Install AoE3 on a mac

Andorra flutelrut
Crossbow
ESO: Flutelrut

Re: Install AoE3 on a mac

Post by flutelrut »

Yesterday I tried to install aoe3 in two ways: Parallels and Crossover. In Parallels way, installed successfully without any problem. But it does not convince me for the lag resulting.

On Crossover mode, I install following the hellotisue guide http://eso-community.net/download/file.php?id=663 (at the top of this thread) with eitheror advice about sound and graphic problems found in Codeweaders forum:
"Install Steam on a new Bottle using the Steam Crosstie. Then install Visual C++ 6.0 Redistributable, Microsoft XML Parser 4.0. Then go into Manage Bottles... and clic on the control panel tab and open Wine Config. Clic on the Libraries tab, and add 2 overrides: dsound (native, built in) and l3codecx.ax (native, built in). All those solve the DirectX reinstall issue, the blank error window issue, the sound issue, the video playback issue and the cd key dll issue." I attached a screenshot (sorry, catalan language).

Then, I need to disable "Performance Enhanced Graphics" for graphic bugs in AOE3 bottle.
It works well for me, but I can't join to games hosted by others. Maybe because not fixed my internal ip on my mac for port forwarding router. I try today to fix it.

The lag on crossover (v15) is lower than Parallels option, close (but not the same) to bootcamp option (best, on my computer).

I have iMac i5 2.66 Ghz with 20Gb Ram, mid2011 model.

Thanks a lot to @hellotissue for guide!
Attachments
adding library overrides on control panel Crossover
adding library overrides on control panel Crossover
No Flag ronsu
Crossbow

Post by ronsu »

Interesting! But I'm guessing that, still, the best option is to run Windows with Bootcamp. Isn't it?
France lylife168
Crossbow

Post by lylife168 »

Hi !

I just install Steam on my mac with Play On Mac.
Then I install AoE 3, but when I want to play It doesn't work ! That say they can't found the DLL ... I'm really bad with all of this, can you help me ??
Thank you :D

Lylife168.
New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
Howdah
ESO: Ex-Contributor

Post by JakeyBoyTH »

Please see viewtopic.php?f=65&t=11286 for an alternative solution.
Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk

Ugh Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk
New Caledonia kimjunun
Crossbow
ESO: Kimjunun

Post by kimjunun »

awesome man thanks
Bhutan jgals
Lancer
ESO: OstiferButthole

Post by jgals »

illusioNtEk wrote:Cant you guys just get bootcamp and run AoE3 with Windows ??

If you want to pay hundreds of dollars
Brazil palmerense1992
Crossbow
ESO: PALMERENSE1992

Post by palmerense1992 »

well, i used this guide to install AOE through Steam on my mac. And it worked perfectly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-Fu1cg ... yw&index=1

Its in spanish, i dont speak spanish, but it's understandable. Just follow the steps and enjoy.
Idk how to use the ESOC Patches on mac though, if anyone could present a guide, that'd be great!

Hope the video will help some of you out
United States of America XeeleeFlower
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Post by XeeleeFlower »

JakeyBoyTH Guide to playing Age Of Empires III on a Mac

JakeyBoyTH wrote:This is much better than anything else really out there for performance. It is higher performance than WineSkin or other alternatives.

Requirements:
- Wine (make sure to install 32-bit, the development is preferred but not necessary) [https://wiki.winehq.org/MacOS]
- XQuartz [https://www.xquartz.org]
- Gatekeeper must not be set to block unsigned packages

Guide:
This is a guide from [https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=29761&iTestingId=82749] with annotations from me.

