Install AoE3 on a mac

No Flag hellotissue
Crossbow

Install AoE3 on a mac

Post by hellotissue »

Recently the idea of playing AoE3 on a mac comes to me and I decide to give it a try. I have successfully install AoE3 using CrossOver and being working on installing using WineSkin. Though numbers of players playing AoE3 on a mac is relatively small, I still hope this small guide could help and save your time :)
Special thanks to @mitoe and @durokan. Any comment or help is greatly appreciated :D
Attachments
InstallAoE3onmacusingCrossOver.pdf
(1.85 MiB) Downloaded 8634 times
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Install AoE3 on a mac

Post by Mitoe »

Great guide, thanks for writing this. :) I've stickied this thread, and will also be adding a future WineSkin guide for other Mac users.
No Flag Janer
Crossbow

Install AoE3 on a mac

Post by Janer »

That's awesome! You should also consider posting this on the AOE3 subreddit, every now and then somebody posts asking how to play the game on a mac.

@Mitoe stop being a lazy fart and get on that!
No Flag shirine
Crossbow

Install AoE3 on a mac

Post by shirine »

i play on mac hahahah funny! i think i was the only one =o
No Flag eitheror
Crossbow

Install AoE3 on a mac

Post by eitheror »

I had audio issues, so I found this (took me a while to find so thought I'd post it here):
https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibili ... ?msg=63693

Also after I did this, only vannilla worked, now uninstalling on steam and trying again... as I read that works.
No Flag salvinono
Crossbow

Install AoE3 on a mac

Post by salvinono »

Hi, i'm using a cracked version of crossover, but it didn't work.. Can u help me? your guide is well but I haven't AOE3 on the step 3..
United States of America rickytickitembo
Dragoon
ESO: RickyTickiTembo

Re: Install AoE3 on a mac

Post by rickytickitembo »

Mitoe wrote:Great guide, thanks for writing this. :) I've stickied this thread, and will also be adding a future WineSkin guide for other Mac users.

@ Mitoe Did you ever make this link?

If someone is using WineSkin for Mac I could use some help. I have everything installed as far as I know but ran into some trouble.
http://i.imgur.com/DrUHRLl.png

On page 7 of the pdf number 2 Install AoE3 I get that error message.

http://i.imgur.com/Lxj3l0l.png

It doesn't say anything but just has the red X and my only option is to quit. I can't seem to follow his directions to fix this. Anyone know how to get this to work?
My favorite donut is chocolate Aiz.
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

rickytickitembo wrote:
Mitoe wrote:Great guide, thanks for writing this. :) I've stickied this thread, and will also be adding a future WineSkin guide for other Mac users.

@ Mitoe Did you ever make this link?

If someone is using WineSkin for Mac I could use some help. I have everything installed as far as I know but ran into some trouble.
http://i.imgur.com/DrUHRLl.png

On page 7 of the pdf number 2 Install AoE3 I get that error message.

http://i.imgur.com/Lxj3l0l.png

It doesn't say anything but just has the red X and my only option is to quit. I can't seem to follow his directions to fix this. Anyone know how to get this to work?

PEYTON!

I don't have much experience with using the Steam version of AoE3 through WineSkin, but I can try it out and see what happens. If I can't figure it out, I could potentially send you my wineskin wrapper, which should work fine for you. I'll let you know.
United States of America rickytickitembo
Dragoon
ESO: RickyTickiTembo

Post by rickytickitembo »

Thanks Mitoe. I appreciate it! I plan on reviving PHX and taking over eso ;)
My favorite donut is chocolate Aiz.
United States of America illusioNtEk
Skirmisher
ESO: illusioNtEk

Post by illusioNtEk »

Cant you guys just get bootcamp and run AoE3 with Windows ??
No Flag H4all
Crossbow

Post by H4all »

@ Rickiticki you should install the following files using the 'Winetricks'. Go to your steam wrapper, "show package content" => Wineskin. Go to "advanced" "tools" "Winetricks" search for d3dx9_36, dsound, msxml4, mfc42, l3codecx. Especially the msxml4 is important. Select the files and quick 'run'. Be sure they are installed. To see this, go to the little settings reel (left of custom...) and put on "show downloaded column" and "show installed column". Now you should be able to see if you're dlls are installed properly. This should fix the problem.

