EP XPMOD Information

Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

EP XPMOD Information

Post by EAGLEMUT »

As a new feature of EP4, XPMOD can now be launched from EP Launcher Tools, or directly from age3xpmod.exe (bundled with EP installation).

I would like to share some details here on how EP implements the XPMOD functionality, and why it is the best implementation around. I consider the file swapping technique (ex. ESO-A) to be an unsafe method. Moving files around seems to be a common cause of permission errors or red flags for antivirus software. Messing with original RE data in this manner can potentially cause RE to become nonfunctional, or permanently stuck in XPMOD-mode. This is something I absolutely want to avoid on EP, which is why I was wary of including this feature in the way it's traditionally been utilized.

And this is why I took a different approach. Instead of creating logic for swapping the files, which couldn't ever realistically work in 100% of cases, I've created a new, separate exe launcher for the XPMOD, based on standard RE TAD launcher. This means that the XPMOD bundled with EP works very similarly to EP/TR patches, in that it acts as an expansion-style mod, loading its own data. Therefore, by using EP XPMOD (be it from EP Launcher Tools, or directly from age3xpmod.exe), you run no risk of negatively affecting any other version of AoE3 that you have currently installed. Furthermore, there's also nothing you need to "toggle off" after using the EP XPMOD. This is actually a significant improvement in convenience as well, both for new players (who might find a toggle confusing), and for veteran players who want to help the newbies out (and deserve the most convenient way to do that).

Bottom line: the recommend way to get XPMOD for anyone should from now on be installing EP. It is safer and more convenient than any other implementation currently available on the market.

Yet in case you do find an issue with EP XPMOD, you can let us know in this thread!
New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
Howdah
ESO: Ex-Contributor

Re: EP XPMOD Information

Post by JakeyBoyTH »

Will this succeed the previous version, PECELOTMOD?
Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk

Ugh Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05

Post by EAGLEMUT »

JakeyBoyTH wrote:Will this succeed the previous version, PECELOTMOD?

To clarify, you still do need another person. It's now just easier than ever to get on XPMOD, thus increasing the chances of finding such a person. :flowers:
momuuu wrote: ↑theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
New Zealand JakeyBoyTH
Howdah
ESO: Ex-Contributor

Post by JakeyBoyTH »

EAGLEMUT wrote:
JakeyBoyTH wrote:Will this succeed the previous version, PECELOTMOD?

To clarify, you still do need another person. It's now just easier than ever to get on XPMOD, thus increasing the chances of finding such a person. :flowers:

Pecelot is the only person for me <3
Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk

Ugh Advanced Wonders suck

- Aizamk
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05

Post by EAGLEMUT »

Ha, actually already identified an issue with this - XPMOD is not being installed for some people, presumably because of antivirus software check.
I'll try to include a fix in today's release, I do have something in mind to avoid the issue.
Australia Timba
Skirmisher
ESO: Timba_

Post by Timba »

So just to confirm, these are roughly the steps for using the new mod?
1. TAKE A BACKUP FILE OF DATAPY.BAR FIRST!
2. AFTER YOU'VE TAKEN A BACK UP, REPLACE THE ORIGINAL WITH THE XP MOD ONE IN: drive_c/program files/microsoft games/age of empires 33. Get someone else to install open the same mod on EP4
4. Play a game (Rated/Unrated) on Fast mode.
5. Wait 2 minutes, then one person resigns (the winner will receive the XP)
6. Uninstall by putting the original back Both players restart the game to revert back to normal(?)
7. Start your game and make sure you do not have version mismatch!
The best moment I've ever seen in AoEIII: youtu.be/LuMcFUjt6zQ?t=12m
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05

Post by EAGLEMUT »

Yep. ;) After using it, close the game and launch whatever patch you want to be on.
United States of America Darwin_
Howdah

Post by Darwin_ »

This is what I love the EP for! Thank you so much @EAGLEMUT
somppukunkku wrote:This is not a fucking discogame.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Question: Could it be possible to remove the xp limit per game for home cities in general (this shouldn't be a big deal right, even if you like grinding its stupid taht it's limited per game) and then make an xp mod map with something that gives huge xp or with some trigger that the winner gets a ton of xp. Then it'd be even easier for xp mod to be done.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05

Post by EAGLEMUT »

Glad you all are liking the new XPMOD!
With the now-released EP 4.0.0.1, I'm taking this even further by making XPMOD derived from ESOC patch (instead of RE patch):
XPMOD now includes hook support and Discord bot support! XPMOD rooms are displayed in dark gold color.
This should also fix the issue where XPMOD was not getting installed for some players.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05

Post by EAGLEMUT »

Jerom wrote:Question: Could it be possible to remove the xp limit per game for home cities in general (this shouldn't be a big deal right, even if you like grinding its stupid taht it's limited per game) and then make an xp mod map with something that gives huge xp or with some trigger that the winner gets a ton of xp. Then it'd be even easier for xp mod to be done.

Wow, interesting idea, I think this actually might be possible! Definitely something to look into.
#devthejerom
India boks
Crossbow
ESO: boks_

Post by boks »

Pressing the "Launch XPmod" button does nothing for me.I don't have any antivirus either.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05

Post by EAGLEMUT »

boks wrote:Pressing the "Launch XPmod" button does nothing for me.I don't have any antivirus either.

D'oh, looks like this isn't an antivirus problem, XPMOD was actually just not included in the exe installer :shock:
I have now uploaded a fixed version. Please redownload the installer from http://eso-community.net/esoc-patch.php and use it to reinstall.

This problem did not affect auto-update or manual update, only the exe installer.
No Flag 1time
Crossbow
ESO: gbr97

Post by 1time »

Hello,
When i attempt to launch the xp mod i get an error:

"Initialization failed could not load DATAPY.BAR"

Running 64bit windows 8.
Any help is appreciated!
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05

Post by EAGLEMUT »

@1time sorry, turns out it still wasn't included properly in the exe installer..
*facepalm*
If you still need XP, please redownload the installer from http://eso-community.net/esoc-patch.php and use it to reinstall.
No Flag 1time
Crossbow
ESO: gbr97

Post by 1time »

Thank you EAGLEMUT it works now!
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Post by chris1089 »

Where do I find EP Launcher Tools? Is it under Document/My Games/Age of Empires 3/ESOC Patch?
All I have in that folder is ESOC Patch 3.1.0.0
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05

Post by EAGLEMUT »

@chris1089 When you open the EP Launcher you see a window like on this page, the last button leads to the Tools.
If you can't locate your EP Launcher shortcut, you can try just reinstalling EP.
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Post by chris1089 »

EAGLEMUT wrote:@chris1089 When you open the EP Launcher you see a window like on this page, the last button leads to the Tools.
If you can't locate your EP Launcher shortcut, you can try just reinstalling EP.

Thanks