File that I can't take control of

Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

File that I can't take control of

Post by gibson »

I'm having a very strange issue. I uninstalled the game several days ago and now am trying to reinstall through steam. However it failed to install because it was missing the file privilege from this string
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\downloading\105450\bin\art\ui\random_map\borneo\borneo_map.ddt
However, when i got to random_map it wouldn't let me access the file because I didnt have permission
yesh 3.PNG
. It wont let me view anything in security because it says i must read permissions first
yesh.PNG
". And then when
I click advanced to try to change the owner or permissions it won't let me view the owner or the permissions
yesh1.PNG
and when I try to change the owner or or hit continue to view permissions it pops up with a window that says I don't have permission to view or access the settings.
yesh 2.PNG
I've attached pictures of exactly what it says to. @musketeer925 @Buckethead or anyone one else who might have a clue whats going on
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Re: File that I can't take control of

Post by Dolan »

You can use this tool, but I think it works when you have the admin account.

Download the attachment to this post, unarchive it and run the Install_Take_Ownership.reg file. It adds a new context menu command which forces all file permissions to be owned by the current admin account.
If you want, at some point, to uninstall the command, run the Uninstall_Take_Ownership.reg file.

After you install it, you can select the file you want to change permissions to and click Take Ownership. In most cases, it's able to force ownership to your current admin account.
Attachments
Take_Ownership.zip
(902 Bytes) Downloaded 17 times
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Dolan wrote:You can use this tool, but I think it works when you have the admin account.

Download the attachment to this post, unarchive it and run the Install_Take_Ownership.reg file. It adds a new context menu command which forces all file permissions to be owned by the current admin account.
If you want, at some point, to uninstall the command, run the Uninstall_Take_Ownership.reg file.

After you install it, you can select the file you want to change permissions to and click Take Ownership. In most cases, it's able to force ownership to your current admin account.
I'm using an admin account which is why this is so weird but thanks for the tip I'll try it when I get home
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Dolan wrote:You can use this tool, but I think it works when you have the admin account.

Sadly it didn't work. After I right click the file and run the take ownership it still doesn't give me access to it.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Check if anything changed in the permissions tab, see if this time you can change anything there. Like reset permissions for this owner.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

lol - the bug that gave you opportune to create millions of free account, are maybe the same bug that is screwing your re-installations? Blessings in disguise :cry:
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Dolan wrote:Check if anything changed in the permissions tab, see if this time you can change anything there. Like reset permissions for this owner.

It's still exactly the same :(
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

What are you trying to do with this file, remove it?
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Dolan wrote:What are you trying to do with this file, remove it?

It just needs to be accessible for aoe3 to be redownloaded, but removing it would be fine too.
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player
EWTNWC LAN SilverAdvanced Division WinnerDonator 01

Post by lordraphael »

iwillspankyou wrote:lol - the bug that gave you opportune to create millions of free account, are maybe the same bug that is screwing your re-installations? Blessings in disguise :cry:

you dont have to unistall to get a new account. Its also not a bug on aoes side more a "bug" on steams side
breeze wrote: they cant even guess how much f***ing piece of stupid retarded they look they are trying to give lesson to people who are over pr35 and know the best mu. im pretty sure that we need a page that only pr30+ post and then we could have a nice discussins.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

lordraphael wrote:
iwillspankyou wrote:lol - the bug that gave you opportune to create millions of free account, are maybe the same bug that is screwing your re-installations? Blessings in disguise :cry:

you dont have to unistall to get a new account. Its also not a bug on aoes side more a "bug" on steams side

No this was different. Both my and @mongobillione could just create new accounts without changing the cd key. Like we could just click create new account and it wouldn't give us the error 101 and could do it as many times as we wanted. I created like 20 accounts in about 10 minutes.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

gibson wrote:
lordraphael wrote:

No this was different. Both my and @mongobillione could just create new accounts without changing the cd key. Like we could just click create new account and it wouldn't give us the error 101 and could do it as many times as we wanted. I created like 20 accounts in about 10 minutes.

Yeah, this appears to be a server-side bug on ESO.
momuuu wrote: theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

gibson wrote:It just needs to be accessible for aoe3 to be redownloaded, but removing it would be fine too.

There is another way. You can restart Windows in Command prompt and try to remove that file outside of the system, so that it doesn't enforce user permissions.

To do that, you have to click Restart while holding Shift. Then, instead of rebooting, you're gonna see the blue menu with some choices. Go this route:

Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Command prompt

You might need to enter your password at some point, so make sure you have a wired keyboard (because drivers for wireless keyboards are not loaded yet).

Then it's going to restart in command prompt on a virtual drive X that runs in the RAM (the WinRE drive). So you change directory and go to the location you need to delete. Type each of these lines then Enter after each one:

Code: Select all

cd /d c:/"Program Files (x86)"/Steam/steamapps/downloading/105450/bin/art/ui/random_map/borneo/
del borneo_map.ddt
exit

I assume your local disk is c: but if it's d: or another, change the path accordingly.

Now it's going to go back to the blue menu where you pick to restart in Windows 10, normally.

You can try this one and see if it works.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Thanks @Dolan I'm positive that would have worked, but when i went to restart my computer I saw that it had to install updates so I decided to let it do that first and after it restarted the issue has disappeared. I should have just restarted it off the bat and saved myself some trouble. Guess it was just windows being windows.
United States of America Darwin_
Howdah

Post by Darwin_ »

Yeah I got this same issue a few times and it just involved me doing a bunch of different things to no avail then me trying again some other day for it to work.
somppukunkku wrote:This is not a fucking discogame.
France Rikikipu
Retired Contributor
ESO: p-of

Post by Rikikipu »

gibson wrote:
lordraphael wrote:

loool, when was it ?