Pc help

United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Pc help

Post by n0el »

Not aoe3 related but need help from the OP nerds of ESOC. this morning my PC shut off randomly on its own when my hat fell on top of it. Now the power comes on but nothing happens other than the fan blows. I opened it up and tightened all the connections but still nothing. I can hear the fan turn on and the hard drive start spinning but that's it. None of my peripherals light up. I had his happen once before and it randomly jus started working one day.

Any advice would be great!
mad cuz bad
Palestine Mimsy for President
Jaeger

Re: Pc help

Post by Mimsy for President »

Pee on it to show dominance !
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

when I had issues like that it was because of my video card.

I just have a question, how heavy is your hat lol.
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

standard brim, i will post it in gibson outfit thread with my current outift
mad cuz bad
France Rikikipu
Retired Contributor
ESO: p-of

Post by Rikikipu »

mmmh, if nothing is happening it's strange. If your video card is dead, you should at least see somethings on the screen thanks to the chipset on the motherboard. It's not also the hard drive, because you should see the bios at the begining. I guess it's more something from the motherboard or the CPU.
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

Anyway to confirm that before I buy a new motherboard?
mad cuz bad
Brazil Buckethead
Retired Contributor

Post by Buckethead »

n0eL wrote:Anyway to confirm that before I buy a new motherboard?

Remove your off-board video card, connect the video cable to the on-board video output and see if it works.

If not, might be:
Your monitor.
- Test it somewhere else, or take borrowed to someone to test on your computer.
Your power supply.
- If it is weak or something, apparently everything will be working, but will not give video.
Your motherboard.
- If not for any of the above problems I listed, it will probably be it.

I recommend test what I said above, in the latter case, buy a motherboard.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Sounds like a faulty GPU, could be wrong. I'd go with what buckethead said and I would not buy anything new without a proper diagonistic.

Especially since motherboards require compatibility with processors! Also I do not want to incriminate the motherboard from the little I've seen. If fans are spinning and so on, then that leads me to believe that your motherboard is mostly fine.

If your computer stopped working when your hat fell on it, it might be some moving part which was damaged. In which case I wonder about your Hard Disk Drive.

I would recommend trying to disconnect the HDD from your motherboard and then trying to boot. Try to reach your computer's BIOS if you can. You do not need an OS-install to get to the BIOS. If you're able to get to the BIOS, then that means that CPU, motherboard, RAM, (videocard if you used that) and PSU should be in working order.

Sorry for lackluster advice. This is the sort of thing which is easier to troubleshoot if you have the machine in front of you; it's not a simple task to tell someone else how to do it.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

Thanks for all advice.

Here is the latest. I have two monitors, so I swapped the cables around and tried both. neither works. So I have ruled that out.

I disconnected my hard drive from the motherboard, booted and nothing happened...again. I reconnected it and still nothing. I went to work today, came home and tried powering up again. This time the Bios loaded. I had no idea what to do at that point, so I just closed it and was going to come here to ask for help. When I turned it on again, Windows loaded like normal and doesnt appear that there is anything wrong.

At this point is it safe to assume that when I played with the hard drive, I fixed whatever happened with the hat drop? Or could something else still have happened. I would like to try to understand this better in case of a future hat dropping incident. THanks again
mad cuz bad
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

I feel like the harddrive might just basically have disconnected (wirewise) when you dropped your hat on it.

I was dropped my phone on the floor, after which the screen wouldnt turn on anymore. When I opened it up I saw that a plug had been unplugged, plugged it back in and the phone worked properly again. Possibly what happened in your scenario.

Im still curious about the hat btw.
No Flag aenna
Musketeer

Post by aenna »

n0eL wrote:Not aoe3 related but need help from the OP nerds of ESOC. this morning my PC shut off randomly on its own when my hat fell on top of it. Now the power comes on but nothing happens other than the fan blows. I opened it up and tightened all the connections but still nothing. I can hear the fan turn on and the hard drive start spinning but that's it. None of my peripherals light up. I had his happen once before and it randomly jus started working one day.

Any advice would be great!

Sounds to me like the RAM is loose or defect.