Router issue

Portugal BluZz
Crossbow
ESO: BluZz

Router issue

Post by BluZz »

Hello its me again with more problems! Sorry :(

So i'm a huge Age of empires fan, i have played age of empires 1 and 2 when i was a kid so as age of mythology. When age of empires 3 came out on 2005 i straight bought it for 40 euros (still have it but 2nd cd is scratched). Then last week i decided to buy it on steam sales and since then i have turned the internet upside down trying to find a fix to my router - game issue. Vpn seems to work but i experience lag ( delay of 1-2 seconds on actions and sometimes some freezes) so as everyone which plays with me. I have tried port forwarding with no success (ports were successfully opened but somehow still get "failed to join" error in 99% of the games). Router gaming mode works for the 1st game and this is what i find the weirdest thing of all. I turn gaming mode ON on my router, i open my steam ->game i join or host one game and when i finish that game i can no longer host or join and i have to turn gaming mode OFF and ON again so i can join or host a game again.

If someone can HELP ME somehow i would really appreciate it.

Just one more thing, i think we can all agree that something has to be done, a ninja-fix whatsoever, i know some people that like the game but quit cause of similar issues, i doubt they will release something after so many years tho. If i wasn't someone which really enjoys this franchise i would probably quit on 1st day i bough it by refunding it. Its just a shame to think that my childhood game is slowly dying and unfriendly for new players to the franchise.
Australia Pseudo-ku
Crossbow
ESO: Pseudoku

Re: Router issue

Post by Pseudo-ku »

What's your router make and model, are you cable or wireless, who's your ISP and how much download speed do you get with your plan?

Also, do you typically host the games? Do people ever comment on your connection status (yellow or orange or red)? Do you play with people mostly from EU or other zones?
Pseudo-ku#8217 on discord
/id/iampseudo on Steam

always available
hit me up anytime for
chats over coffee

<3
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

BluZz wrote:when i finish that game i can no longer host or join and i have to turn gaming mode OFF and ON again so i can join or host a game again.

What if you just keep it on, restart the game and try to join a room asap?

I think you have a similar issue like I do, I need to constantly be in a game room with other people, otherwise I get FTJ if I stay idle for like 30-60secs.
momuuu wrote: ↑theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
Portugal BluZz
Crossbow

Post by BluZz »

My router model is Technicolor TG784n v3, i play wireless when at home, my ISP name is MEO from Portugal. My speed test when wireless averages 70 mb of download speed. I mostly host games when i don't find the type of game i'm looking for. Honestly i don't know where people i play with are from and people don't comment on my connection status, i barely have action delays when i'm playing with gaming mode ON instead of vpn.
Portugal BluZz
Crossbow

Post by BluZz »

EAGLEMUT wrote:
BluZz wrote:when i finish that game i can no longer host or join and i have to turn gaming mode OFF and ON again so i can join or host a game again.

I think you have a similar issue like I do, I need to constantly be in a game room with other people, otherwise I get FTJ if I stay idle for like 30-60secs.

Hmm i don't know guess i'll have to try, but ye its pretty much what happens.
Australia Pseudo-ku
Crossbow

Post by Pseudo-ku »

BluZz wrote:My router model is Technicolor TG784n v3, i play wireless when at home, my ISP name is MEO from Portugal. My speed test when wireless averages 70 mb of download speed. I mostly host games when i don't find the type of game i'm looking for. Honestly i don't know where people i play with are from and people don't comment on my connection status, i barely have action delays when i'm playing with gaming mode ON instead of vpn.

Hmmm. That's very good for a wireless connection. Do you have problems when you are playing on other people's hosts?

What channel do you broadcast the WiFi on? default should be 1, 6 or 11.

Also check that your router is not on 'eco mode' - it's a blue light.

AND - are you operating on DSL, Ethernet or 3G (check your WAN settings)?
/id/iampseudo on Steam

always available
hit me up anytime for
chats over coffee

<3
Portugal BluZz
Crossbow

Post by BluZz »

Pseudo-ku wrote:
BluZz wrote:My router model is Technicolor TG784n v3, i play wireless when at home, my ISP name is MEO from Portugal. My speed test when wireless averages 70 mb of download speed. I mostly host games when i don't find the type of game i'm looking for. Honestly i don't know where people i play with are from and people don't comment on my connection status, i barely have action delays when i'm playing with gaming mode ON instead of vpn.

