Why is there no new Patch Version before the the Autumn Tournament?

European Union Asateo
Dragoon
ESO: Asateo

Re: Why is there no new Patch Version before the the Autumn Tournament?

Post by Asateo »

Goodspeed wrote:We aren't nerfing sepoy because we're trying to get rid of rush styles. We are nerfing the unit for 2 reasons. First, it's too strong, and second, we want to make sure that styles other than rush are actually viable. Currently, as mentioned, they just don't seem to cut it in the vast majority of match ups.

Remind what WC has already said above about the last tournaments not being about sepoy rushes.

Goodspeed wrote: So we are buffing all India styles. A general buff means we need a nerf to their early pressure as compensation, because that is already strong.
Don't forget India will be slightly faster after the house change.

Look, we are talking here about 30w being faster. Age up time will be 52 VS faster, divided by 14 vils thats not even 5 seconds faster age up! On an age up that is among the latest in the game... That's not going to cut it. If you want to help the age up, the +100f crate proposed by Garja would do more.

Goodspeed wrote:
Jerom wrote:The reason sepoy openings are so common is because India gets outscaled otherwise.
That's what we're trying to change.
India, by design, is perfectly equipped for longer games. Longer term strategies in their case don't cut it because the civ lacks that little bit of juice, and gets overrun. So we add juice.

Making the houses somewhat cheaper is not adding juice. It's putting a patch on an amputation (the slow sepoy rush is basically severed). For a civ that doesn't want to mass up hugh armies but needs to keep the opponent pressured, houses are even less important. Loosing units opens pop...

Goodspeed wrote:
Jerom wrote:With that in mind this statement is depressing. Yes the way you can buff india is limited, but not limited to no options. You can easily buff the large trickle, the karni mata, buff howdah so that they become a realistic option in fortress (and thus india gets an auto veteran unit that is viable), make gurkha auto veteran, allow the agra fort to research veteran upgrades, buff the ottoman consulate in eco/defensive bonuses, and I'm sure there are more things to think off.
There is a reason why in this case I prefer a more general buff instead of a targeted one like the buffs you suggested.

Above mentioned buffs by Jerom are adding juice, taste, fun to play. Example: gurkha auto update makes charminar gate much more viable for age 3, instead of the tower, which you need for wood, to upgrade your units.

I remain convinced that the proposed buff is not at all in correspondence with the proposed nerf.
To see a world in a grain of saind, A heaven in a wild flower
Hold infinity in the palm of you hand, And eternity in an hour
- William Blake, Auguries of Innocence
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

somppukunkku wrote:Sepoy is 20% more expensive than musket

1.2* Musket= 180hp, 27.6 attack
Sepoy = 190hp, 25 attack

stop this nonsense. inner jerk club can't handle that every civ must not be played with skirm-goon combination

Yep and it's an insane unit so it must be nerfed anyway.
Or do you think ashis were balanced with 26 attack?
I suppose -5f to compensate for the -10 hp is fair, altho why would you want to make sepoy abusable (aside from being one of thoe who abuse them?).

Anyway it's funny how everyone is concerned about the sepoy change just because they use the unit, while the rest of the changes of this patch are defenitely more controversial.
Image Image Image
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

@Asateo The two changes aren't supposed to compensate each other completely. We want sepoy builds to be slightly weaker than they are now. And we want all other styles to be slightly stronger. Not much stronger, because we don't think that's necessary.
A 5 second faster age up is not nothing, and after that you are still winning 30w per house which speeds up your build slightly. This change also smooths India's early game if they go for an early TP off 400w starts. It's not a big buff, because we don't think a big buff is needed. Maybe it is needed, we'll find out.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

Garja wrote:Anyway it's funny how everyone is concerned about the sepoy change just because they use the unit, while the rest of the changes of this patch are defenitely more controversial.

Exactly this
mad cuz bad
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Goodspeed, you're three times wrong. Its embarrassing. You're wrong in claiming that "India being primarily an “early pressure” civ is the symptom" that needs to be treated. Even if you were right about that, you're wrong in the analysis that India is one dimensional at all. Neither in terms of strategies being used, or in terms of army compositions is india one dimensional (I've gone into details a few times already, which you've all conveniently ignored). And even if you were also right about India being one dimensional, your proposed change doesn't fix things and limits them even more, and probably just ruins the civ. This is a typical goodspeed change: You like eco games, you like being greedy, so you want to change all civs that can't be played like that. Sioux had to get rid of their bow riders, Otto was supposed to go Abus Cav archer in age 3, Spain needs an eco option in age 3 so they play eco instead of the standard FF, Russia needed to be buffed in fortress (20 strelets PogChamp), Iro had to become a fortress civ, TPs cannot ever be nerfed and now india is not allowed to rush anymore. At this point I'm wondering if there are people in the team that even bother arguing with you, as you end up seemingly pushing endlessly to change the game to what you personally prefer.

