Another FTJ thread

Macedonia Lurker
Crossbow

Another FTJ thread

Post by Lurker »

Hey, long time not seen. So i purchased aoe3 legit on steam to play online, and to my disbelief i got failedtojoin, which leads to the question why, because i have had far far more worse online rts games that use 2-3 3rd party software to communicate and not demand me to portforward. So yeah, i have a dual-router internet, i port forwarded on both my ipv4 and the router's internal ip. Went with user.cfg override Port and ip address. I haven't used the eso community patch yet, but my question is why is this happening.

Did everything that asked me here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... ost-an-age

And here http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... ed+to+join

and veni's pdf thing. Verify integrity, didn't work. And i'm very pessimistic that a reinstall will fix it. So far i haven't put my modded stuff that i had from the cd version, but if i did that i'd probably screw it up more.

Image this is the router my computer is connected directly
Image this is the router that gives the traffic, which the first router is connected to
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Re: Another FTJ thread

Post by musketeer925 »

When you say you have two routers, how are they configured in the network? Are they both really routers or is one just set up as an access point? Or is one of the router's WAN port connected to the other's LAN?

I suspect you're not forwarding the port all they way from the outside of your network to your PC.

I would also stay away from use "OverrideAddress". As far as I know, this usually doesn't help with FTJ, there's a different issue ("The IP address the game is trying to use is invalid") that this setting can both fix, or if you set it wrong, cause.

No need to get ESOC patch set up until you fix this, it doesn't have anything in it to help with FTJ.
United States of America Durokan
Retired Contributor
ESO: Durokan

Post by Durokan »

I use windscribe when I have FTJ issues and it makes them go away
Check out my Custom Map Workshop here!
http://eso-community.net/viewtopic.php?p=98718#top
Macedonia Lurker
Crossbow

Post by Lurker »

one router goes to the other router, and the my computer is connected to the 2nd router. They are all fledged up routers. Edited to show screenshot

I'm just randomly clicking on a lobby that doesn't hand me crc mismatch, because that is the eso patch thing. And i get failed to join.

I'm heavily considering to refund it if there is no use playing it on the official servers
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by musketeer925 »

OK. So to make this easier, I'm going to use these names/assumptions (refer to picture):

Router 1: The outermost router, WAN port connects to your ISP.
LAN 1: The LAN served by router 1. Devices on this LAN are probably assigned IP's by Router 1's DHCP service (although you may have all or certain devices set to static IPs. I would recommend this for Router 2). Let's say this LAN has IPs in 10.0.0.X/24.

Router 2: The inner router. WAN port connects to LAN 1.
LAN 2: The inner LAN, served by router 2. Devices on this LAN are probably assigned IP's but Router 2's DHCP. Here, I'd recommend assigning the PC you're playing AoE on a static IP in this LAN. Let's say this LAN has IPs in 192.168.1.X/24.

In the configurations, since you're blacked out the IPs, I want to make sure you've got those right. In Router 1, you should be forwarding to Router 2's LAN 1 IP address. With my assumptions, 10.0.0.2 would be a likely IP for it. In Router 2, you should be forwarding to your PC's LAN #2 address. Make sure that router #1 has a static LAN #1 IP and your PC has a static LAN #2 IP. The best way to test everything is to write a quick TCP server and TCP client (I'd do it in Python), set the server up running on your PC TCP port 2300 and then point the client at your external IP (in my diagram that's 56.98.30.12) and make sure it can make a connection. If that works, your config is fine and the game is doing something dumb. If it doesn't, your configuration is wrong

I know you probably know what you're doing here with a dual router configuration set up like this, but many people don't realize that each router adds a layer of NAT and you should have separate IP address blocks in each LAN (i.e., if both the WAN and LAN sides of router #2 are in the 192.168.1.X/24 block, Router #2 doesn't really know where to send packets addressed to 192.168.1.X). "Easy-configuration" GUIs in routers make it easy for someone to get a complex network like this set up improperly.

Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by musketeer925 »

Testing things is infinitely better than hoping we got the settings right. Here's a test script. Install Python 3, double click on the .py file after extracting from zip.

If it immediately says "Port is correctly forwarded" after entering your external IP and hitting enter, your port forwarding set up right (assuming you actually entered the external IP). Then I'd check firewall settings on AoE3, that could be the culprit. If port forwarding isn't right, it will just hang after entering your IP.
Attachments
port_forward_test.zip
(575 Bytes) Downloaded 16 times
Macedonia Lurker
Crossbow

Post by Lurker »

With many hours wasted, as poor mu925 tried to help my sorry butt to fix this issue, i came to the conclusion of something pretty strange. While i can join some lobbies without the ports, i find that i cannot join the majority of them, getting a ftj. Which means, depending on lady luck i cannot play with everyone online :(

I guess solved or something.
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor
ESO: Octanium

Post by Ashvin »

Try the VPN Durokan mentioned I think you get it rolling.
Macedonia Lurker
Crossbow

Post by Lurker »

No thank you, i'm not gonna just use a shady freemium vpn to play a game online, if port forwarding didn't work it's simply not fixable. What i don't get is why to some people i can connect, and to some i can't.
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by musketeer925 »

Lurker wrote:No thank you, i'm not gonna just use a shady freemium vpn to play a game online, if port forwarding didn't work it's simply not fixable. What i don't get is why to some people i can connect, and to some i can't.

As far as I know this is the behavior most people see when they have issues with Failed to Join.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

I would pretty confidently place my bets on that a VPN will solve your FTJ. Whether portforwarding doesn't work, or it is simply done incorrectly, I don't know - but a VPN certainly fixes FTJ issues even where people have failed to solve it any other way.
Pay more attention to detail.
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor
ESO: Octanium

Post by Ashvin »

I think your ports are not forwarded at all, do you have any print cmd statement where you can see it? What vpn does is it tunnels through your network to the game with most of the ports open which ensures it's working.

You can try to open ports on your router(s) -> check on cmd whether the ports are actually opened and then proceed.