how to fix lag from fps drop?

No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

how to fix lag from fps drop?

Post by deleted_user0 »

recently ive been having weird lag and its not caused by internet, but it seems to be caused by dropping frames. I tried to update my driver, but the newest driver sux and causes my cpu to go through the roof. So i reverted to 3nd newest version, which didnt seem to change anything to the 2nd newest version. So now im back to the driver i was on before, the 2nd newest version, which runs smoothly with other stuff, but somehow causes trouble with aoe3.

specs:

Intel Quadcore Q8300 2,5 Ghz
nvidia gforce GT 630
8 gb ram
Palestine Mimsy for President
Jaeger

Re: how to fix lag from fps drop?

Post by Mimsy for President »

Have you by any chance disabled v-sync, not ingame but in the nvidia panel?
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

no idea. where can i find that option?

and should it be on or off?
Jaeger

control panel
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

it was on auto option. should i turn it on or off?
Jaeger

if it's auto, it means it's enabled and it should be ok. Turn it on, if you really want to be sure.
United States of America illusioNtEk
Skirmisher
ESO: illusioNtEk

Post by illusioNtEk »

go to control panel, power options, make sure you have it set to high performance and not balance or power saver
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

ye its set to otpimal performance
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

i put triple buffering on and also vsynch, but doesnt really seem to change anything. :(

i start out at 250 fps and all is fine, but then it starts to go down to 100 and when it drops below that i seem to get these weird lags.

its also bad when i select new homecity for first time or stuff liek that
Brazil Buckethead
Retired Contributor

Post by Buckethead »

I play on Pentium Dual Core E5700, GeForce 9400 GT and 4 GB Ram and I have 60 fps constantly :hmm:

Go to: Documents\My Games\Age of Empires 3\Startup
Open the file 'user.cfg' , create a new line and paste it: hideparticles
This should improve fps in battles (less fps drop)

The homecity lag is normal.
Canada _NiceKING_
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: _NiceKING_
GameRanger ID: 9999999
Clan: Xbox

Post by _NiceKING_ »

afaik there are some problems that may happen because of "hide particles" feature, namely "unable to allocate memory error". As dicktator said somewhere this feature causes the game to accumulate memory much more quickly. But this error may happen only in long games like treaty, so I don't think it's gonna be a problem for you.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

It is not v-sync (cause your fps is not capped at your monitor refresh rate which something like 60). Do not enable v-sync unless you have graphic glitches (which you shouldn't). You can also disable the triple buffering since it is not needed.

If you changed your driver recently it is very possible that the game will act slightly different from the past, because of how the GPU is tasked to work on it. Often it changes in better (it did for me with latest driver) but sometimes it is not.

Anyway go in this order:

1) Check your PC temps. Get a tool that reads the temps like this and be sure your temps are always under the downcloacking threshold for your CPU and GPU (you should check those max temps on intel and nvidia sites but generally it is aound 90° C). On a desktop PC you're not supposed to get anywhere close to those max temps, so if that's the case you must have lot of dust to clean (and might as well change the thermal compound now that you're at it).

2) If temps are ok you want to check the nvdia setting for the age3f.exe program (EP) and be sure they are the same you used before (the same as the ones you have for the age3y.exe which is the RE patch exe). If you have any doubt just click on restore default and tweak from there, testing in game after every change. Use this for a comprehensive guide for the nvidia control panel.

From my personal experience for AOE3 the most relevant settings are Texture Filtering - Quality, Maximum Pre-Rendered Frames and Power Management Mode.
The first one is a generic option to decide whether your prefer quality (nice graphic) or performance (more fps). However, your GPU should actually benefit from the "high quality" setting here since it forces the game to use the GPU more rather than the CPU which is better.
The second one can make a difference in the input lag (mouse and kb). The higher the more fps you will have. However it also greatly increases the chance that in big battles your mouse will lag causing you to not being able to draw boxes or giving commands. I have it set to 1.
The last one should be on maximum performance just to be sure that you use all your GPU power. However the last series of nvidia drivers have this "optimal power" option that basically is meant to be a power saving / max performance intelligent hybrid but that in fact seems to works better than max performance (atleast for me). I'd try that if you have the last driver installed.
Image Image Image
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Ye it could be heat, since the problems kinda coincide with a heatwave in europe. And its been a few months since i last cleaned the pc inside.

I didnt change any settings or drivers till after i experienced these problems, and the changes made no difference.

I uninstalled the latest driver cause it made my cpu spike up to 90% when playing aoe and running chrome. While on the previous driver it would sit comfortably between 40-60% while doing the same
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player
EWTNWC LAN SilverAdvanced Division WinnerDonator 01

Post by lordraphael »

umeu wrote:Ye it could be heat, since the problems kinda coincide with a heatwave in europe. And its been a few months since i last cleaned the pc inside.

I didnt change any settings or drivers till after i experienced these problems, and the changes made no difference.

I uninstalled the latest driver cause it made my cpu spike up to 90% when playing aoe and running chrome. While on the previous driver it would sit comfortably between 40-60% while doing the same

almost impossible its heat related if it only occurs in aoe 3. That game doesnt exactly needs the best specs to be played. So i doubt your CPU /Gpu ,even if completly dusted, would throttle while playing aoe. But cleaning up your pc is never wrong i guess.
breeze wrote: they cant even guess how much f***ing piece of stupid retarded they look they are trying to give lesson to people who are over pr35 and know the best mu. im pretty sure that we need a page that only pr30+ post and then we could have a nice discussins.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Well, im not playing other games at the moment, and just chrome is unlikely to tax the graphics card enough to overheat. Next week should be much cooler, so ill see if it makes a difference
United States of America noissance
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: noissance

Post by noissance »

Is there a way to fix the fps drops with hardware newer than the game?
Specs: intel i7 5820k
Geforce gtx 980 ti in sli
16 GB DDR4

Would getting more ram up this?

Im getting only like 60-70 fps in cannon wars, but my monitor is a 144 hz monitor, so it looks really odd.
Error 404: Signature not found
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

Pay more attention to detail.
United States of America noissance
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: noissance

Post by noissance »

Gendarme wrote:Yes, it would. https://downloadmoreram.com/

That website is fake, you cant download ram. I'm asking if adding more ram will prevent fps drops.
Error 404: Signature not found
France Rikikipu
Retired Contributor
ESO: p-of

Post by Rikikipu »

Lol no way you are only at 60 fps with that spec