Fanpatch Popularity and Acceptance

Post by irr3alist »

If so then create an OASIS map.
Netherlands irr3alist
Dragoon
Donator 05

Post by irr3alist »

Also... let's all try to be a bit more like veni / aizamk.

meaning that we should be more helpful and understanding towards lower ranking players --> thus creating a new community base instead of just PR hungry level 26+ trying to get to the next level. Imo if we all spend more attentive helpful care to the ranks below us they will become soon your own level and ergo : more games on fp.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

irr3alist wrote:Also... let''s all try to be a bit more like veni / aizamk.

meaning that we should be more helpful and understanding towards lower ranking players -->' thus creating a new community base instead of just PR hungry level 26+ trying to get to the next level. Imo if we all spend more attentive helpful care to the ranks below us they will become soon your own level and ergo : more games on fp.
I agree entirely.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

lesllamas wrote:I''m pr20 and I''ve tried finding games with the FP to limited success. I think most people around my pr prefer team games. I''ve told some people about the FP, and some of the changes, but it''s just not that interesting to your run of the mill pr 17-23 guy. Port and Dutch changes are probably the biggest, if that tells you anything. I''ve gotten some people saying "did they change japan lame shrines" or "did they nerf france instant gends", which tells you something about the "3v3 deccan" players'' meta/what they care about.

I''ve also been hesitant to join 1v1s (even nr) 1st lieut and above. I just assume that most of those players wouldn''t want to play vs a pr 20 and I get kicked quite often, although I currently beat people around my own rank at a 70% rate http://aoe3.jpcommunity.com/rating2/pla ... re1313&amp'm=latestmatch&'t=age3ySP1v1.

I''ve noticed that there''s a magical PR barrier at the 1st lieut level. At almost every other PR, players can generally expect to be able to join games of one name-rank above and below them (i.e. serg/ms/2nd lieut is what an MS could join). But 1st lieuts regularly kick 2nd lieuts like me unless they specifically know me. /rant
Good post. I think everyone should play anyone at least +/- 5PR.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

hi1221 wrote:Mac support would garner more people.
This is being worked on. We are expecting OSX functionality within a few weeks.
No Flag Magnam
Musketeer

Post by Magnam »

I like the fp. I'm 2nd Lt. and tbh its not much harder to find a game on fp then on RE. I play 1cs1 95% of the time. So for low lvl 1vs1 players the patch seems to be nice. Tbh I don't even care about the civ changes so much. At least on my lvl it does not matter that much, because I don't know much about match ups in sup anyways. I mostly play the patch for the awesome map pool.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

incog wrote:You can host a rated game on Deccan though on the EP.

Late game is something is imbalanced for sure but it''d be unrealistic to try to balance that (and against civilization design). Similarly, Japan and Sioux aren''t OP civs (in team that''s another story but you now have Ports and Dutch in there as well) so can''t justify nerfing them.

I don''t think that low level acceptance is due to the actual game changes (which were minimalistic), it''s that people of those level have a hard time finding games. Though that''s kind of UNDER Pr25, I''ve had lots of 1st Lt join my games.

you can host a rated game deccan on Re patch. And that''s exactly the point, what a 2nd lt deccan player views is op isn''t what everyone else views as op
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Post by Papist »

gibson wrote:
incog wrote:You can host a rated game on Deccan though on the EP.

Late game is something is imbalanced for sure but itd be unrealistic to try to balance that (and against civilization design). Similarly, Japan and Sioux arent OP civs (in team thats another story but you now have Ports and Dutch in there as well) so cant justify nerfing them.

I dont think that low level acceptance is due to the actual game changes (which were minimalistic), its that people of those level have a hard time finding games. Though thats kind of UNDER Pr25, Ive had lots of 1st Lt join my games.
you can host a rated game deccan on Re patch. And thats exactly the point, what a 2nd lt deccan player views is op isnt what everyone else views as op
To be fair, the balance on Deccan is wildly different than on say, Great Plains. The extra crates and easy-to-wall chokes, reduce the viability of rushes (though Aztec puma side rush is sadly still a thing). So when a 2nd lieut on Deccan says something is OP, he is not completely wrong, he is just not familiar with the more mainstream system of civ balance.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

papist wrote:
gibson wrote:you can host a rated game deccan on Re patch. And thats exactly the point, what a 2nd lt deccan player views is op isnt what everyone else views as op
To be fair, the balance on Deccan is wildly different than on say, Great Plains. The extra crates and easy-to-wall chokes, reduce the viability of rushes (though Aztec puma side rush is sadly still a thing). So when a 2nd lieut on Deccan says something is OP, he is not completely wrong, he is just not familiar with the more mainstream system of civ balance.

