Yet another 'failed to join' issue

No Flag Babri
Crossbow

Yet another 'failed to join' issue

Post by Babri »

So as you all might by now that Aoe 3 can get into some connectivity issues when trying to join a game on ESO. I read about it and many posts said that you've to fix it by correctly forwarding ports 2300-2310 on both UDP & TCP. I've done this setting on my router and modem/router but still no avail.

The connection is like this : My PC (192.168.100) -> Tenda router (192.168.0.1) -> WiMax modem/router (192.168.5.1).

I'll post screenshots to elaborate.
http://imgur.com/a/lanDH

If I missed a setting or did something wrong, please do tell me. I've tried to fix this for like 2 weeks but no avail. Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

BTW I've also tried with a TP-link router but I had the same issue.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Re: Yet another 'failed to join' issue

Post by EAGLEMUT »

Hmm, I see you haven't forwarded port 80 in first router, that might be an issue?
momuuu wrote: theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
No Flag Babri
Crossbow

Post by Babri »

EAGLEMUT wrote:Hmm, I see you haven't forwarded port 80 in first router, that might be an issue?

Do I need to forward port 80 as well ? Because some people say you've to while others say that only 2300-2310 should work. Anyway I'll try forwarding 80 on both devices as well, but I don't think that is the issue.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05

Post by EAGLEMUT »

Babri wrote:
EAGLEMUT wrote:Hmm, I see you haven't forwarded port 80 in first router, that might be an issue?

Do I need to forward port 80 as well ? Because some people say you've to while others say that only 2300-2310 should work. Anyway I'll try forwarding 80 on both devices as well, but I don't think that is the issue.

Well for me from my own experience it didn't work without port 80, so I'd definitely try that.
It also says so on the official support page here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/907880, section "Port listings for Age of Empires III".
No Flag Babri
Crossbow

Post by Babri »

EAGLEMUT wrote:
Babri wrote:

Well for me from my own experience it didn't work without port 80, so I'd definitely try that.
It also says so on the official support page here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/907880, section "Port listings for Age of Empires III".

Ok. I've added port 80 as well but still the problem persists.

And I have my windows firewall disabled as well.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05

Post by EAGLEMUT »

Hmm, I'm not sure then, maybe @aenna could help? He seems to have knowledge about this exact setup:

aenna wrote:"Failed to Join" Dual-Router Fix:

Many people might do this, but its a common mistake for multi-router setups. As most things no longer need port forwarding and one of the routers may or may not block the other router in some situations (causing it to work sometimes, and not othertimes).
I was hoping to write a full guide on this, but after writing the last. Ive decided that there are enough quality guides, so I will partially write and link you to sites that will go into further detail.
First, youre going to need to port forward aoe3 to your most-internal(ignore this its technical) router.
This guy explains it in detail for all manufacturers : Click Here

Now for the actual Dual-Router issue. The problem is that although the router your PC is hooked to is forwarding the AoE3 ports, you will still experience Failed to Join. Due to the fact that the Router your Router is hooked up to, isnt forwarding the ports to the router. Basically, from the router thats hooked to the router you need to forward the ports to the ip(local to the first router) of the router that your PC is hooked to.
Now, I probably could have worded the above better, but to be honest its probably the easiest way to describe it.
For a detailed tutorial and software to detect the IP of the next router Click Here

But I don't see where you've gone wrong in there.
France krichk
Musketeer
ESO: AAAzzz___

Post by krichk »

I have absolutely no knowledge about everything you're talking about but just in case, have you tried the user.cfg thing? Doesn't work for me without it.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05

Post by EAGLEMUT »

krichk wrote:I have absolutely no knowledge about everything you're talking about but just in case, have you tried the user.cfg thing? Doesn't work for me without it.

Might be worth a try. The way to do this is to create a "user.cfg" file in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III\Startup with this content:
OverridePort=2301

and then you change the port range forwarding to just port 2301, while keeping port 80 also forwarded. I actually do have this thing enabled, but not sure if it matters.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05

Post by EAGLEMUT »

Well this is rather amusing, there were some guys from the ISP at my family's house the other day and it seems they messed up the router.. now I get FTJ myself in 90% of games. gg
I'll be setting up a new router from a new ISP tomorrow if it arrives though, so maybe I can share some fresh advice after.

