how to play on a mac

No Flag hellotissue
Crossbow

how to play on a mac

Post by hellotissue »

Could anyone tell me how to play AoE3 on a mac? I was playing on a Windows PC before. Do I need to install a windows system using bootcamp or use other softwares? thx a lot~
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

how to play on a mac

Post by Mitoe »

I also use a Mac to play AoE3, and you have a few options:

1) Bootcamp - If you can get a hold of a Windows install disk, you can install the OS via bootcamp and then reboot your computer onto your new Windows partition and play there.

2) Crossover - Codeweavers (https://www.codeweavers.com) have developed a program called Crossover which uses Wine to emulate the Windows OS and thereby let you install Windows applications directly to your Mac. I've heard it works very well for AoE3 and there's a free trial if you want to make sure you can get it working before you buy :)

3) WineSkin - This is my preferred option, but probably only because I didn't have to pay for it. It works similarly to Crossover in the sense that it uses Wine to install Windows applications on your Mac, but while WineSkin is free, it is also a lot more work than either of the two previous solutions, and you often have to do a lot of minor tweaking to get things working just right. I'm going to be writing a guide on how to set up WineSkin with AoE3 in the near future (maybe sometime in July), but if you want to try using this option and need some help setting it up let me know :)
No Flag hellotissue
Crossbow

how to play on a mac

Post by hellotissue »

mitoe wrote:I also use a Mac to play AoE3, and you have a few options:

1) Bootcamp - If you can get a hold of a Windows install disk, you can install the OS via bootcamp and then reboot your computer onto your new Windows partition and play there.

2) Crossover - Codeweavers (https://www.codeweavers.com) have developed a program called Crossover which uses Wine to emulate the Windows OS and thereby let you install Windows applications directly to your Mac. Ive heard it works very well for AoE3 and theres a free trial if you want to make sure you can get it working before you buy :)

3) WineSkin - This is my preferred option, but probably only because I didnt have to pay for it. It works similarly to Crossover in the sense that it uses Wine to install Windows applications on your Mac, but while WineSkin is free, it is also a lot more work than either of the two previous solutions, and you often have to do a lot of minor tweaking to get things working just right. Im going to be writing a guide on how to set up WineSkin with AoE3 in the near future (maybe sometime in July), but if you want to try using this option and need some help setting it up let me know :)
great thanks :thumbsup: I have heard about wineskin but never used it before. I will try it!