What works

Everything. Without the CD.
Simply copy C:/Program Files/Microsoft Studios into your ~/.wine/drive_c.
Then open age3y.exe.
[Ignore all of this and install steam, simply by clicking the steam.exe install you can download from the steam website. This all works fine and install Age Of Empires III complete collection from steam]
Please note that sound and video may have problems at first, but in my experience after leaving the game running and opening it a few times, it eventually fixes itself. [This fix still works well]
However this may have simply been the remedies below taking a long time to take effect.
Until then, turn your graphics down, down, down (for me it was shaders to low, though now no longer :)) until you can actually see something.
[Sometimes high shaders cause problems but that seems to be fixed. This can solve graphical issues however]

What does not

• mfc42.dll, quartz.dll, and d3dx9_36.dll are needed in Windows/System32, but in this wine version all i found missing was mfc42. Override it to "Native" in wine config.
• [This is not necessary for the steam install, as long as you have the Windows XP compatibility mode on you should be ok]
• Your product key may not fit in the initial dialog due to a font bug. To make it work, simply install the missing font with:
winetricks corefonts
[It should work fine]
• Although the sound works at first, if you ignore the "missing l3codecx.ax" prompt, it may stop. In this case:
[Even when this error came up I was able to ignore it and the sound worked fine, however this fix will still work]
There are a few ways you are able to get this file. Choose one of the following:
1 Copy the file from an existing Windows install (C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32)
2 Copy it from a Windows XP install cd by issuing the following command "wine d:/i386/expand.exe d:/i386/l3codecx.ax_ h:/.wine/l3codecx.ax" assuming wine has d:/ mapped to a cd drive with a Windows XP install cd and h:/ is mapped to your home directory.
3 Install a codec pack with the file:
4 -Download this file.
5 -Run BCM1043.exe with wine, it will ask for installing Gecko HTML engine too, install it. After installing, it will create a folder called ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/BCM/. Copy the file l3codecx.ax under 'Codecs/DIRECTS/Fraunhofer/' to ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/.
Method 3 worked fine for me. All you have left to do is run:
wine regsvr32 l3codecx.ax
[Overall, the steam install is really plug and play with Steam. Sometimes it freezes or the screen gets resized, simply tab in and out and it should work. The more successful runs the program has the better it will run]

Note:
WINE has come a long way and the install should work great. I followed this guide on a clean OS, High Sierra with no issues. Remember 32-bit WINE and the development build (3.7) is best for compatibility and performance as there was some Direct3D compatibility
in the 3.3 update which worked well and improved a lot.

Can I play EP with this?
No, EP for the mainstream Mac community is dependent on WINE supporting NET 4.1, which it won’t for the foreseeable future. There are no workarounds.

I have issues - who do I tell?
If you ask a staff member who is nice enough to forward it on to JakeyBoyTH in the ESOC discord, or mention him yourself in the ESOC discord server. I will add your issue and the fix to this document.
Time is wise and our wounds seem to heal to the rhythm of aging,
But our past is a ghost fading out that at night it’s still haunting.

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
France Rikikipu
Retired Contributor
ESO: p-of

Post by Rikikipu »

I didin't pay attention when I made it, but by reading Jakey post, it seems that mac and linux installation works exactly the same way.
viewtopic.php?f=65&t=13131&p=277110&hilit=Linux#p277110

As stated in esoc-patch.php EP works on Mac
Latvia Albis
Crossbow

Post by Albis »

Hey!
Can't launch AoE3 on steam through crossover.
This is what pops up every time I click "Play"
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-10-13 at 21.36.19.png
Great Britain boyu
Musketeer
ESO: boyu

Post by boyu »

My recommendation for playing AoE3 on a Mac is to use Bootcamp to set up a Windows partition – so long as you make the partition large enough, the game runs 100% without lag. I experienced problems trying to install EP on Mac through wineskin due to compatibility issues with Visual C++ 2013 and .NET framework 4.0, so I think the simplest way is to just create a Windows partition.
Australia figjamtwice
Crossbow

Post by figjamtwice »

Hi all,

I bought Age of Empires III for Mac back in 2008 and went deep down the wormhole - loved it. I now have the latest MacBook Pro without the CD drive and wanted to get back into the game.