That means no stream from me today again, so sad.. the crowds will be disappointed.
France krichk
Musketeer
ESO: AAAzzz___

Post by krichk »

EAGLEMUT wrote:
krichk wrote:I have absolutely no knowledge about everything you're talking about but just in case, have you tried the user.cfg thing? Doesn't work for me without it.

Might be worth a try. The way to do this is to create a "user.cfg" file in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III\Startup with this content:
OverridePort=2301

and then you change the port range forwarding to just port 2301, while keeping port 80 also forwarded. I actually do have this thing enabled, but not sure if it matters.

I didn't even know there was an 'OverridePort' function, what I have to use to make Eso work is
OverrideAddress="*ipaddress*"
I'm not 100% sure about the quotations mark though you may have to check.
I don't even know if it's relevant here but personally it's the only way I can make it work

EDIT: actual content of my cfg file:
//user.cfg

OverrideAddress="xx.xx.xx.xx"
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05

Post by EAGLEMUT »

krichk wrote:
EAGLEMUT wrote:

OverridePort=2301

I didn't even know there was an 'OverridePort' function, what I have to use to make Eso work is
OverrideAddress="*ipaddress*"
I'm not 100% sure about the quotations mark though you may have to check.
I don't even know if it's relevant here but personally it's the only way I can make it work

EDIT: actual content of my cfg file:
//user.cfg

OverrideAddress="xx.xx.xx.xx"

Ah, that one might help too, but I don't have it set up personally.
No Flag aenna
Musketeer

Post by aenna »

Babri wrote:So as you all might by now that Aoe 3 can get into some connectivity issues when trying to join a game on ESO. I read about it and many posts said that you've to fix it by correctly forwarding ports 2300-2310 on both UDP & TCP. I've done this setting on my router and modem/router but still no avail.

The connection is like this : My PC (192.168.100) -> Tenda router (192.168.0.1) -> WiMax modem/router (192.168.5.1).

If I missed a setting or did something wrong, please do tell me. I've tried to fix this for like 2 weeks but no avail. Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

This is pretty well documented with the screenshots. I applaud to that. It seems to be that you've setup everything correctly.

Although, generally you don't port-forward if you're already putting the router in a DMZ. So I'd keep the Exposed host settings, and get rid of the port forwarding (you never know how it'll act when you do these kinds of things).

If that doesn't work:
*Get a tool to check the ports from your PC (You would need something that would run a server on your PC) I recommend the following as it's easy to use and free : http://portforward.com/help/portcheck.htm
*Check any in the range you want
*If they are not open, try setting your computer in a DMZ from your router (2nd). As it definitely should be working then, as it has a clear path to the pc. (So we are assuming that it will not work, nevertheless try, maybe something else is going on)

If it still doesn't work:
It could mean either that you have a firewall on your PC blocking the ports, or that your ISP is blocking them (You would need to call them to have this fixed, or override the port aoe3 uses to one that they do allow)
No Flag Babri
Crossbow

Post by Babri »

aenna wrote:
Babri wrote:So as you all might by now that Aoe 3 can get into some connectivity issues when trying to join a game on ESO. I read about it and many posts said that you've to fix it by correctly forwarding ports 2300-2310 on both UDP & TCP. I've done this setting on my router and modem/router but still no avail.

This is pretty well documented with the screenshots. I applaud to that. It seems to be that you've setup everything correctly.

Although, generally you don't port-forward if you're already putting the router in a DMZ. So I'd keep the Exposed host settings, and get rid of the port forwarding (you never know how it'll act when you do these kinds of things).

If that doesn't work:
*Get a tool to check the ports from your PC (You would need something that would run a server on your PC) I recommend the following as it's easy to use and free : http://portforward.com/help/portcheck.htm
*If they are not open, try setting your computer in a DMZ from your router (2nd). As it definitely should be working then, as it has a clear path to the pc. (So we are assuming that it will not work, nevertheless try, maybe something else is going on)

It could mean either that you have a firewall on your PC blocking the ports, or that your ISP is blocking them (You would need to call them to have this fixed, or override the port aoe3 uses to one that they do allow)

Thanks for the help. I've tried different port checker apps. I checked port 2300, 2310 & 80 on both TCP & UDP. The problem seems to be with port 80 TCP which is consistently found to be closed. Do you think it is probably my ISP blocking this port ? Because my firewall is already disabled so I don't think it should be creating any problems.