A problem I'm facing now is that TAD gets stuck in the loading screen... (loading screens stay black, but in nilla and TWC i'm able to skip through the blackness)
No Flag adderbrain5
Lancer

Post by adderbrain5 »

thanks a lot, was just going to revive this issue, been posting about it for a year or so with no legit response. trying this now.

update: it all works! amazing! but there is still a serious problem! Unable to join a single game even over multiple networks/routers. any ideas?
No Flag adderbrain5
Lancer

Post by adderbrain5 »

update, I'm still having severe fail to join issues. I'd calculate about 90% of games are fail to join. it seemed to help originally to restart the game, but now not even that does. Looking in the startup folder, the only file was speachrecognition.cfg. literally. No user.cfg, no game.cfg.... so i mean wtf? why wouldn't that be there? i tried to write my own with text wrangler in which I overid all ports 2300-2310 and some others... to no avail. any ideas?

BTW this is a much bigger problem on TAD it seems I can join most vanilla games.
United States of America Eprus
Crossbow
ESO: Eprus

Post by Eprus »

Could one of you upload the wineskin wrapper?
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

@Mitoe
Crossbow

Post by Eprus »

Jerom wrote:@Mitoe

Thanks, I want to get back into this game :pop:
No Flag adderbrain5
Lancer

Post by adderbrain5 »

illusioNtEk wrote:Cant you guys just get bootcamp and run AoE3 with Windows ??

i did that for about six months while working on my medals XD but alas the 90 day enterprise trial license once renewed has reached its limit. And i couldn't justify a quarter of my air HD for windows just for aoe3 anymore besides.u think I'm really going to buy a windows license PULLeASE!!! and i don't really feel like fucking around with cracked versions.
Crossbow

Post by Eprus »

How do you update the esoc patch on that wine wrapper? it's outdated
No Flag S_I_D_aoe3
Crossbow

Post by S_I_D_aoe3 »

Hey guys. So my friend has Aoe3 on his Mac by Mitoe's Wineskin Wrapper but it wont run due to a 'Minimum System Requirement' alert that pops up and shuts aoe3 down. The thing is he had this problem before and was able to override it some how but we forget where the setting is. I was wondering if there was someone who was good with Mac's that knows which settings to go into to change the system req. Again, this worked before and we used it for like a year+ with no issues what so ever so its not that the Mac can't run it its that the error is in the way.
LP-33
Canada Warno
Dragoon
Donator 08
ESO: Warno

Post by Warno »

Hey there,
Just started playing again after a long lay off.

Used crossover to install in on my mac but I have no in game sounds/music?
Anyone else have this problem?
Thanks!
No Flag adderbrain5
Lancer

Post by adderbrain5 »

Warno wrote:Hey there,
Just started playing again after a long lay off.

Used crossover to install in on my mac but I have no in game sounds/music?
Anyone else have this problem?
Thanks!

same exact story here, not sure why.. if you are able to figure out how to hack crossover's trial which expired for me but i don't want to pay 40 bucks for some BS program let me know. thanks.
New Caledonia kimjunun
Crossbow
ESO: Kimjunun

Post by kimjunun »

I also have no in game sounds on Crossover. Hopefully we can discover a solution.
Canada Lunatic_Fringe
Dragoon
ESO: Nightwing

Post by Lunatic_Fringe »

Thanks. That's a great guide!
No Flag cohenski
Musketeer

Post by cohenski »

how do u play on wineskin!??1?! it make game break freeze go black nothing reason. this is bad never again. mitoe is overrated and canadian
United States of America pandemonium_
Crossbow
ESO: pandemonium_

Post by pandemonium_ »

For people looking for alternatives, I've had good success on a 2008 macbook pro. I use parallels to run windows XP and launch the game via steam from there. Never had audio issues or other technical difficulties in running the game.