Re: ESOC Patch suggestions, comments and discussion

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

+10000
No Flag thebritish
Jaeger

Post by thebritish »

the water on new england isnt very good in 1vs1 which means land>water :P
krichk wrote: For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge thebritish
No Flag deuxballesman
Dragoon

Post by deuxballesman »

TP or non-TP maps ? That influences the civ choice by a lot
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

I think it's currently not really decent to have a 'competitive map pool' that includes maps not featuring a TP. The difference between having a TP and not is too big. Also some civs are borderline unplayable on water maps. On the other hand, it's probably the top dogs that profit most from having a TP so I dont care much.

But maybe it's more of a design issue that some civs depend on TPs so much and that TPs offer them so much. In terms of water, I think there are some maps that are really over the top. It would really improve gameplay, imo, if the water maps didnt feature these annoying islands that allow someone to actually go full water and survive/do well for way too long. Im interested as to if Garja considered this aspect, and if so, why he decided to give islands to many water maps.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Every civs are playable vs sea except on maps like hispaniola, indonesia.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

Why the hell would you want to remove Patagonia, other than it being a water map? Also, New England is more or less fine.
: S

The rest are more or less different, although I think "balanced" is a poor choice of words for what you want to say. "Extremely conform and normal" seems more like it...
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

The map sets have been discussed at lenght before deciding which maps to put in and which to exclude. Also how to weight each map within the set.
TP vs non TP argument came up but we agreed that afterall isn't necessarily game deciding, and even if it were it would be true the opposite aswell (e.g. germans benefiting greatly from TPs).
Water, on the other hand, was a less discussed topic simply because water maps that are included in the current competitive set don't present any particular issue coming from the water aspect.
In fact you're better off just playing traditional land style on those maps and water play is objectively just an addiction to mix your play.
On top of all of this, even if water were any better than land that would only be an addition to the map set in terms of variety.
Image Image Image
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

I must say a little part of me don't liking water maps is that I don't like water gameplay. If that was all there was, I'd have been playing other games long long ago. Im not even sure I'd have gotten past 200 ESO games really, so I'd like to option to just banish these full on water maps as much as possible tbh.
No Flag thebritish
Jaeger

Post by thebritish »

If you think you cant win vs sea on New England, you probably havent build 4 tp's with train upgrade vs someone playing sea
krichk wrote: For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge thebritish
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

Garja wrote:The map sets have been discussed at lenght before deciding which maps to put in and which to exclude. Also how to weight each map within the set.
TP vs non TP argument came up but we agreed that afterall isn't necessarily game deciding, and even if it were it would be true the opposite aswell (e.g. germans benefiting greatly from TPs).
Water, on the other hand, was a less discussed topic simply because water maps that are included in the current competitive set don't present any particular issue coming from the water aspect.
In fact you're better off just playing traditional land style on those maps and water play is objectively just an addiction to mix your play.
On top of all of this, even if water were any better than land that would only be an addition to the map set in terms of variety.

You know I love you when you make sense to me. Which of course means I'm making sense!
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

britishmusketeer wrote:Are you saying that not only should you have to scout their base, but should also have to walk your explorer along the trade route to check how many tps they are building? Tps are already too strong so they hardly need a buff. As for natives, the only time they are built is for cree so hiding them would only make early cree booming a lot stronger.

You should have to do that yes, it should be expected anyway that players will make trade sites and alliances with native people as this is a game about establishing a new colony...
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
Great Britain britishmusketeer
Howdah

Post by britishmusketeer »

evilcheadar wrote:
britishmusketeer wrote:Are you saying that not only should you have to scout their base, but should also have to walk your explorer along the trade route to check how many tps they are building? Tps are already too strong so they hardly need a buff. As for natives, the only time they are built is for cree so hiding them would only make early cree booming a lot stronger.

You should have to do that yes, it should be expected anyway that players will make trade sites and alliances with native people as this is a game about establishing a new colony...

nope, my point is that trade route tps are overpowered so making them harder to scout would buff something already too strong.
You have not set your flag, click to select your flag. Marco1698

Post by Marco1698 »

Tp are very good but not as much as to be nerfed imo. Also about wall, you nerfed their hp, I would've make them a bit more expensive instead
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

ovi12 wrote:I haven't calculated for all but for example jaegars are slightly less cost efficient than skirms, and I wouldnt be surprised if most other mercs were slightly less cost efficient too. The only bonus is when you're using germany because you get 5% more than a normal upgrade card, and if youre making/shipping more than 1 type of merc, you get an upgrade for your whole army with just 1 card.

There's also an advantage in that the macro is way easier.