Let me start out by the first error in thought: Early pressure civs are not a bad thing. I've already written a big postabout why it's not bad to have a civ that is primarily an early pressure civ. To expand on it, there is nothing more beautiful, in my opinion at least, to have a match up that has a clear aggressor vs a clear defender. Theres already very few aggressive civs (honestly just india, russia, otto and aztec at the moment) so the few civs that can be aggressive should be cherished, or you lose a big part of the game. On the other hand, theres many civs that want to play in the midgame and scale like France, Germany, Japan, China, Dutch, Portuguese and British and some civs that tend to go along in the midgame play like Sioux and Iro. Why is it ever right to decide rushing is bad for the game while scaling is good? The beauty is the variety of match ups, and like I already said, india fills a core role in the current meta. Slow sepoy rush and consulate rush are strategies that no other civ can perform, those styles are some of the most unique styles of play in this game. Why does this need to be removed? There are endless match ups where you can play towards the midgame and then try to have the bigger army in the one deciding fight. Theres only a handful of match ups where you can play against a musketeer based rush that deals well with town center fire. Let me rephrase that, theres only about 10 match ups in the entire game where this style is a thing, and those are 10 of india's 14 match ups (imo, some more match ups might actually not even be that sepoy rush based but that'll be discussed in the next paragraph). We already frequently hear complaints, and rightfully so in my opinion, that the esoc patch with the lovely maps has a meta heavily tilted towards setting up yourself for the midgame, basically playing no rush 10. You're proposing to worsen that problem, to actually limit the diversity in the game. And yes, maybe a civ is a bit boring if it's extremely one dimensional, but removing a very unique style of play entirely (and please dont tell me you can slow sepoy rush with 180 hp sepoys because that is utter bullshit) is just limiting the meta. Aoe3 does not have extremely diverse civs, and it doesn't need to have those because it has a lot of civs. Ideally all 196 match ups are somewhat unique, and in any case India as it is right now greatly contributes towards the diversity in these 196 match ups. Don't change that, don't ruin the game because you don't like rush civs.

And then, like I said, even if a civ being an early pressure civ, a somewhat one dimensional civ is a symptom that needs to be treated, you're entirely wrong in labeling india this at all. Your primary argument for calling india one dimensional was that all tournament games you remembered involved india sepoy rushing. WickedCossack has done a great job in showing that this argument is utter bullshit and should simply be discarded, labeled as incorrect. I've also written a pretty elaborate post and also this post explaining why india is not one dimensional at all. Just look at all the match ups I mentioned where india is not a one dimensional sepoy rushing civ at all. As I said the first part where this analysis is wrong is that India's rushes are actually really varied, split up in 3 entirely different build orders which is already a lot of variety for an average aoe civ (compare this to germany, france, aztec, russia, spain or ports for example). Like I already said in the post I linked, a slow sepoy rush is close to an eco build order really, it's hardly a rush, it's just making a few sepoy to harass the opponent and keep him from being greedy, to then go into woodtrickle/600w/300e yourself. For example, against british a sepoy rush into a boom is quite commonly considered to be the best option for india, where india ends up actually defending against a big push from the british player. In the german match up, I think it's the norm to sepoy rush, then mass up a bit and then try to hit a timing when germany goes for the age up with some sowars. Against dutch I think going for a slow sepoy rush followed up by 4 sowar, or honestly even going for a 10/10 might be the best way about it, and I do feel anything less aggressive or a consulate rush is much less efficient. Thats just the slow sepoy rush variety, there also is the consulate rush, which is a go for the throat rush, a very hard timing push, an entirely different beast altogether. And then we're actually not even mentioning that they have 4 match ups where sepoy rushes are not even a thing in aztec, otto, russia and the mirror. So I think it can be stated as a fact that India is much more than a rush only civ, and this is backed up by the way they have been played in tournament games. So I think you're forced to discard this opinion.