And is this possible to force AOE 3 to use some other port like let's say 81 instead of 80 ?
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05

Post by EAGLEMUT »

Babri wrote:
aenna wrote:

If that doesn't work:

Thanks for the help. I've tried different port checker apps. I checked port 2300, 2310 & 80 on both TCP & UDP. The problem seems to be with port 80 TCP which is consistently found to be closed. Do you think it is probably my ISP blocking this port ? Because my firewall is already disabled so I don't think it should be creating any problems.

And is this possible to force AOE 3 to use some other port like let's say 81 instead of 80 ?

Unfortunately that's not possible as far as I know. I think contacting the ISP is your best bet right now, sometimes there's just nothing more you can do on your side when ISP is the issue.
No Flag aenna
Musketeer

Post by aenna »

Babri wrote:
aenna wrote:

If that doesn't work:

Port checkers cannot check for port 80, as generally there is a service already running on it. Basically, you need a program to be using the port to be able see if a port is open. The port checker I sent you listens on the port you input, and then asks another computer on the internet to see if it's open. Then responds to you with the answer.

Only one program can use a specific port at a time, so generally you won't be able to check for port 80 using this tool. I can almost guarantee you that port 80 isn't the issue here.

Disable your windows/other firewalls, then test 2300-2310 again, if it still doesn't work you'll have to contact your ISP and ask. As far as I can tell, your forwarding is setup correctly.
If you haven't done my recommendation :
aenna wrote:Although, generally you don't port-forward if you're already putting the router in a DMZ. So I'd keep the Exposed host settings, and get rid of the port forwarding (you never know how it'll act when you do these kinds of things).

You should probably try that first.
No Flag Babri
Crossbow

Post by Babri »

aenna wrote:Port checkers cannot check for port 80, as generally there is a service already running on it. Basically, you need a program to be using the port to be able see if a port is open. The port checker I sent you listens on the port you input, and then asks another computer on the internet to see if it's open. Then responds to you with the answer.

Only one program can use a specific port at a time, so generally you won't be able to check for port 80 using this tool. I can almost guarantee you that port 80 isn't the issue here.

Disable your windows/other firewalls, then test 2300-2310 again, if it still doesn't work you'll have to contact your ISP and ask. As far as I can tell, your forwarding is setup correctly.
If you haven't done my recommendation :
aenna wrote:Although, generally you don't port-forward if you're already putting the router in a DMZ. So I'd keep the Exposed host settings, and get rid of the port forwarding (you never know how it'll act when you do these kinds of things).

You should probably try that first.

I disabled the port forwarding in the WiMax as you suggested while the exposed host is enabled. 2300 to 2310 ports are getting forwarded just fine on both TCP & UDP (except port 80 on TCP of course). Still I get the FTJ error. I currently have both my Avira Antivirus & Windows Firewall disabled as well.
No Flag aenna
Musketeer

Post by aenna »

Hmm that's odd. What I'm about to suggest is a bit weird, it might help your situation, although this is in no way an actual solution.

Install and run utorrent (Just cause I don't know better wide spread program that will do this easily), go to options->preferences->connection set the listen port to 2305 and make sure that both port-mappings options (UpnP and NAT-PMP) are checked.
Keep the program open, then create a "user.cfg" file in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III\Startup" copy and paste

Code: Select all

OverridePort=2305

into it. Then run aoe3, and see if you can join any games (try multiple), if you can connect to a few but not all, restart aoe3 and see if you can join the game you weren't able to before.
No Flag Dafugh
Crossbow

Post by Dafugh »

I have the same Problem. But i can't join just with one Friend
i have
done the ports tcp: 2300-2310 and 80 udp: 2300-2310 and 80
activate UPnP
done the user.cfg with my ip (ipv4 or public?) and port 2309
deinstalled for one time
I have Win 10 Pro and my friend Win 7 Home. Maybe because of that?
Hope that you can help me

*Edit*
I have the Steam Edition
No Flag Babri
Crossbow

Post by Babri »

aenna wrote:Hmm that's odd. What I'm about to suggest is a bit weird, it might help your situation, although this is in no way an actual solution.

