Age of Empires III: Complete Collection won't launch so I can't create an ESO account

United States of America big_bhowl
Crossbow
ESO: big_bhowl

Age of Empires III: Complete Collection won't launch so I can't create an ESO account

Post by big_bhowl »

I downloaded AoE3 yesterday on Steam. I am using Windows 10. The War Chiefs and Asian Dynasties expansions run fine, even when I launch through Steam. AoE3: Complete Collection immediately crashes every time I try to launch it though. Windows closes the program and gives me the following message:

"Age of Empires 3 has stopped working
A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

It gives me the same message whether I launch through Steam or through the .exe file directly in compatibility mode as an administrator. I have the latest version of DirectX as well. I already tried reinstalling, and when I verify integrity of game cache it just tells me one file failed to verify. This wouldn't be a problem, except every time I try to create an account in the expansions it says "Failed to create account." I read on a forum that accounts can only be created in the main version of the game. Does anyone know of a way to fix this or how to at least create an account without launching the game?
Canada _NiceKING_
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: _NiceKING_
GameRanger ID: 9999999
Clan: Xbox

Re: Age of Empires III: Complete Collection won't launch so I can't create an ESO account

Post by _NiceKING_ »

Right click on AoE3.exe and click Troubleshoot Compatibility->Try Recommended Settings ->Start The Program. When it starts it may get fixed, then click finish.
Crossbow

Re: Age of Empires III: Complete Collection won't launch so I can't create an ESO account

Post by big_bhowl »

_NiceKING_ wrote:Right click on AoE3.exe and click Troubleshoot Compatibility->Try Recommended Settings ->Start The Program. When it starts it may get fixed, then click finish.

I've tried that as well and it didn't work. Tried it again just now and it still didn't work.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Have you tried looking in the install directory? There's direct exes in there (age3.exe for the main game without expansions, age3x.exe for the main game + the war chiefs and age3y.exe for the main game plus both expansions) which I use. Those should be located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Age Of Empires 3\bin
Crossbow

Post by big_bhowl »

Jerom wrote:Have you tried looking in the install directory? There's direct exes in there (age3.exe for the main game without expansions, age3x.exe for the main game + the war chiefs and age3y.exe for the main game plus both expansions) which I use. Those should be located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Age Of Empires 3\bin

Yeah those are the files I was talking about running as administrator. Age3x.exe and age3y.exe both work but age3.exe crashes immediately no matter what.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Have you considered reinstalling?
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Jerom wrote:Have you considered reinstalling?

Try reading the OP before commenting.

On topic: I have no idea what your problem might be. @Buckethead
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

I just found a possible solution. Some people claim updating the NVIDIA graphics driver fixed it, or for some uninstalling the driver fixed it.
momuuu wrote: theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
Crossbow

Post by big_bhowl »

Jerom wrote:Have you considered reinstalling?

I've already reinstalled and nothing changed
Crossbow

Post by big_bhowl »

EAGLEMUT wrote:I just found a possible solution. Some people claim updating the NVIDIA graphics driver fixed it, or for some uninstalling the driver fixed it.

Just updated and nothing changed. Do you know how to uninstall the driver? I don't see the option in the GeForce Experience window.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Well I guess if you know anyone you trust he could help you creating an account.
Crossbow

Post by big_bhowl »

Jerom wrote:Well I guess if you know anyone you trust he could help you creating an account.

I guess that's true. If I bought and installed AoE1 on my brother's computer would I be able to create an account that could be used in AoE3?
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

big_bhowl wrote:
Jerom wrote:Well I guess if you know anyone you trust he could help you creating an account.

I guess that's true. If I bought and installed AoE1 on my brother's computer would I be able to create an account that could be used in AoE3?

Well you need to install aoe3 to make an account. I suppose if you get it working on a computer once and make an account, then your set for life so to say.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05

Post by EAGLEMUT »

big_bhowl wrote:
EAGLEMUT wrote:I just found a possible solution. Some people claim updating the NVIDIA graphics driver fixed it, or for some uninstalling the driver fixed it.

Just updated and nothing changed. Do you know how to uninstall the driver? I don't see the option in the GeForce Experience window.

You'd uninstall the whole thing from control panel.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05

Post by EAGLEMUT »

Have you managed to solve this problem somehow?
If so, I'd like to know so I can advise others.
If not, I could offer to create your account for you myself. Send me a private message here or on reddit if you want and we can set it up.
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor
ESO: Octanium

Post by Ashvin »

big_bhowl wrote:

press "Win+x" >> Device Manager >> Display Adapter>> right-click the driver hit "Uninstall"