Also I saw you saying that mamelukes should be an age 3 merc because they're available to ship in age 3, but just a few days ago you said that just because germany can ship 4 lands in age 2 doesn't mean lands are an age 2 merc :P

fusilisiers and ninjas are only available as an age4 shipment, but can be trained in saloon in age3. so i think its fine that mams are moved to 4. even though its an age3 shipment. as free trainable unit theyre just too epic. and as a shipment they are needed in the unit roster.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

umeu wrote:
ovi12 wrote:I haven't calculated for all but for example jaegars are slightly less cost efficient than skirms, and I wouldnt be surprised if most other mercs were slightly less cost efficient too. The only bonus is when you're using germany because you get 5% more than a normal upgrade card, and if youre making/shipping more than 1 type of merc, you get an upgrade for your whole army with just 1 card.

There's also an advantage in that the macro is way easier.

Also I saw you saying that mamelukes should be an age 3 merc because they're available to ship in age 3, but just a few days ago you said that just because germany can ship 4 lands in age 2 doesn't mean lands are an age 2 merc :P

fusilisiers and ninjas are only available as an age4 shipment, but can be trained in saloon in age3. so i think its fine that mams are moved to 4. even though its an age3 shipment. as free trainable unit theyre just too epic. and as a shipment they are needed in the unit roster.

YUMIYUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

I know I'm probs the only one who seems to care about mercs (ah no there's aiz right), but I still gotta say something. After many games making full mercs, I noticed we need to nerf manchus. They are definitely too strong. Try them in the editor :
- 1 manchu > 1 jaeger (tho it costs barely more), and more meaningfully : 1 manchu > 2 vet skirms ! So this unit can basically kill its counter, skirms, with equal investment. For example, a 9 manchus shipment would easily kill a 2 x 8 skirms shipment (if that existed, that is). Isn't this weird ?
- So, obviously, manchus can also kill musks : 1 manchu can almost 3v1 normal musks, and can easily 2v1 vet musks.
- Manchus kill other ranged cav : try 27 manchus vs 22 black riders (tip : I had 20 manchus left). And since black riders are already strong, it's even worse against goons or ww for example, the closest being vs cav archers ; but manchus still win vs those.
- Manchus can ofc kite any melee unit since they have 7.25 speed, unlike most other cav archers who have only 6.75.
- And manchus kill falcs.

So what the hell can beat full manchus from the saloon ??? Except more manchus or more skirms ?
Add to what I listed that they have 40% melee resist so if somehow they get caught, even by melee inf, they won't die easily at all. I'm not even sure whether hand inf actually counters not-kiting manchus... And add that they are extremely mobile, which should mean their stats are buffed somehow for balance purposes (that's not the case at all). Their siege attack is really their only drawback... Even the multiplier they have vs vils isn't that significant since they still deal 27 damage per 3 seconds, at range and with great mobility.

Now consider the German advanced mercs card, and you come to wonder if those guys can be stopped by anything ?
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Germany yemshi
Jaeger
ESO: yemshi

Post by yemshi »

I dunno if that was mentioned somewhere else already, didn't read the full thread but pleas, please make High Plains have less TP's. At least 4; preferably 3, like it was on the old GP.
No Flag DogSoldier_
Skirmisher

Post by DogSoldier_ »

make german houses cost 80w since they need lot pop
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

yemshi wrote:I dunno if that was mentioned somewhere else already, didn't read the full thread but pleas, please make High Plains have less TP's. At least 4; preferably 3, like it was on the old GP.

I'm more from going back to the original version of high plains. This map actually used to be called Wyoming and the original high plains had a TP route that curved more toward each player's base at the end, so it was extremely difficult to control all the TP's. But Wyoming was just renamed to the new HP
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
France Rikikipu
Retired Contributor
ESO: p-of

Post by Rikikipu »

ovi12 wrote:
yemshi wrote:I dunno if that was mentioned somewhere else already, didn't read the full thread but pleas, please make High Plains have less TP's. At least 4; preferably 3, like it was on the old GP.

I'm more from going back to the original version of high plains. This map actually used to be called Wyoming and the original high plains had a TP route that curved more toward each player's base at the end, so it was extremely difficult to control all the TP's. But Wyoming was just renamed to the new HP

I disagree with you guys.
I don't remember having seen someone taking all 5 tps.
It provides also some intersting situations which are different from other maps, so it's nice.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

ovi12 wrote:

Current HP is a mix of the 2 (wyoming and old HP). New HP has a more balanced trade route when it comes to first passage.

Reducing the post number to 3 would cause the same problem of Great Plains where whoever gets the middle TP receives the first shipment 40-60 secs earlier.
Image Image Image
Great Britain britishmusketeer
Howdah

Post by britishmusketeer »

Garja wrote:
ovi12 wrote:

Current HP is a mix of the 2 (wyoming and old HP). New HP has a more balanced trade route when it comes to first passage.

Reducing the post number to 3 would cause the same problem of Great Plains where whoever gets the middle TP receives the first shipment 40-60 secs earlier.

and reducing it to 4?
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

Same thing. Previous version had 4 in fact.
Image Image Image
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

I think 5 TP's is just plain overkill though.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

I think 4 TPs would be perfect, as I've said before.