downgrade in resolution

Belgium Generaal_DP
Crossbow
ESO: Generaal_DP

downgrade in resolution

Post by Generaal_DP »

Hi folks

After installing the last windows update, my game downgraded in resolution, from 1080p to 720p. Everything seems blurry now and ofcourse that's not fun playing. I tried to change the settings ingame (single + multiplayer ingame) back to 1080p, but when i do that, the game automatically reset itself to 720p.

Can someone help me out plz to get it back to full hd? I had the same problem years ago, but don't know anymore how i fixed that. I thought in windows or something changing the settings.

Thanks already!

Regards

Dieter aka general
█║▌│█│║▌║││█║▌│║║█║
©Copyright 2016.™ All Rights Reserved
Kyrgyzstan AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE
Lancer
ESO: dats my secret

Re: downgrade in resolution

Post by AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE »

Hey,

if you dont have win10 installed, dont read this, save your time and do sth more fun.

if you are on win10, one of the following things might help you, generally speaking the win10 anniversary upgrade caused a lot of problems
in many games for many people, i had horrible fps drops in various games from like 70-80 fps down to 10-15 (even after updating drivers and everything..), so i went back to the older version of win10, if u want to do so, you should do it fast, cause microsoft only let you go back to an older version of win10 the first 10 days after the upgrade.. (because, you know, microsoft obviously knows better whats good for you than yourself...)

..that win10 doesnt let you change resolutions ingame in aoe3 is a known problem, i had it myself, solved the problem by activating ''disable display scaling on high DPI settings'' right click on the aoe3launcher.exe / properties / compatibility (u might need administrator rights for that..), that problem already got discussed here:
viewtopic.php?f=65&t=6302&p=143338&hilit=resolution#p143338

..another known problem is that with the newest win10 update ''Game DVR'' is now permanently activated in the xbow app, which is sadly integrated in win10 in a way that you can not just deinstall this app. anyway activated ''Game DVR'' apparently causes FPS caps on some games and other stuff, deactivating it helped me with some issues i had with some games (before i went back to an older win10 version).
---> ''search windows'' for xbox app, go to settings, Game DVR and deactivate it, unless you are the one person on this planet who is actually using it.

I hoped that helped you, i did not have the anniversary update installed for long enough to see if it causes problems with aoe3 for me..
Belgium Generaal_DP
Crossbow
ESO: Generaal_DP

Post by Generaal_DP »

Hi AOEisLOVE_AOEisLife (nice name btw :D)

Thank you so much man, with the activating display scaling in the task manager i was able to solve the problem! Alot gratitude for this!

I indeed have the w10 anniversary upgrade, but i had it also on w8.1. I think i did it the same way then, after weeks of searching the www. I'm really glad it's solved lol, that was really eyehurting ;). Again, many many thanks for this!

Imho w10 anniversary upgrade has also some advantages, but indeed alot of disadvantages aswell. A week ago windows gave a big patch/update for the anniversary edition, with some big changes in windows (different menue etc). The pc had to restart several times to complete this update, so i think it's cause of that that it maybe resetted the ingame settings. When i installed W8.1 on the pc a year ago, the same issue apeared, but i didn't knew much better then so i played a few months on 720p with a 1080p screen...

Anyway, this helped me alot, thank you for helping me out :).
█║▌│█│║▌║││█║▌│║║█║
©Copyright 2016.™ All Rights Reserved
Kyrgyzstan AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE
Lancer
ESO: dats my secret

Post by AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE »

you're welcome.

@iNcog maybe you can add this problem/solution to your badass FAQ thread, i know 3 ppl who had problems with the resolution resetting on win10 in aoe3, and it seems quite easy to solve this problem, so ppl dont have to make threads about it again.. and nobody wants poor souls suffering from low resolutions in beautiful aoe3..
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

updated the FAQ

I forgot it was even there. thanks for the head's up
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.