Smurfs

Australia Gear_Head
Skirmisher
Donator 01
ESO: Gear_Head

Re: Smurfs

Post by Gear_Head »

Darwin_ wrote:I think a distinction should be drawn between having multiple accounts and smurfing. Smurfing implies having an intentionally lower PR or elo for the purpose of being able to play worse opponents. Having multiple accounts mean that you either want to hide your identity to have an unbiased game or that you want to have a second account which you use for QS and playing random games and not have to care about PR. I am personally okay with having multiple accounts, but smurfing can be bad if done in a certain way.

Agree 100%

gustavusadolphus wrote:
What I meant is that the pr 30 people will have to be on there a game all the time creating a situation where they must always play their pr instead of slacking off and getting upset when they lose.

Yeah, I can empathize some with the desire to just play a game (any game) and the fact that there are so few people around your rank to play with. I still think you should be able to get games with lower ranks; I think a bit of honesty would go a long ways though in making things more enjoyable for all parties. Even if you're on your smurf, tell them you're on an alt and you're actually Lt Col or w/e rank you are before you green up. Once the element of surprise is gone, you might be surprised how many will take the challenge anyways. It kills any animousity from the whole smurf situation as soon as you put that out in the open.

Edit: Wow, I re-read your post and realized I couldn't have misinterpreted it more. My bad. You're referring to PR30's playing PR30's but thinking they are playing PR25's? I suppose a similar principle applies. If host tries a troll strategy or lesser civ in order to "balance" the perceived matchup, then smurfing has once again negatively impacted the game. In the case where someone plays a decent civ and strat and still loses because they slacked off, that's a different story and their own problem entirely assuming actual ranks are equal. There's definitely less of an issue with smurfs smurfing their own rank in comparison to smurfs smurfing lower ranks imo.
Kyrgyzstan AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE
Lancer
ESO: dats my secret

Post by AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE »

Diarouga60 wrote:I think more people should smurf

i now wanna create an account called diarouga61 and talk random bs, just to check if ppl roll with it.
New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
Howdah
ESO: Ex-Contributor

Post by JakeyBoyTH »

AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE wrote:

i now wanna create an account called diarouga61 and talk random bs, just to check if ppl roll with it.

surely diarouga isnt stupid enough to make a smurf with his own name?
Im not convinced it him
Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk

Ugh Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Guys, if you don't like smurfs, then you also need to stop being pussies and never want to play against higher ranks or always unrated. For my part, if there were enough people to play 1v1 on ep, I wouldn't need to smurf that much. But at some point if you can't find a game, you just go smurf in qs. I'm not gonna stop playing aoe just because I can't find games on my main. And if it makes some people in qs sad, then so be it.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Lancer

JakeyBoyTH wrote:
AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE wrote:

surely diarouga isnt stupid enough to make a smurf with his own name?
Im not convinced it him

eh he much random. today he hero. tomorrow he gives away free hacks. day after that he donates 100 dollarinos to tournament. then he smurfs planet. he no knows what he wants.

Kaiserklein wrote: And if it makes some people in qs sad, then so be it.

now im sad.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

It was actually GodSpeed with that cheeky donation :hmm:

Smurfs are not nice but they seem to be a necessity sometimes :?
Lancer

pecelot wrote:It was actually GoodSpeed with that cheeky donation :hmm:

that actually makes a lot more sense :]
France Steakgrillé
Crossbow
ESO: Steakgrille

Post by Steakgrillé »

Is there a thread listing the main smurf accounts of pr35+ players ?
Because quite often, when i watch a stream, people are playing with their smurf and i don't know who i am watching. Even in the top10 elorating of the website, i could thought that there are new top player, but in reality it is just smurfs^^
"
edit : i don't know if "smurf" is the right term there, maybe just "multiple main accounts"
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

You can always, you know, just ask in the chat...
Plus in tournaments people are allowed to play on their main accounts only.