No Flag 91
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Can't launch AoE3 from Steam on windows 10

Post by 91 »

Hey I just got windows 10 and now I can't launch TAD anymore. It says:
"C:Program Files (x86)SteaminSteamService.exe

File system error (-1073741819)"

I tried finding the TAD exe file inside the steam and launch from there, same error except different path (C:Program Files (x86)SteamsteamappscommonAge Of Empires 3inage3y.exe)

I tried launching both steam (C:Program Files (x86)SteamSteam.exe) and the age3y.exe as admin, same error. I tried to uninstall steam - same error (C:Program Files (x86)Steamuninstall.exe).

In the "apps and features" (like the control center where you remove/uninstall programs) it says "unavailable" on steam and my steam games. It has unavailable on a fwe other weird things including chrome, spotify, VLC player, but they all work fine. However, launching as admin never works. Have anybody else run into the same problem? :(
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Go to library

Right click on aoe3

properties

"verify integrity of game cache" ?
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
No Flag 91
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by 91 »

"1 file failed to validate and will be reacquired"
(btw, can only do this after deactivating audio, otherwise it requires admin rights -> fail)

Though, I got one step closer to the problem I think. I go to services and stop "Windows Audio" as I saw somewhere. Now I can run my programs as admin. I can launch aoe, but I have no sound obviously.... And when I turn it on again the game won't launch.. :(

No sound, or no AoE :(
No Flag 91
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by 91 »

great, thanks guys. found a solution that worked. Well at least something easy that worked. So for all the others that might face this problem not being able to run programs as admin:

1. Go to "Services". Right click on "Windows Audio" and click "stop".
2. See if you can run any program as admin.
3. If you can, go to UAC (User account control settings)
4. Choose the lowest security (note that this is not recommended, but that it's about AoE, and you know what your heart truly wants.)
5. Turn your sound on again.

Notice that step 1 is needed to do step 4.

:)
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

weird

i'm staying on windows 8.1 until they sort of W10's shit

also heavily dislike how W10 update is tied to a machine (so you might get screwed over if you upgrade your motherboard and processor) and you don't get an actual key. i heavily, heavily, dislike that
Garja wrote:
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
No Flag 91
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by 91 »

incog wrote:weird

i''m staying on windows 8.1 until they sort of W10''s shit

also heavily dislike how W10 update is tied to a machine (so you might get screwed over if you upgrade your motherboard and processor) and you don''t get an actual key. i heavily, heavily, dislike that
Yeah, it has many downsides, but also many upsides. I upgraded from windows 7 and the upsides I had were:
- My touchpad scroll started working again (hadnt worked for ages, no idea how it stopped working)
- All windows are much much smoother and faster to open/close (i.e. game windows that changes resolution and such)
- Microsoft Edge is a pretty smooth browser (sucks for debugging code though)
- Overall everything is much smoother.
- Smoothie

But then again.. You''d rather want things to work :D Yes I agree how they tie it to the motherboard is pretty stupid. But it works if you have a laptop that is so glued together that it''s not even worth trying to change things. :p
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

smoothie?

it came with food?

damn i'll reconsider
Garja wrote:
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

The smoothness is maybe neglible with windows 8 to windows 10. I feel like the improvement from windows 7 to 8 was huge in terms of performance. Windows 8 got hated on a little because they changed the layout to something that would only be useful on a tablet. Or if you use 1 programm at a time.

But Im definitely waiting with updating untill ppl tell me windows10 is really good.
No Flag N3O_Joe
Crossbow

Post by N3O_Joe »

Jerom. Update it. Been using it for months.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Is it that good? Is it really bug free? I hate updates lol... Im probably getting old.
No Flag N3O_Joe
Crossbow

Post by N3O_Joe »

jerom wrote:Is it that good? Is it really bug free? I hate updates lol... Im probably getting old.
Just trying to give me a chance to beat your Dutch!

Only issue I had with W10 is shadow play to work.