Thoughts on explorer multiplier vs native warriors

United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Re: Thoughts on explorer multiplier vs native warriors

Post by Papist »

AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE wrote:removing any possible random event like a good treasure that gives an advantage for one player doesnt seem like a way to make this game more fun, but idc anyway. is there any tournament stream/video/replay where a native warrior actually prevented a FB ? i would like to watch that..

The problem with competitive gaming is that it values balance over entertainment. Anything that disrupts a cookie cutter build is "broken" and needs to be removed. I would not be at all surprised to see this change get implemented, or for treasures to be removed all together. Who cares if the game is boring and the meta is stale as long as everything is "balanced"?
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
Tunisia iLolicon
Musketeer
ESO: iLolicon

Post by iLolicon »

Tfw you have to agree with umeu... But he's right all treasures are just luck in general.
=
Kyrgyzstan AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE
Lancer
ESO: dats my secret

Post by AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE »

Papist wrote: Who cares if the game is boring and the meta is stale as long as everything is "balanced"?

i do :) im bored of generic brit mirrors, fought by apm whores who are all about to get them 5 musk 3 seconds out earlier than the opponent on the same maps and who agree on not playing water, just because there is no clear established meta and it requires on-the-spot strategical decision making, which was the first reason i fell in love with RTS anyway, im off to watch some aiz..
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Papist wrote:The problem with competitive gaming is that it values balance over entertainment. Anything that disrupts a cookie cutter build is "broken" and needs to be removed. I would not be at all surprised to see this change get implemented, or for treasures to be removed all together. Who cares if the game is boring and the meta is stale as long as everything is "balanced"?

What are you referring to here? Where did you see this kind of changes?
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by Papist »

Kaiserklein wrote:
Papist wrote:The problem with competitive gaming is that it values balance over entertainment. Anything that disrupts a cookie cutter build is "broken" and needs to be removed. I would not be at all surprised to see this change get implemented, or for treasures to be removed all together. Who cares if the game is boring and the meta is stale as long as everything is "balanced"?

What are you referring to here? Where did you see this kind of changes?

I was referring to the change OP proposed, and the thinking behind it.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Papist wrote:
AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE wrote:removing any possible random event like a good treasure that gives an advantage for one player doesnt seem like a way to make this game more fun, but idc anyway. is there any tournament stream/video/replay where a native warrior actually prevented a FB ? i would like to watch that..

The problem with competitive gaming is that it values balance over entertainment. Anything that disrupts a cookie cutter build is "broken" and needs to be removed. I would not be at all surprised to see this change get implemented, or for treasures to be removed all together. Who cares if the game is boring and the meta is stale as long as everything is "balanced"?

well, balance is mostly reducing the effect of random features and the odds being stacked into one's favor due to unfair advantages. Games where such balance doesn't exist, may indeed be very fun. But in that sense, entertainment and competitiveness are mutually exclusive. That's why we have world championships in chess, but not in monopoly. although you can easily argue that the latter is by far more entertaining. if you can be entertained by the creativity and wits people use to best each other on a level playing field, then there is no reason to think that more balance equals less entertainment.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

There are competitive monopoly tourneys. Entertainment and competitiveness are not mutually exclusive nor are luck and competitiveness.
Image Image Image
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Papist wrote:I was referring to the change OP proposed, and the thinking behind it.

Ok, thought you meant the ESOC patch changes, was curious
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
European Union Asateo
Dragoon
ESO: Asateo

Post by Asateo »

Garja wrote:There are competitive monopoly tourneys.

This actually exists. :lol: I had to google it to believe it. :P
To see a world in a grain of saind, A heaven in a wild flower
Hold infinity in the palm of you hand, And eternity in an hour
- William Blake, Auguries of Innocence
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by Papist »

Asateo wrote:
Garja wrote:There are competitive monopoly tourneys.

This actually exists. :lol: I had to google it to believe it. :P

Does this surprise you? People can make anything competitive.

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/7/4/15918 ... y-chestnut
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

well monopoly is far from being a non compettive game
Image Image Image
France bwinner
Howdah
Donator 01
ESO: bwinner

Post by bwinner »

Garja wrote:well monopoly is far from being a non compettive game

Monopoly is like 80%+ about luck so that's a bit stupid...
However I think there is crazier championships so that's fine
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

It is probably not that much of luck. Anyway hold em is like 40% luck and still is competitive.
Image Image Image
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

Papist wrote:

Youre just sad you cant oos on ep