Age of empires complete collection issues opening

No Flag TP0G
Crossbow

Age of empires complete collection issues opening

Post by TP0G »

I desperately need help with this issue, I've been trying to solve it for at least 6 hours.
I bought the complete collection in the steam sale but i cannot open the age of empires complete collection. I can open the asian dynasties and warchiefs expansions perfectly fine, but can't create an eso account on them to play multiplayer. Upon trying to open the complete edition, a small box saying something about first time startup pops up for a fraction of a second, then disappears and nothing happens. Thats when running in administrator mode. When not running steam as an administrator, I am asked to enter an administrator password twice, then a box saying 'age of empires has stopped working' pops up. I am running all the age_ files (e.g. age3, age3x, age3y) in compatibility mode for xp 3 service pack. I have directx installed and activated. I have net.framework installed. My drivers are up to date. I have redownloaded and reinstalled the game once already in an attempt to fix this. When verifying the game files through steam, it says one file needs replacing, but it does nothing and verifying again gives the same result.
Any help is appreciated.
France iNcog
Ninja

Re: Age of empires complete collection issues opening

Post by iNcog »

are you using windows XP?

normally you say "accept" twice for that small pop up, not sure why it would disappear. can you run age3.exe directly or not?
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote: ↑
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
No Flag TP0G
Crossbow

Post by TP0G »

iNcog wrote:are you using windows XP?

normally you say "accept" twice for that small pop up, not sure why it would disappear. can you run age3.exe directly or not?

Im on windows 10.
I cannot get age3.exe to run. When I find it in local files, the exact same thing happens as when I click play on the complete collection in steam library.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

i'm stumped

sounds like it's an issue with the admin permissions but i'm not sure how to solve that

here are my permissions, if it helps (it's the same between admin and users): http://i.imgur.com/tk65nTq.png

but i'm still not sure if that helps. especially strange is that age3y.exe and age3x.exe work? but not age3.exe
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
No Flag TP0G
Crossbow

Post by TP0G »

iNcog wrote:i'm stumped

sounds like it's an issue with the admin permissions but i'm not sure how to solve that

here are my permissions, if it helps (it's the same between admin and users): http://i.imgur.com/tk65nTq.png

but i'm still not sure if that helps. especially strange is that age3y.exe and age3x.exe work? but not age3.exe

Yeah its super weird. When I open age3.exe straight from the folder it stops working instantly but age3x and y work fine. What are the application package permissions you have there? I dont have them only the permissions for system, users and admins
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

i downloaded winaero which allows me to completely disable window's UAC

however other people don't do what I do (also I doubt you'd do it given that you actually have an admin pw) and they aren't running into your issues either

i'm not sure what the problem is and am sorry that i can't be of more help. it is quite strange that only the age3exe is bothering you though.
No Flag TP0G
Crossbow

Post by TP0G »

iNcog wrote:i downloaded winaero which allows me to completely disable window's UAC

however other people don't do what I do (also I doubt you'd do it given that you actually have an admin pw) and they aren't running into your issues either

i'm not sure what the problem is and am sorry that i can't be of more help. it is quite strange that only the age3exe is bothering you though.

Thanks for the help anyway!
No Flag TP0G
Crossbow

Post by TP0G »

_NiceKING_ wrote:Maybe mxsml is missing?
Try to install this one https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/downloa ... x?id=15697

Didn't change anything unfortunately :/
No Flag TP0G
Crossbow

Post by TP0G »

_NiceKING_ wrote:Have you tried these solutions? http://windowsreport.com/age-of-empires-3-windows-10/

Yes I have all the age_.exe files running in compatability mode and have directx installed.
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor
ESO: Octanium

Post by Ashvin »

I think you should uninstall it> delete all the registries of it (use regcleanr or ccleaner)> install again. It should work provided you have all the necessary packages required to run it.
No Flag TP0G
Crossbow

Post by TP0G »

Octanium wrote:I think you should uninstall it> delete all the registries of it (use regcleanr or ccleaner)> install again. It should work provided you have all the necessary packages required to run it.

Ill look into doing that tomorrow its pretty late where I live. Also, when I was looking through programs and features on windows, it appears I have 4 applications relating to msxml, 2 that were installed in 2010 at the same time called MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB[insert string of random numbers here]), 1 installed earlier this year called MSXML 4.0 SP2 Parser and SDK, and 1 I installed yesterday while trying to fix this issue called MSXML 4.0 SP3 Parser. I know MSXML is related to age of empires in some way, could these things be conflicting or something to cause a crash? I dont have a clue how any of this sh*t works so forgive me if I'm talking rubbish.
No Flag Green
Crossbow
ESO: NONE

Post by Green »

Question do you use Admin user on windows or just regular non admin user on win10?

I fixed the problem today by log into admin user on windows and launch the game directly from the folder, without chaning anything in the exe file itself, not even compatibility mode was changed.
st
No Flag TP0G
Crossbow

Post by TP0G »

Green wrote:Question do you use Admin user on windows or just regular non admin user on win10?

I fixed the problem today by log into admin user on windows and launch the game directly from the folder, without chaning anything in the exe file itself, not even compatibility mode was changed.
st

You're a god dude. You just saved me.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

TP0G wrote:
Green wrote:Question do you use Admin user on windows or just regular non admin user on win10?

st

Great stuff, thanks @Green

enjoy the game ^^
No Flag TP0G
Crossbow

Post by TP0G »

iNcog wrote:
TP0G wrote:

st

Great stuff, thanks @Green

enjoy the game ^^

I will :)
No Flag Green
Crossbow
ESO: NONE

Post by Green »

TP0G wrote:

st

Nice to see you also managed to fix the problem^^