Then you're left with the argument that India makes too many sepoys, that they don't make gurka/zambs/sowars because sepoys are OP, but also this is factually incorrect. There are actually very few match ups where I think you can get away with making only sepoys, and the ones where that would be possible at all are match ups where you actually consulate rush. Think about the match up vs british, that one civ with a weakness to musketeers. Even in that match up india mixes Gurka and Sowars (refer for example to H2O vs BSOP spring finals game 9). Think about India vs Russia, in this match up you are actually supposed to transition into Gurka Zamb. Look at these games: https://youtu.be/l_4YyiCW9GE?t=30m22s (three varied back to back india games) where in the first India vs Russia I'm staying on sepoy and getting rekt, and then in the second India vs russia get tipped by ryan to go into gurka zamb and end up winning. Consider India vs Germany, where pure sepoy isn't going to cut it anymore once germany gets access to skirmishers. Consider Sommpu playing India vs Mitoe's ports, where he does rush but actually quickly ends up mixing in gurka and shipping sowar. Consider india vs Dutch where you want to add gurkas and sowars after the initial push to deal with their skirmishers efficiently, consider aztec where you shouldn't make many sepoy at all, consider the india mirror that revolves mostly around gurka zamb. It seems like you would need to provide a evidence that india mostly makes sepoys at this point, because my experience, all tournament games I have watched and the opinions of good players on how to play India do not back up the statement that you need to make pure sepoy in a majority of match ups.

And then even if you were right about both having to nerf rush civs and India being one dimensional, then the change you propose is terrible. The reason why india plays the way they play is apperantly a complete mystery to you, because you seem to be completely wrong about it. India has to sepoy rush, has to slow down civs because they are unable to compete with fortress age play. Not because they lack punch overall, they're actually the best colonial civ by quite the margin, trumping British and Russia and they have a magnificent defensive boom, imo the best in the game. No, the real reason they can't compete with fortress age play is because their own FF is too slow. You can't do a hussar type semi FF (which is the best way to semi ff clearly, since thats what all civs that can do it prefer to do) because sowars suck in cav vs cav wars and your best age 2 wonder if by far the agra fort (karni mata is very vulnerable and the agra fort map control is one of india's biggest strengths) so you don't actually get a stable. You then age up awefully slowly, to then have to spend a lot of resources on 3! veteran upgrades (and whats sad is that you have to make a barracks beside your agra fort because the agra fort cant upgrade units). After you've done all of that, you're left being completely and utterly outscaled in every regard. Shaving 30 wood of off houses isn't going to make up for this. You're going to save a magnificent ~150 wood with a tiny bit of snowball potential (you need a whopping 30w less in age 1, PogChamp) at the point where you reach age 3. India's eco style right now is in no way capable of dealing with a good semi ff, it's quite honestly not even close. This change is insignificant, at best it's like making gurka auto upgrade. It's a tiny buff to the defensive india boom, but that's already really strong against civs like russia, so that buff is absolutely not needed. India does not actually lack overall punch like I already said. Meanwhile you're nerfing one of the main tools that india has to compete with these semi FFs and greedy civs. The slow sepoy rush is a very interesting and interactive build order. You make only a handful of sepoy to keep your opponent true and then you actually do transition into economic play. It's very common to go 5 sepoy - 600w/large trickle - 300e, probably the most common build order for india. You're removing this style and replacing it with the same but weaker and more passive, less interactive. If theres one thing I agree with, its that it'd be nice for India to have an economic option from time to time. It'd be nice if going age 3 is at least almost viable. But the way to make that happen is to buff that specific part of india. The other aspects of india, slow sepoy rush, consulate rush and defensive boom, are completely fine, they don't need more overall punch, they could use a buff in a specific area. And if you think that's overbuffing india, that india having extra options across the field makes them stronger, I'd agree that it does make them stronger but I think that's not even misplaced. Funnily enough I think your proposed changes do not affect the only true all in india style, the consulate rush, because with the consulate rush you get the british consulate which makes sepoy being 3 shot by the TC again and I think thats one of the tightest build orders in the game where the cheaper houses actually matter a lot. So the proposed changes actually just remove a core style of india, buff a style thats already situationally very strong (defensive boom) and won't do enough to make india better against semi FF play. You'd make india a much more varied civ if you leave sepoy untouched, or at least their hp untouched, and buff something so that they can compete with a semi FF (ranging from karni mata buffs, howdah being a viable auto veteran unit, gurka getting veteran automatically, even zamburaks having an age 2 multiplier against artillery would allow them to stay age 2 and defend the agra fort with those).

And then lastly, I want to critize the idea that sepoy should be nerfed simply because they're abnormally strong. It's ridiculous to look at a unit in a vacuum like that. 3 CDB should be nerfed because its an objectively OP shipment in a vacuum, it's objectively OP that asian civs can make villagers in transition, if considered in a vacuum. 2 SW is a ridiculous shipment that should be nerfed, its, in a vacuum, ridiculously OP that ports get a free TC. And then even look at what somppu posted; their stats are hardly that abnormal.

