cpu usage too high , is there anything i can do ?

Portugal sergyou
Lancer

cpu usage too high , is there anything i can do ?

Post by sergyou »

So whenever i play my cpu usage goes to 99-100% and so my fps drop alot i play around 12 to 30 fps wich sucks the game doesnt run smoothly and i don't play very well. i want to know why does this happen and is there a solution for it that doesnt require to substitute hardware . Thanks
Switzerland sebnan12
Jaeger
ESO: Mongobillione

Re: cpu usage too high , is there anything i can do ?

Post by sebnan12 »

ruhan aka clavier and dynamicfire knows alot about cpus
"Why are you trying to lecture me on my own language, no wonder you people shit in the open street."- Riotcoke

''man he's slow rolling him more than a fish on a royal flush'' - Garja

NEED MORE XP
Germany Lukas_L99
Pro Player
Donator 01
ESO: Lukas_L99

Post by Lukas_L99 »

Looks like your PC is just super trash dude!
Great Britain InsectPoison
Lancer

Post by InsectPoison »

Enter the task manager , go to processes tabs and try and close anything that takes too much cpu usage. Also make sure you don't have anything running in the background when you are playing.
Canada _NiceKING_
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: _NiceKING_
GameRanger ID: 9999999
Clan: Xbox

Post by _NiceKING_ »

Is your PC overheating? It may very well be the cause.

PS. you shouldve created the thread in AoE3 Tech Support cuz Off Topic threads do not show up in active threads on the main page of the website.
United States of America Metis
Howdah

Post by Metis »

Remember that this is a relatively old game, circa 2005. AOE III uses just three cores of a modern processor. I've run it with no problems on an old AMD Athlon 64 with a Geforce 9600, albeit on lowest graphics settings.

That said, if you have a netbook or an older model laptop then you may have difficulty running the game. Usually the processor per se is OK but here the graphics may be lacking. Remember that many portable devices use the CPU's power to process graphics information. Trying to run a 3-D game, even an old one, on them will max CPU usage. Lower your graphics to the absolute minimum settings and see if this doesn't speed things up.

If you still have high CPU usage with low graphics settings, then take a look at this and see if you can't find what is using your processing power.

http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-High-CPU-Usage

Also, remember that your Internet connection can cause lag. If you are on a home network try setting your gaming computer to the highest priority in your router's quality control settings. This will help prevent things like tablets and phones that are sharing the network from slowing the gaming computer's connection too much.

What is the make and model of your computer?
Portugal sergyou
Lancer

Post by sergyou »

my cpu is a i5-4200
Portugal sergyou
Lancer

Post by sergyou »

_NiceKING_ wrote:Is your PC overheating? It may very well be the cause.

PS. you shouldve created the thread in AoE3 Tech Support cuz Off Topic threads do not show up in active threads on the main page of the website.

nah i don't think it is overheating
Howdah

Post by Metis »

sergyou wrote:my cpu is a i5-4200

The i5-4200 is a processor with integrated graphics. AOE III should "just run" under this processor, if you have the proper video settings. It seems like people have been only getting about 20-30 frames per second though. Simply put, a mobile computer with only on-chip graphics is just not a gaming computer. Some laptops have an additional AMD processor for enhanced graphics. Once again, the make and model of your computer is needed for more detailed advice.
Niue Le Dragon
Dragoon

Post by Le Dragon »

I had this problem before and it was because of bloat ware on my PC. I managed to get rid of it by deleting the system32 folder.
Howdah

Post by Metis »

Le Dragon wrote:I had this problem before and it was because of bloat ware on my PC. I managed to get rid of it by deleting the system32 folder.

Don't listen to the idiot quoted above. Windows System32 contains core system and boot files. Deleting the system32 folder will result in your computer system crashing and then being unable to boot until Windows is re-installed.
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor
ESO: Octanium

Post by Ashvin »

With the information you give, I'd suggest you to play game on minimum graphics setting and ending all unwanted programs and jobs running (background+foreground). I remember the times when I would have PentiumIII I'd do just as same. :smile:
Niue Le Dragon
Dragoon

Post by Le Dragon »

Metis wrote:
Le Dragon wrote:I had this problem before and it was because of bloat ware on my PC. I managed to get rid of it by deleting the system32 folder.

Don't listen to the idiot quoted above. Windows System32 contains core system and boot files. Deleting the system32 folder will result in your computer system crashing and then being unable to boot until Windows is re-installed.
I don't know what you're talking about. I deleted it and my computer looks fine. I'm typing this from my phone now.