After in-depth research on this forum and others I have tried the following:

- Installed Steam
- Bought the $39.99 Age of Empires III Complete Collection for PC from Steam
- Installed Wine
- Installed Crossover
- Installed the Porting Kit

And it seems I have got close but have hit a dead-end when I received this error message:

Anyone have any tips?
Attachments
Error message
Error message
Italy Mosx
Dragoon
ESO: Mosx

Post by Mosx »

if can help u in any way i come from macbook too and i run the game with this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1hRY3OUGkY follow the video is good and work! :D
op mechanics, op build order :export: :coin: :ugly: :uglylol: :maniac:

https://www.twitch.tv/mosxgr
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

jgals wrote:

Why pay hundred dollars when Microsoft lets you download the thing for free? Your programs will still run on it, you just won't be able to change wallpaper etc...

Many colleges and universities also offer free licenses, you can ask your friends around. I got 2 keys and installed them on 4 different pcs.

I still think bootcamp is the easiest way to get AoE3 running and when it is done you will also be able to enjoy all other Windows goodies. Installation is quite easy if you have a macbook that is less than 10 years old (for installing from USB), but can also be done on older macbooks even if your disc drive is broken. This is all assuming that you have at least 40 gigs of space to spare.
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Bhutan jgals
Lancer
ESO: OstiferButthole

Post by jgals »

jgals wrote:

na I've never paid for it. I've had windows on my mac for years. You just get a trial windows, renew the trial license twice, and then reinstall under a new trial. worst comes to worst u can still use windows it just autijmaically shuts off after 1 hour when trial expires. So you could easily play a game or two of SUP without getting turned off
Hungary Spendy
Crossbow

Post by Spendy »

@Mitoe

I have recently started playing AOE3 again on my Mac (Before I was playing on windows). And since my brother does not want to play with me anymore I want to go online. I have tried to install the game with Wine bottler and wineskin, even tried installing windows steam and run the game from there but it just not working. When I get to start the game I have sound but no picture. After the intro plays I can't see or hear anything. I am wondering if there is any guide nowadays how to run the game on Mac (I also have tried bootcamp, but I messed up my Hard drive so thats not an option). (I have Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6 atm)
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

maybe you can install bootcamp on external drive like a usb3 hard drive? not sure if this is possible.

how did you mess up your hard drive? maybe it is possible to fix it? i still maintain that bootcamp would be the simplest and most elegant solution which would avoid any compatibility problems
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Italy bananapple
Crossbow
ESO: bananapple

Post by bananapple »

Hey, great guide! I have been using crossover to play AOE3 few about a month now and it always worked great until today...
The game starts with a black screen and I can hear the startup game trailer but cannot skip it (normally you can). When I tab out to see what the issues is I see an error message "Age of Empires 3 has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience". Regardless of me clicking on accept or not on that message the game quits at that point. Any idea how I can fix this? :wood:
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

bananapple wrote:Hey, great guide! I have been using crossover to play AOE3 few about a month now and it always worked great until today...
The game starts with a black screen and I can hear the startup game trailer but cannot skip it (normally you can). When I tab out to see what the issues is I see an error message "Age of Empires 3 has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience". Regardless of me clicking on accept or not on that message the game quits at that point. Any idea how I can fix this? :wood:
Not sure. You could try reinstalling with a new wine bottle in Crossover and see if that fixes it.
Italy bananapple
Crossbow

Post by bananapple »

Tried a couple of times and I keep getting the same error. Trying to figure out a fix for this but I have no experience with crossover or wine :/
Please let me know if you have any ideas or alternative solutions to running AOE3 on macOS Catalina.

@Mitoe , are you also running on a mac? If so would you mind sharing your method of doing so?
Italy bananapple
Crossbow

Post by bananapple »

Mitoe wrote:Great guide, thanks for writing this. :) I've stickied this thread, and will also be adding a future WineSkin guide for other Mac users.
You lied to me. :unsure: