[How To] Stream and Listen to Music, without streaming the music

Do you like hearing a streamer's music on-stream?

Yes
59%
No
41%

Total votes: 51

United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

[How To] Stream and Listen to Music, without streaming the music

Post by musketeer925 »

I don't know about everyone (so I created a poll about it, so I would), but it annoys my when someone is streaming but plays their own music, as with first-person streams with no commentary, I'd rather watch the stream and turn on my own music without losing the AoE3 sounds.

As such, I wanted to write a tutorial for how to play music on your PC while streaming, but only stream the AoE3 sounds. You'll need a couple pieces of software to do this:
1) Audio Router (direct download)
2) VB-Audio Virtual Audio Cable

After installing these, it's actually pretty easy. Initially, opening audio router and AoE3, I see this:
My default audio device is my speakers, which an entry for both appear in the menu. All programs show up under "Default Audio Device" unless you move them around in audio router. You'll notice I've got music playing from Spotify in Chrome here.

First, let's move AoE3 to the "Cable Input", which is the VB-Audio Virtual Audio Cable driver. The VB-Cable Input will be what gets streamed. Do this by hitting the arrow under AoE3, click "Route", and select that device. This move AoE3 to our stream target, but we can't hear it anymore. To fix this, we want to duplicate AoE3 back to Speakers, so we can hear it again. Click under AoE3 again, click "Duplicate", and select the actual name of your desired listening device (in my case, "Speakers"). This gets us to here:

Now you should be able to hear AoE3 again. Note, we would have just skipped a step and duplicated it from Default to VB-Cable Input, but when I try to do that, it removes it from Default Audio Device. I think this is a bug in the program.

Now we need to reconfigure our streaming software to stream the VB-Cable input instead of the default audio.

OBS Classic
In the older versions of OBS (now called "OBS Classic" on their website), this is in "Settings -> Audio -> Desktop Audio Device".

OBS Studio
For OBS studio, click the "gear" by Desktop Audio in the audio mixer, and grab the VB-Audio Virtual Cable there.

That should be it! Hope it's useful to someone. You could adapt this guide for routing things like a discord voice channel around if you wanted it on stream or not.
Germany Lukas_L99
Pro Player
Donator 01
ESO: Lukas_L99

Re: [How To] Stream and Listen to Music, without streaming the music

Post by Lukas_L99 »

Awesome, I've been searching for that but couldn't find anything useful
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

The only small joy in streaming is subjecting others to my strange music.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

jokes on u i have permanent sound bug!
mad cuz bad
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

YEES THANK YOU @musketeer925
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

I wish I could stream with music because I like music but then you get all the copyright infringements.
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by musketeer925 »

kami_ryu wrote:I wish I could stream with music because I like music but then you get all the copyright infringements.

Another good reason to utilize the guide. ^_^
Netherlands MCJim
Retired Contributor
ESO: MCJim

Post by MCJim »

Wow thank you, I am already looking for this for years!
:food: My AoE3 YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MCJimAgeofEmpiresIII
:wood: My AoE3 Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/MCJim_

:coin: Age of Streaming YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AgeOfStreaming
United States of America dicktator_
Howdah
EWT
ESO: Conquerer999

Post by dicktator_ »

I knew this was possible (H2O uses something like this) but was too lazy to seek it out myself (looks like other people tried and failed anyway so idk if I would've had better luck). I'll definitely start using it now.
steniothejonjoe wrote:I can micro better than 99% of the player base and that's 100% objective
:mds:
Singapore milku3459
Howdah
ESO: milku3459

Post by milku3459 »

kami_ryu wrote:I wish I could stream with music because I like music but then you get all the copyright infringements.

nocopyrightsound on youtube

When i play music people ask me "whats this track i love it"
Howdah
EWT

Post by dicktator_ »

BTW I couldn't answer the poll because it really depends on the streamer. Garja for example streams with some really nice music imo, while when AJIV used to stream he would listen to music that I really didn't like.
steniothejonjoe wrote:I can micro better than 99% of the player base and that's 100% objective
France P i k i l i c
Howdah
ESO: Pikilic
GameRanger ID: 7497456

Post by P i k i l i c »

milku3459 wrote:When i play music people ask me "whats this track i love it"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6120QOlsfU
Consider not the one who speaks the truth, but the truth that is said

:hmm: AoE logic :hmm:
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by musketeer925 »

dicktator_ wrote:BTW I couldn't answer the poll because it really depends on the streamer. Garja for example streams with some really nice music imo, while when AJIV used to stream he would listen to music that I really didn't like.