yes a 3x3 deccan has a whole different balance, which is not what the fan patch was directed at, which is why lower level players arent getting it
No Flag adderbrain5
Lancer

Post by adderbrain5 »

zoom wrote:
hi1221 wrote:Mac support would garner more people.
This is being worked on. We are expecting OSX functionality within a few weeks.

damn are you telling me im going back on eso. Xd?
Well you dont mean the whole game just the patch for the wrapper/skins that already exist right?
No Flag musketjr
Lancer

Post by musketjr »

irr3alist wrote:Also... let''s all try to be a bit more like veni / aizamk.

meaning that we should be more helpful and understanding towards lower ranking players -->' thus creating a new community base instead of just PR hungry level 26+ trying to get to the next level. Imo if we all spend more attentive helpful care to the ranks below us they will become soon your own level and ergo : more games on fp.
im not getting how the new patch is about gaining pr. better maps ''n all that makes the game better for everyone

are you doing your teamgames on the fanpatch? if not why not
Netherlands irr3alist
Dragoon
Donator 05

Post by irr3alist »

if u dont get it then thats basically what I'm referring to. The 1v1 republican bubble so to speak. Do u want a great intense match at ur skill level or do u want a broader playerbase and community. You should then work at that and share more with 1st lts like Aiz does.
I remember the msn zone lobby with lots of different levels mixed together. With a lot less flaming as well.
No Flag Wuangaga
Lancer

Post by Wuangaga »

It just wouldn't be fun for 1st lt's to play against such high level players. Aiz is an exception here because he does pretty weird builds that provide interesting games. It's generally more fun to have a great intense match at your skill level then stomping/getting stomped by another player that is way better/worse than you.
Hosting unrateds for lower players as a colonel or brigadier won't help for increasing the playerbase anyways. Almost every 1v1 player that aims for improving in the game is already playing the ESOC patch and everything that's left are the the players under PR17 and the 3v3 deccan players which simply don't have a reason to join the patch because they only play deccan, they don't meet a lot of cheaters and 3v3 deccan balances itself until the point where the late game is reached.
No Flag musketjr
Lancer

Post by musketjr »

irr3alist wrote:if u dont get it then thats basically what I''m referring to. The 1v1 republican bubble so to speak. Do u want a great intense match at ur skill level or do u want a broader playerbase and community. You should then work at that and share more with 1st lts like Aiz does.
I remember the msn zone lobby with lots of different levels mixed together. With a lot less flaming as well.
the patch just improves the game. it really doesnt matter what pr you are, if the maps are better the game is better. on EP you can pick team maps and basically everything is playable. compare that to RE where you cycle between 3/4 maps at most

as for 1v1, what? i''m playing team mostly on the fan patch
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

irr3alist wrote:if u dont get it then thats basically what I''m referring to. The 1v1 republican bubble so to speak. Do u want a great intense match at ur skill level or do u want a broader playerbase and community. You should then work at that and share more with 1st lts like Aiz does.

on the contrary, we''re trying to understand and set up things so that it''s good for everyone. the EP is balanced towards competitive 1v1 in terms of balance changes, but the rest is meant for everyone
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

There's just absolutely no reason for the average 3x3 deccan ms or 2nd lt to download something that is gonna be irrelevant for his play......
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

wuangaga wrote:It just wouldn''t be fun for 1st lt''s to play against such high level players. Aiz is an exception here because he does pretty weird builds that provide interesting games. It''s generally more fun to have a great intense match at your skill level then stomping/getting stomped by another player that is way better/worse than you.
Hosting unrateds for lower players as a colonel or brigadier won''t help for increasing the playerbase anyways. Almost every 1v1 player that aims for improving in the game is already playing the ESOC patch and everything that''s left are the the players under PR17 and the 3v3 deccan players which simply don''t have a reason to join the patch because they only play deccan, they don''t meet a lot of cheaters and 3v3 deccan balances itself until the point where the late game is reached.