Hmmm. That's very good for a wireless connection. Do you have problems when you are playing on other people's hosts?

What channel do you broadcast the WiFi on? default should be 1, 6 or 11.

Also check that your router is not on 'eco mode' - it's a blue light.

No, just checked and my router is not on 'eco mode'. What kind of problems on other people's hosts? When i can join them i don't have problems i think. I suppose my wifi is broadcasted on channel 1 since my ip is 192.168.1.69.

My wan type is Ethernet.
Australia Pseudo-ku
Crossbow

Post by Pseudo-ku »

BluZz wrote:No, just checked and my router is not on 'eco mode'. What kind of problems on other people's hosts? When i can join them i don't have problems i think. I suppose my wifi is broadcasted on channel 1 since my ip is 192.168.1.69.

My wan type is Ethernet.

Awesome, so it's probably not a hardware issue. As long as you have an Ethernet based connection, you can safely keep that wan type on Ethernet or AutoWAN.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/hel ... ost-an-age
Port listings for Age of Empires III

If you do not use the Windows Firewall program, you can still open the ports that are used by the game when you configure the network.

To make sure that these ports are open, or to open these ports, contact the network administrator or the Internet service provider (ISP). If you are the administrator of the network, see the documentation that is provided with your networking software to determine how to open these ports.

The following list explains the port configuration specifications for the game:
Port forwarding must be enabled on the TCP port 80.
Port forwarding must be enabled on the TCP port 2300.
Port forwarding must be enabled on the UDP ports that are in the range of 2300 to 2310 from your router to the computer that is hosting the game.

So I don't think you need to manually port forward in order to host a game. Try auto port forwarding, make sure those ports are open.

Also back in a bit, goin for brekkie.
/id/iampseudo on Steam

always available
hit me up anytime for
chats over coffee

<3
Portugal BluZz
Crossbow

Post by BluZz »

Pseudo-ku wrote:
BluZz wrote:No, just checked and my router is not on 'eco mode'. What kind of problems on other people's hosts? When i can join them i don't have problems i think. I suppose my wifi is broadcasted on channel 1 since my ip is 192.168.1.69.

My wan type is Ethernet.

Awesome, so it's probably not a hardware issue. As long as you have an Ethernet based connection, you can safely keep that wan type on Ethernet or AutoWAN.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/hel ... ost-an-age
Port listings for Age of Empires III

If you do not use the Windows Firewall program, you can still open the ports that are used by the game when you configure the network.

To make sure that these ports are open, or to open these ports, contact the network administrator or the Internet service provider (ISP). If you are the administrator of the network, see the documentation that is provided with your networking software to determine how to open these ports.

The following list explains the port configuration specifications for the game:
Port forwarding must be enabled on the TCP port 80.
Port forwarding must be enabled on the TCP port 2300.
Port forwarding must be enabled on the UDP ports that are in the range of 2300 to 2310 from your router to the computer that is hosting the game.

So I don't think you need to manually port forward in order to host a game. Try auto port forwarding, make sure those ports are open.

Also back in a bit, goin for brekkie.

What do u mean by auto port-forwarding? Do u mean to enable Upnp?

Im going to sleep now, thx for ur help so far, much appreciated :)
Australia Pseudo-ku
Crossbow

Post by Pseudo-ku »

Your port forwarding needs to be set to TCP/UDP, and then make sure that the ports listed in that article are covered.
/id/iampseudo on Steam

always available
hit me up anytime for
chats over coffee

<3
Portugal BluZz
Crossbow

Post by BluZz »

Pseudo-ku wrote:Your port forwarding needs to be set to TCP/UDP, and then make sure that the ports listed in that article are covered.

This is my port configuration.
https://gyazo.com/c6127ec7bb1f6236177248ccf9858400
https://gyazo.com/4cab4fbedf3b9ba8c15325caec59a3e5

I have already tried that and it doesn't work. Today i'm going to try a couple more configurations and see what the result is.
Australia Pseudo-ku
Crossbow

Post by Pseudo-ku »

Hmmmm. Okay. Dump any findings you have in this thread. Be sure to try it with multiple different people.
/id/iampseudo on Steam

always available
hit me up anytime for
chats over coffee

<3
Portugal BluZz
Crossbow

Post by BluZz »

EAGLEMUT wrote:

Seems like it is as you described, if i join or host a game right after i finish a game i have no problems, but if i idle for some minutes as i usually do between games i have to redo everything.