Overall, I think you're wrong in every regard. You refuse to argue with the details for multiple posts in a row and at every point where you do attempt it you are simply wrong. This change would be the most ridiculous change in the patch, its just you pushing eco play because you like eco play.
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player
EWTNWC LAN SilverAdvanced Division WinnerDonator 01

Post by lordraphael »

i have a build against british where i make 100 % sepoy and win.
breeze wrote: they cant even guess how much f***ing piece of stupid retarded they look they are trying to give lesson to people who are over pr35 and know the best mu. im pretty sure that we need a page that only pr30+ post and then we could have a nice discussins.
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

It is also funny how everyone is complaining about sepoy but completely ignoring that 50w houses is a nice buff.
mad cuz bad
Malaysia Aizamk
Pro Player
ESOC WarChiefs Classic 2017

Post by Aizamk »

any change is fun
spice things up to make you think
malaysia is warm
oranges.
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player

Post by lordraphael »

Aizamk wrote:any change is fun
malaysia is warm

i want my badge for a tourney win aswell. Seperate me from the plebs
breeze wrote: they cant even guess how much f***ing piece of stupid retarded they look they are trying to give lesson to people who are over pr35 and know the best mu. im pretty sure that we need a page that only pr30+ post and then we could have a nice discussins.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

@momuuu I explained before there should be balance between inter-civ and intra-civ diversity and we judge that balance to be off in India's case. Simple as that. It's okay if you disagree but when you try to argue that my goal is not balance but to change the game to favour my own playstyle, I just lose interest in the discussion. I'm so tired of hearing that shit.
Malaysia Aizamk
Pro Player
ESOC WarChiefs Classic 2017

Post by Aizamk »

lordraphael wrote:
malaysia is warm

done, now we share it
oranges.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Haha that is confusing af
"Wait, I thought it said the last post was by Aiz"
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Goodspeed wrote:@momuuu I explained before there should be balance between inter-civ and intra-civ diversity and we judge that balance to be off in India's case. Simple as that. It's okay if you disagree but when you try to argue that my goal is not balance but to change the game to favour my own playstyle, I just lose interest in the discussion. I'm so tired of hearing that shit.

Good dodge.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

n0el wrote:It is also funny how everyone is complaining about sepoy but completely ignoring that 50w houses is a nice buff.

I'd invite you to read my post.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

n0el wrote:
Garja wrote:Anyway it's funny how everyone is concerned about the sepoy change just because they use the unit, while the rest of the changes of this patch are defenitely more controversial.

Exactly this

Well, as far as I can see, most of the changes weren't made public yet, therefore I find it hard to imagine everyone being more concerned about them :hmm:
momuuu wrote: theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player

Post by lordraphael »

Aizamk wrote:
lordraphael wrote:
malaysia is warm

done, now we share it

OP
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

Well @momuuu the premise of your comment on saving wood is this:

India has to sepoy rush, has to slow down civs because they are unable to compete with fortress age play

which isn't true. Diarouga and Ryan have shown this is different ways.
mad cuz bad
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

n0el wrote:Well @momuuu the premise of your comment on saving wood is this:

India has to sepoy rush, has to slow down civs because they are unable to compete with fortress age play

Then why is india being changed in the first place? Btw, are you referring to the one super specific howdah style against china?
Hungary Dsy
Lancer

Post by Dsy »

I dont find sepoys op with my own views but i still think fixing starting crates for india and all civs would be the best to tweak their early pwoer if its necessary...
That would be a minimal change if there is no in patch notes people cant even see some times.
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

Jerom wrote:
n0el wrote:Well @momuuu the premise of your comment on saving wood is this:

Then why is india being changed in the first place? Btw, are you referring to the one super specific howdah style against china?

Because Sepoy are too strong in the early game? That is the whole point of this discussion.

I am not talking about Howdah style. Diarouga's style is actually hugely improved by this patch with the tc change also.
mad cuz bad
Austria KINGofOsmane
Pro Player
ESO: KINGofOsmane

Post by KINGofOsmane »

n0el wrote:
Jerom wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Because Sepoy are too strong in the early game? That is the whole point of this discussion.

I am not talking about Howdah style. Diarouga's style is actually hugely improved by this patch with the tc change also.

whats the diarouga style? lol
"Losing to Callen was the worst night of my life" Gibthedurrty 2019
"If hazza can get pr42 with team i can get pr50 with 1v1" Gibthedurrty 2018
Lecastete wrote: Dude i hate this game. I am bad and i also dont have luck
Tete cs:go experience
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Ok just read the post carefully it literally adresses all points, except that I have no idea what diarouga style is but if that is an economically focussed style that works then I don't get the change anymore because sepoy rushes wouldn't be a thing then.
Hungary Dsy
Lancer

Post by Dsy »

KINGofOsmane wrote:
n0el wrote:
Show hidden quotes

whats the diarouga style? lol

Party style. Dancing at fire pit.
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

Defensive semi with karni and gurkha. Age with tower and add second TC.
mad cuz bad
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

That seems to be completely in agreement with my posts as to why this change is bad.