Disciples Overnerfed?

United States of America Inst
Skirmisher
ESO: Inst

Disciples Overnerfed?

Post by Inst »

Has anyone had any success stories with disciples after the EP patch, or are disciples only worth it in the context of Colonial White Pagoda for an all-in?
Skirmisher

Re: Disciples Overnerfed?

Post by Inst »

That is to say, Disciples got nerfed pretty heavily. The most broken thing about them was disciple spawning; i.e, they should not have had an effectively 100% spawn rate. Then there was the villager harassment issue. But the other nerfs were unjustified; nerfing them from 12 to 10 cap means that you can't even send the 5 card disciple shipment anymore. Then the 17% base damage nerf, in combination with other factors, makes them useless unless you're doing a colonial all-in.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Disciples weren't touched in EP. What makes you think they were?
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

What are you talking about? :hmm:
Skirmisher

Post by Inst »

Sorry, should that be RE instead? Were disciples overnerfed? Are they actually usable in game, or are they just a gimmick these days?
United States of America TheInvincibleJannisary
Dragoon

Post by TheInvincibleJannisary »

Take a time machine to go back in time to when disciples were OP when AOE3 TAD was originally released
Skirmisher

Post by Inst »

I think the general conclusion is that disciple rush is no longer an issue. But are disciples still usable?
United States of America TheInvincibleJannisary
Dragoon

Post by TheInvincibleJannisary »

Getting more units on the field is sometimes a good move but by itself I wouldn't just train disciples.
Canada Mitoe

Post by Mitoe »

Disciples were nerfed in an official patch a long time ago. Don't know which one, I wasn't around. Disciples are still great, but not overpowered. You should definitely be training them in fights; but definitely don't rush with them unless your name is Aizamk and you know the way.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Inst wrote:I think the general conclusion is that disciple rush is no longer an issue. But are disciples still usable?

disciples are great for their cost, and you should pretty much always make them in a fight or just before a fight.
Skirmisher

Post by Inst »

For cost, disciples are roughly equivalent to a hussar in Colonial and Fortress, and in Imperial they remain competitive if you buy the monastery upgrades. So I'm not sure if great is a word I'd use.
Canada Mitoe

Post by Mitoe »

Hussar are great though. Also disciples have crits and convert other units to disciples, which is fantastic.
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah
ESO: gamevideo113

Post by gamevideo113 »

Like the spanish dogs, mixing some of them in your army can be really useful as mitoe and umeu were saying. They are not underpowered, but it's a cheap unit and you shouldn't expect it to wipe the floor.
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
stupid logic. noob players can say op?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
Skirmisher

Post by Inst »

It's about 10%, right? That's equivalent to 10% extra damage (since in 90% of attacks, the damage is normal, and in 10% of time, it's the normal damage + bonus damage). Not sure about how to calculate the disciple conversion, however.
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah
ESO: gamevideo113

Post by gamevideo113 »

You should be able to get a tooltip for the conversion rate if you hover your mouse on the UI while having a disciple selected.
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
stupid logic. noob players can say op?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Mitoe wrote:Hussar are great though. Also disciples have crits and convert other units to disciples, which is fantastic.

not to mention that you can train them on the spot and they have a short training time. also the fact that they cost just one resource is great as well.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

I think disciples might be pretty underrated atm. They're one of the driving forces behind the china attack move army that randomly wins anything I think.
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

I'd like to speak out for a general disciple buff, I would much rather right click stuff while doing a disciple rush than having to be cautious and microing stuff. Thanks in advance
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

Disciples are situational, but they have their uses if you have the spare resources at hand in a battle and your opponent doesn't have too much anti-cav.
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

disciples really add to the hand inf fisting combo and will be mixed in nicely with pike sword hero + china cav
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Disciples are good. The Chinese hero in cover mode is just unkillable, so you will have a hard time stopping China from making disciples in fights. So China will always be able to bring in small reinforcements very quickly. Plus, their stats are very decent for their cost, and they get auto upgraded with every age.
When defending a rush, it's also a way to get units out without needing a military building, which is very nice when ffing.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Sweden deadrising78
Skirmisher
ESO: deadrising78

Post by deadrising78 »

Do disciples have a chance to convert killed units to disciples or is that just the hero? Sometimes it says they convert and sometimes it doesnt
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

disciples do i think yea
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

starting in age 2 only.
Skirmisher

Post by Inst »

What about cover mode disciples? China has issues with having good meat shields, until Age 3, but Disciples, as pseudo-hussars, have a high HP line that's further extended once they enter cover mode. For cost, they resemble Hussars with 550 HP once put into cover mode.