What the patch notes for EP 3.0 should've been

No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Re: What the patch notes for EP 3.0 should've been

Post by kami_ryu »

pecelot wrote:Yes, Boneng has like 5 APM :hmm:

kami_ryu wrote:Yes but it takes at least PR36 to lose minimal assets so that balance changes are relevant to the course of the game. All I'm saying. Balance changes matter very, very little if you're under PR36 which is the only thing I've been arguing this time.

Ports got a 5f change per villager this patch. By the time you produce 20 villagers (what is that? ~7-8 minutes into the game?) that amounts to a blistering 100f. When you've made 40 villagers, 15 minutes into the game, then that amounts to 200f. That's 2 infantry units or 1 cavalry unit, at the 15 minute mark. I'm not even sure if that matters at PR40.

This is why, upon my soapbox I shall stand and say that balance is meaningless, for most of us suck too hard at the game for them to mean much. Maybe the Sioux or Otto changes are big enough for them to have effect at lower level play though. Those are big changes, I guess, but I haven't played either civ so I have no idea.

The initial change is –20 food on each vill, though — that's way more significant.

Sure. Let's say for the sake of discussion that we're talking about 100f vills vs 80f vills. I'll attach a replay to illustrate my point. I'm about a Lt-Captain level player, Ward is PR33+.

At 15 minutes into the game, Ward has 42 villagers. I think I probably killed some, so let's just say I killed 3 or 4 villagers or something. Let's say that at the 15 minute mark, Ward had produced 45-7=38 villagers.

Assuming that we boosted Ports from RE to EP, in this game ward would have saved up, at the 15 minute mark, 38x20 = 760f

We can say that this is a pretty substantial boost honestly, it's about equivalent to getting a free colonial shipment at the 15 minute mark.

The thing is, the match up is lopsided, Ward is a much better player than I am. At this point, even though Ward has a 760f handicap at that 15 minute mark, he is the better player and has more than made up for it at that point in the game. The lower player, myself, has bled off units (due to poor play, execution, etc.) much more than 760f in that 15 minute time span.

In other words, I am playing so sub-optimally that I would never be able to take advantage of the balance change in the first place. This match-up isn't even supposed to be even on RE. Ward himself also missed a few production cycles.

At this point, it becomes obvious that whether Port had 80f vills or 100f vills, the influence it has on the game itself is pretty much nullified, just due to the fact that the play is so poorly optimized. It's really easy to lose resources too. A bad raid you miss, a bad rally point, a positioning error, will influence the game much more than Ports going from 100f to 80f vills. At a HIGH level, however, players are much more crisp in their execution, so the influence of balance changes are much more felt.

Underneath PR36 (a fairly arbitrary line, I agree), I really feel that balance is just placebo for most players. I could queue my India versus a top player's Ports on RE, the top player would still win easily, regardless of balance. Thus it is senseless for me to argue that balance has any substantial effect on my play. Whether I'm playing bottom civ or top civ, I'm just a captain and the civ I pick doesn't realistically matter, I'm playing too poorly for that to matter in the first place.

Not in absolute terms obviously. Buffing Ports should logically make my Ports stronger on EP than on RE (in absolute terms, EP ports are stronger), but in all honesty I don't think there's a realistic difference in power between my EP Ports and RE Ports.
Attachments
[RE SP] kami_ryu[BR] vs Ward_V[PT] - California.age3yrec
(552.5 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
California
California
Rules: Supremacy (1v1)
Version: Official Patch (Legacy)
Length: 22 minutes
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Ward is noodlbar, who is closer to pr 38 than 33
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

But that still matters. 20-food discount may not seem so significant, though over time it adds up, making your build much more fluent in almost every area. Now imagine 2 cav-semi-FFs battling each other — EP France vs EP Germany. The former will be a bit slower in his push due to 100 food less at the start, which directly translates into a 14-CDB age-up. The uhlans' HP nerf for the latter will obviously matter, too. It's not that hard to not fck up everything when going for such a build: you can have a proper villager distribution, card order, finishing batches etc. The uhlan nerf will most likely play its role and the German player can be on the back foot for the rest of the game.
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player
EWTNWC LAN SilverAdvanced Division WinnerDonator 01

Post by lordraphael »

pecelot wrote:But that still matters. 20-food discount may not seem so significant, though over time it adds up, making your build much more fluent in almost every area. Now imagine 2 cav-semi-FFs battling each other — EP France vs EP Germany. The former will be a bit slower in his push due to 100 food less at the start, which directly translates into a 14-CDB age-up. The uhlans' HP nerf for the latter will obviously matter, too. It's not that hard to not fck up everything when going for such a build: you can have a proper villager distribution, card order, finishing batches etc. The uhlan nerf will most likely play its role and the German player can be on the back foot for the rest of the game.

20 f reduction is 20 % if that isnt significant .....
breeze wrote: they cant even guess how much f***ing piece of stupid retarded they look they are trying to give lesson to people who are over pr35 and know the best mu. im pretty sure that we need a page that only pr30+ post and then we could have a nice discussins.
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

pecelot wrote:But that still matters. 20-food discount may not seem so significant, though over time it adds up, making your build much more fluent in almost every area. Now imagine 2 cav-semi-FFs battling each other — EP France vs EP Germany. The former will be a bit slower in his push due to 100 food less at the start, which directly translates into a 14-CDB age-up. The uhlans' HP nerf for the latter will obviously matter, too. It's not that hard to not fck up everything when going for such a build: you can have a proper villager distribution, card order, finishing batches etc. The uhlan nerf will most likely play its role and the German player can be on the back foot for the rest of the game.