Install and run utorrent (Just cause I don't know better wide spread program that will do this easily), go to options->preferences->connection set the listen port to 2305 and make sure that both port-mappings options (UpnP and NAT-PMP) are checked.
Keep the program open, then create a "user.cfg" file in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III\Startup" copy and paste

Code: Select all

OverridePort=2305

into it. Then run aoe3, and see if you can join any games (try multiple), if you can connect to a few but not all, restart aoe3 and see if you can join the game you weren't able to before.

Still FTJ on all games I tested with both utorrent opened & closed. Also there was no directly like "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Age of Empires III\". I made a user.cfg file in documents/my games/Age of Empires 3/Startup instead.

BTW I have windows 10 pro installed on my PC & AOE 3 is the steam complete version.

Edit: Surprisingly, after making the tests I was able to join one game by chance. However when trying again I got the same 'Failed to Join' error. I have no clue why is this error still happening. Either AOE 3's networking is programmed in a bad way or there is something wrong with my PC settings.
No Flag r4go
Howdah

Post by r4go »

Babri wrote:

It is open by default, is the port that late you use internet
Pizza, spaghetti, maccheroni, mandolino e tua mamma :flowers:
No Flag r4go
Howdah

Post by r4go »

Babri i need to know where are you from, an internet speed test, are you whit the wifi or tube, how many pc tablet phone are using your net. And i tell you soon, tp-link is pretty horrible for age, i have it, and i have to join in his configuration (192.168.1.1) write all the time admin/admin. Go on virtual server, refresh it (i fixed it for age) then go to port triggering and refresh aoe's ports. Sometimes i've to do it 1-3 times before it runs, and at the and of a game i often do this steeps again. Tp and the other router you used, have a strong control of the ips who are using the net, this make the router lost his configuration about virtual server and port a bit but it is enought to make problem whit programms peer to peer, and aoe server is peer to peer like Emule. Tell me if u have question. I can try to help you, but yuo have to install teammwiever, skype and well, i tell you, i work 8 hours per day, after it i have gym, in the weekend i'm out for parties and for my girl, we have to find a data in my few times :(
No Flag Babri
Crossbow

Post by Babri »

r4go wrote:Babri i need to know where are you from, an internet speed test, are you whit the wifi or tube, how many pc tablet phone are using your net. And i tell you soon, tp-link is pretty horrible for age, i have it, and i have to join in his configuration (192.168.1.1) write all the time admin/admin. Go on virtual server, refresh it (i fixed it for age) then go to port triggering and refresh aoe's ports. Sometimes i've to do it 1-3 times before it runs, and at the and of a game i often do this steeps again. Tp and the other router you used, have a strong control of the ips who are using the net, this make the router lost his configuration about virtual server and port a bit but it is enought to make problem whit programms peer to peer, and aoe server is peer to peer like Emule. Tell me if u have question. I can try to help you, but yuo have to install teammwiever, skype and well, i tell you, i work 8 hours per day, after it i have gym, in the weekend i'm out for parties and for my girl, we have to find a data in my few times :(

I am from Pakistan. My internet speed is 2Mbps & my PC is connected to my Tenda router through a lan cable. Here is the screenshot of my speed test.

[spoiler=spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

I had a tp link router before & it was giving the same issues. Then I got another router & I still have the problem with AOE 3. Anyway thanks for your response. Any suggestions would be welcome. If I fail to resolve it then I may need to get your help through TeamViewer or something.
No Flag r4go
Howdah

Post by r4go »

the ping is horrible :D try to change router, this give to much bad ping
No Flag Babri
Crossbow

Post by Babri »

r4go wrote:the ping is horrible :D try to change router, this give to much bad ping

It isn't really that bad, below 100ms is fine AFAIK.
No Flag r4go
Howdah

Post by r4go »

Not right, ping is important more than your speed, it shows how your connection lag, if it's runing is stable or not. Whit 72 of ping, it means you have a lot of lag and losting of internet packing, this game you anable to join in age, age is old server, better, an old kind of server, if you don't have a linear and not laggy connection you will not join in games. If you can try a netgear router, one of the last type. And you have a 2 mega, that is very low, uploads is ok, but you can't use skype or other programs while you are playing. Then if you are on 2 mega, i suppose your connection is a 7 mega right??