I apologize for my poll-making skills. I guess I should have called @deleted_user5.

I guess the real question is, are you more likely to watch Garja's stream with his music as-is than if it didn't have music? My guess is that anyone who answered "No" is less likely to watch a stream that plays music. I'm not as confident that all "Yes" answers are more likely to watch a stream that has music.
Bavaria Gichtenlord
Howdah
Donator 03

Post by Gichtenlord »

dicktator_ wrote:BTW I couldn't answer the poll because it really depends on the streamer. Garja for example streams with some really nice music imo, while when AJIV used to stream he would listen to music that I really didn't like.

AJIV stream was not possible to watch. His sound and video quality was awful
r]
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

The risk of streamers listening to music I don't like is too high, unfortunately, so I usually either turn it off or mute. :?
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

musketeer925 wrote:

I apologize for my poll-making skills. I guess I should have called @deleted_user5.

I guess the real question is, are you more likely to watch Garja's stream with his music as-is than if it didn't have music? My guess is that anyone who answered "No" is less likely to watch a stream that plays music. I'm not as confident that all "Yes" answers are more likely to watch a stream that has music.

garja's stream musics are cool for sure,
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

There should be an application that makes the music uploaded to twitch seperately, so that viewers can decide to mute or not mute the music! I do not have coding skills though, unfortunately.
Brazil VITAOOOOOOOOO1
Skirmisher
ESO: VITAOOOOOOOOO1

Post by VITAOOOOOOOOO1 »

phpBB [video]

LISTEN THIS MUSIC :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: :hehe: SEE THIS @KINGofOsmane @MARCO1698 @deleted_user5 :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:
Howdah
EWT

Post by dicktator_ »

It's fucky with discord btw. I had run as admin, route to virtual cable, duplicate and while it' was stuck on duplication pending, go into discord settings and set output audio device to the default.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

deleted_user wrote:
musketeer925 wrote:

garja's stream musics are cool for sure,
best music = me
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by musketeer925 »

Jerom wrote:There should be an application that makes the music uploaded to twitch seperately, so that viewers can decide to mute or not mute the music! I do not have coding skills though, unfortunately.

Twitch would have to support such a feature, unless you mean having two entirely separate streams -- one for the music and one for your gameplay. At which point, you may as well just be listening to music from any third-party source.
Germany Lukas_L99
Pro Player
Donator 01
ESO: Lukas_L99

Post by Lukas_L99 »

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but is there a way to save the Audio Router settings?
I need to tab out to duplicate the AoE audio, if I tab back into the game is in windowed mode so my cursor always goes to my 2nd monitor while being ingame. Only restarting the game fixes that problem, but then the Audio Router settings are gone lol.
Estonia Paul312
Skirmisher
ESO: Cla$$ic -Classic_aoe
Clan: KEKs

Post by Paul312 »

Finally you can watch a miggo stream without turning the volume down immediately.
Netherlands MCJim
Retired Contributor
ESO: MCJim

Post by MCJim »

musketeer925 wrote:

Another good reason to utilize the guide. ^_^

It's a nice guide, for sure.

Though, it's also possible to just put ear plugs on and play music from Spotify from your mobile.
:food: My AoE3 YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MCJimAgeofEmpiresIII
:wood: My AoE3 Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/MCJim_

:coin: Age of Streaming YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AgeOfStreaming
Germany amiggo1999
Advanced Player
Donator 01
ESO: miggo1999

Post by amiggo1999 »

@Paul312 who ever said I would ever consider implementing this? :D
Image Image