Of course it's significant and of course it matters.

For high level players. :D lol

Remember that the only thing I'm arguing at all is that lower level players are so sloppy that all but the most drastic (Port change is certainly big) changes influence the actual outcome of the game very little.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

The point Im trying to make is that they not that sloppy for the balance to not matter. Of course their gameplay isn't flawless, though different changes affect the outcome of their matches — to a smaller or greater extent :!:
United States of America __Uhlan__
Dragoon
ESO: __UhLaN__

Post by __Uhlan__ »

yea your point makes sense @kami_ryu but even if you play sloppy you are also saving the 760f no matter which way you twist it. The change matters it makes your sloppy play better and a pro players flawless play better. If that makes any sense. But yea a pro player could probably win any matchup v any captain almost 95% of the time decides on map screws or something. So I get what your saying but buffs are buffs to all level of play.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

pecelot wrote:The point Im trying to make is that they not that sloppy for the balance to not matter. Of course their gameplay isn't flawless, though different changes affect the outcome of their matches — to a smaller or greater extent :!:

Yesh :chinese:

User was warned for this post.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Balancing the game at low level makes no sense, because the players make too many mistakes to let us balance the game. But it doesnt mean that changing the balance for high level doesnt affect lower levels also.
For example, you cant decide on the cost of the vils for port after watching lieuts play ports. But giving lieuts 80f vils will of course still give them a huge boost
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

kami_ryu wrote:Underneath PR36 (a fairly arbitrary line, I agree), I really feel that balance is just placebo for most players

idk, I think you underestimate the impact of some changes. I Think the more subtle ones only affect at high level, but dutch/port on re vs ep feels significantly different even for me.

Recently I played a few games dutch vs brit, on re and ep against the same friend, and My build was very notably smoother and faster in ep due to free wood+xp. (im not a 36 :P )
Brazil macacoalbino
Howdah
ESO: MacacoAlbino
Clan: 3Huss

Post by macacoalbino »

The dutch change last patch was meant to make dutch builds smoother... But i dont know if the next patch will make a big difference since (at least for me) the biggest impact from last itterarion pf the patch was the xp buff that speeds up the build quite a lot compared to re patch

United States of America Darwin_
Howdah

Post by Darwin_ »

Kaiserklein wrote:Balancing the game at low level makes no sense, because the players make too many mistakes to let us balance the game. But it doesnt mean that changing the balance for high level doesnt affect lower levels also.
For example, you cant decide on the cost of the vils for port after watching lieuts play ports. But giving lieuts 80f vils will of course still give them a huge boost

Perfectly said.
somppukunkku wrote:This is not a fucking discogame.
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

It will give a boost for sure, I just believe said boost is overrated. However at this point, agree to disagree, since we're pretty much all on the same page, we just don't agree to "how much" the boost affects low level play. I say low, some say medium, others say very high.

I personally won't take balance considerations in mind until I level up. :D
Hungary Dsy
Lancer

Post by Dsy »

Actually there are many changes which would improve gameplay and its balance effect would be minimal or zero.
And i have to say that bringing "best" players to the "idea" team isnt always a good solution. I played quite few games top levels. I saw lot of good players in other games. There is one point usually in all top players: they vote down any changes or say "these changes are terrible i quit cause of them". You cant really improve the game without changeing somthing in it...
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03

Post by pecelot »

Kaiserklein wrote:Balancing the game at low level makes no sense, because the players make too many mistakes to let us balance the game. But it doesnt mean that changing the balance for high level doesnt affect lower levels also.

I agree, though I'm not sure why you brought up the first sentence, which no one mentioned :hmm:
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

kami_ryu wrote:It will give a boost for sure, I just believe said boost is overrated. However at this point, agree to disagree, since we're pretty much all on the same page, we just don't agree to "how much" the boost affects low level play. I say low, some say medium, others say very high.

Its not that the balance is exactly the same for lower level players but its ridiculous to claim that the balance changes dont affect medium level of play.

Imagine youre port mirroring a kami clone, one of you plays re ports and the other ep ports. Id argue that the one playing ep ports would have a winrate that is significantly higher so the balance changes have an effect.
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

Ep 3.0 ports EleGiggle
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Jerom wrote:
kami_ryu wrote:It will give a boost for sure, I just believe said boost is overrated. However at this point, agree to disagree, since we're pretty much all on the same page, we just don't agree to "how much" the boost affects low level play. I say low, some say medium, others say very high.

Its not that the balance is exactly the same for lower level players but its ridiculous to claim that the balance changes dont affect medium level of play.

Imagine youre port mirroring a kami clone, one of you plays re ports and the other ep ports. Id argue that the one playing ep ports would have a winrate that is significantly higher so the balance changes have an effect.
Sometimes I get the feeling you don't read the posts you reply to.
It will give a boost for sure, I just believe said boost is overrated.
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

Nice bump, I'll take it.