I'll try it tommorrow or so.

Thanks for the fast responses tho. ^_^
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Do you play on LAN or ESO? If ESO do you play from same net? It might be the case that there is an IP conflict and ESO kicks you off. It seems you are really losing the net at some point.
Image Image Image
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor

Post by Ashvin »

Garja wrote:Do you play on LAN or ESO? If ESO do you play from same net? It might be the case that there is an IP conflict and ESOC kicks you off. It seems you are really losing the net at some point.

ESO* kicks you off
No Flag Gryphken
Crossbow

Post by Gryphken »

We always make a LAN connection to play our private games.

Yeah I've read somewhere that playing on the same internet connection could cause problems, but I thought that would only be for ESO and not LAN for some reason... isn't LAN always true the same network? :hmm:

But if that would be the problem is there a way to fix this? Not sure if that means we play with the same IP, i'm gonna check that out. Maybe I have to split the LAN or something?
I saw a solution on the this website I believe, but can't find it anymore. But I'm not that tech-savvy, atleast not when it comes to internet connections.

Nerver had this problem with the CD version and back then I had the same game installed on 2 PC's instead of two separate games with two separate CD-keys.
And we also used to play true the same LAN connection as were're trying to do right now... so my first thought was it had something to do with Steam. :unsure:
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Well if it is LAN I dont know. Check the cable that connects the 2 PCs or if wireless be sure you are not losing net at any point.
Image Image Image
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

Gryphken wrote:I just get thrown out of the game to the main menu with a window that says something like "You lost connection to the server", maybe it says "lost connection to ESO", but it''s no out of sync error.
Gryphken wrote:We always make a LAN connection to play our private games.
You play over LAN and lose connection to ESO? :hmm: Something doesn't add up here.
In any case, you can try to set up a different, static IP for both of the PCs: https://portforward.com/networking/static-ip-windows-10.htm

Gryphken wrote:so my first thought was it had something to do with Steam. :unsure:
The "Steam version" is just a digital version of what you get on CD; it's the exact same thing and can be cross-played between each other.
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by wardyb1 »

When you play against each other, are you going onto ES Online, making a lobby and then playing or playing LAN. As stated above, you can't lose connection in a LAN match like you described unless a plug is pulled or the computer dies essentially. Just want to clarify how you play.
“To love the journey is to accept no such end. I have found, through painful experience, that the most important step a person can take is always the next one.”
No Flag Gryphken
Crossbow

Post by Gryphken »

EAGLEMUT wrote:
Gryphken wrote:I just get thrown out of the game to the main menu with a window that says something like "You lost connection to the server", maybe it says "lost connection to ESO", but it''s no out of sync error.
You play over LAN and lose connection to ESO? :hmm: Something doesn't add up here.
In any case, you can try to set up a different, static IP for both of the PCs: https://portforward.com/networking/static-ip-windows-10.htm

Gryphken wrote:so my first thought was it had something to do with Steam. :unsure:
The "Steam version" is just a digital version of what you get on CD; it's the exact same thing and can be cross-played between each other.

That's why I said MAYBE. :biggrin: But I'm pretty sure it just says "you lost connection". In the past when I still played this game online, I sometimes had the lost connection to ESO message. But wasn't sure what the message was in this case. And before that post I wasn't even sure what ESO stood for. :blush:

wardyb1 wrote:When you play against each other, are you going onto ES Online, making a lobby and then playing or playing LAN. As stated above, you can't lose connection in a LAN match like you described unless a plug is pulled or the computer dies essentially. Just want to clarify how you play.

So yeah, we only play over LAN. So I guess there couldn't be a conflict. And like I said earlyer, I'm playing over cable and I have a stable connection in most online games.
That's why I find it odd that I'm always the one losing connection and my gf who plays over wi-fi doesn't.

And about the Steam version, I know the Steam version of a game is just a digital copy of the original. But I've read reviews of other games where people stated that the Steam version is less stable online than the original game they had... don't know if this is possible though.
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor

Post by Ashvin »

Gryphken wrote:...that the Steam version is less stable online than the original game they had... don't know if this is possible though.

I don't think it's possible.
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by wardyb1 »

Gryphken wrote:
EAGLEMUT wrote:

That's why I said MAYBE. :biggrin: But I'm pretty sure it just says "you lost connection". In the past when I still played this game online, I sometimes had the lost connection to ESO message. But wasn't sure what the message was in this case. And before that post I wasn't even sure what ESO stood for. :blush:

wardyb1 wrote:When you play against each other, are you going onto ES Online, making a lobby and then playing or playing LAN. As stated above, you can't lose connection in a LAN match like you described unless a plug is pulled or the computer dies essentially. Just want to clarify how you play.

So yeah, we only play over LAN. So I guess there couldn't be a conflict. And like I said earlyer, I'm playing over cable and I have a stable connection in most online games.
That's why I find it odd that I'm always the one losing connection and my gf who plays over wi-fi doesn't.

And about the Steam version, I know the Steam version of a game is just a digital copy of the original. But I've read reviews of other games where people stated that the Steam version is less stable online than the original game they had... don't know if this is possible though.

Honestly, it sounds like your cable is getting bumped or kicked around or something. Are you able to try and play over wifi as well? Could you both go on ES Online and try and play each other on there?