Logging onto ESO in dynasties crashes the game

Netherlands Skae
Crossbow
ESO: Skae

Logging onto ESO in dynasties crashes the game

Post by Skae »

i can start up the game fine but when i log onto ESO (with an account that worked before on the same PC/setup) it just crashes (not responding, then closing quickly after).

I tried the normal version without expansions and i can log onto ESO (however some menus look a bit messed up and text in buttons is missing and that kind of stuff).

I tried reinstalling and it didn't work after that.

help would be greatly appreciated!
New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
Howdah
ESO: Ex-Contributor

Re: Logging onto ESO in dynasties crashes the game

Post by JakeyBoyTH »

It sounds like a compatibility error - have you got the minimum requirements and not running Vista?
Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk

Ugh Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk
Netherlands Skae
Crossbow

Post by Skae »

This account and setup/PC have worked before without problems.
I have the minimum reqs and am running windows 10 (with windows XP SP 3 compatibility)
i can log onto ESO in Vanilla and Warchiefs, just not in Dynasties, however some fonts are totally screwed up and/or missing in the menus.
India _RDX_
Lancer
ESO: _RDX_

Post by _RDX_ »

Hey! welcome to ESOC btw! Does this problem occur since you installed the game? Or did it start to happen after a while? This is a very strange error. If the game runs fine, there shouldn't be a problem with logging into ESO. Do you have your graphic drivers installed and updated? If the problem still persists after doing these... You should try changing and testing each compatibility mode since you're using win 10. If not try doing a clean uninstall and clearing the registry (This resets everything). And then reinstall again and always run as administrator.
oranges.
Netherlands Skae
Crossbow

Post by Skae »

The game worked fine before on the same PC, i haven't played in a couple of months, and when i wanted to play again it crashed on logging in to ESO.
The game itself runs fine (singleplayer works and all) aside from some missing texts in menus.
I can log onto ESO in vanilla and warchiefs though, just not in dynasties.
I have also done the full reinstall with registry clean.
I always run as admin already.

I have tried all compatibility modes as well.
I really cant find anything else (and no one else seems to have had this problem)
India _RDX_
Lancer

Post by _RDX_ »

Could you give a screenshot on this problem?
oranges.
Netherlands Skae
Crossbow

Post by Skae »

of what exactly? :p
because as soon as i press the button to log in i get a glimpse of the multiplayer menu, followed by a black screen for half a second. after the black screen is gone i get the generic windows not responding window.
before that it all looks fine except for some missing texts (or is that what you want the screenshot off?)
India _RDX_
Lancer

Post by _RDX_ »

Yes, before and after.. I had some different issue like this. Try this: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/wiki/protect_defender-protect_scanning/how-to-exclude-a-filefolder-from-windows-defender/f32ee18f-a012-4f02-8611-0737570e8eee

Add age3y.exe to the process tab by typing it. Adding an exclusion from Windows Defender actually helps sometime.
oranges.
Netherlands Skae
Crossbow

Post by Skae »

before:
http://imgur.com/a/VO2Bn
after:
black screen/windows "not responding" window
Netherlands Skae
Crossbow

Post by Skae »

I fixed it, after looking around i noticed more people had missing texts and someone had managed to fix it by changing all fonts in fonts3.xml from bolt=true to bolt=false.
it seems the ESO menu crashed because it could not handle a certain item not being displayed, and because some versions of windows 10/graphic drivers/setups/or combination of those can not properly display a bold font, you can get this freak bug where a game crashes because a font can not be displayed properly...

So if anyone else on this forum is having missing texts in menus/options/ingame and downloading the newest service pack for windows 10 did not help, or if they crash at logging into ESO let them follow these steps:

1: navigate to the FONTS folder: Age Of Empires 3\bin\FONTS or if you use steam: Steam\steamapps\common\Age Of Empires 3\bin\FONTS
2: open the fonts3.xml file in notepad or similar.
3: change all occurences of <param Bold="true"/> to <param Bold="false"/>
4: save changes.
5: laugh at how stupid certain bugs can be and enjoy the game again.