If only players left on the re are ms who only play deccan that means that every lt up are on the ep which is very nice
And then MS who''d want to improve would go to the fp, so deccan 3v3 players would have to go to the fp to find games etc...
And then everybody would be playing the fp at the end.

That seems quite irrealistic but the only reason why it isn t happening is because some people think like you that it is a patch for hl players or don''t know about the patch.
So just tell your friends to go to the fp and if everybody does like you, that''ll work ')
Great Britain samwise12
Pro Player
Summer 2015 winner
ESO: Samwise12

Post by samwise12 »

gibson wrote:There''s just absolutely no reason for the average 3x3 deccan ms or 2nd lt to download something that is gonna be irrelevant for his play......
There is a reason, 10+ good team maps on EP. Surely they must get bored of playing the same map everygame.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

I spoke to a 1st or 2nd lt and he said he would only switch if there were new civs or sth.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

jerom wrote:I spoke to a 1st or 2nd lt and he said he would only switch if there were new civs or sth.
Not goona happen.
If all his friends switch on the ep, I''m sure he''ll switch though.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

diarouga wrote:
jerom wrote:I spoke to a 1st or 2nd lt and he said he would only switch if there were new civs or sth.
Not goona happen.
If all his friends switch on the ep, Im sure hell switch though.
yeah, he seemed particulary stubborn though.
No Flag Wuangaga
Lancer

Post by Wuangaga »

diarouga wrote:
wuangaga wrote:It just wouldnt be fun for 1st lts to play against such high level players. Aiz is an exception here because he does pretty weird builds that provide interesting games. Its generally more fun to have a great intense match at your skill level then stomping/getting stomped by another player that is way better/worse than you.
Hosting unrateds for lower players as a colonel or brigadier wont help for increasing the playerbase anyways. Almost every 1v1 player that aims for improving in the game is already playing the ESOC patch and everything thats left are the the players under PR17 and the 3v3 deccan players which simply dont have a reason to join the patch because they only play deccan, they dont meet a lot of cheaters and 3v3 deccan balances itself until the point where the late game is reached.
If only players left on the re are ms who only play deccan that means that every lt up are on the ep which is very nice
And then MS whod want to improve would go to the fp, so deccan 3v3 players would have to go to the fp to find games etc...

That seems quite irrealistic but the only reason why it isn t happening is because some people think like you that it is a patch for hl players or dont know about the patch.
So just tell your friends to go to the fp and if everybody does like you, thatll work ')
Did you ever took a close look on the game browser? Its mostly like 50% treaty 20% teamgames 20% 1v1 from always the same people that play the same civ over and over again and the rest are scenarios and comp stomps.
As gibson already said the deccan players wont leave their patch, if id have to guess id say there are like 100 active dedicated 3v3 deccan players, so there will be at least one game for them most of the time.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

samwise12 wrote:
gibson wrote:Theres just absolutely no reason for the average 3x3 deccan ms or 2nd lt to download something that is gonna be irrelevant for his play......
There is a reason, 10+ good team maps on EP. Surely they must get bored of playing the same map everygame.
Being a high level player, I dont think you completely understand the mentality of the low level deccan players. Deccan is a unique map for several reasons. You start with extra crates, this means that any civ can start all vils on food and not have to deal with the complex macro of having to gather different resources in age I. Second, it has choke points that can be easily walled. This gives lower level players a sense of security, they can go full eco, build 3 town centers right next to each other within their walls and make mills and plantations without the fear that 40 musk will walk into their base, siege down their town centers, causing them to resign. Deccan also has an enormous amount of hunts, berries, and gold starting right around your base. Low level players love this, because it means they dont have to transition to mills and plantations as quickly. All these things come together to make the perfect map for a low level player. The reason they never play other maps is not because the other maps are unbalanced, but because they dont have chokes, start with extra resources, or have many resources in base. Even if you could get them on EP, they would continue to play deccan the exact same way, so the changes on EP wouldnt be relevant to them generally.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

wuangaga wrote:
diarouga wrote:If only players left on the re are ms who only play deccan that means that every lt up are on the ep which is very nice
And then MS whod want to improve would go to the fp, so deccan 3v3 players would have to go to the fp to find games etc...

That seems quite irrealistic but the only reason why it isn t happening is because some people think like you that it is a patch for hl players or dont know about the patch.
So just tell your friends to go to the fp and if everybody does like you, thatll work ')
Did you ever took a close look on the game browser? Its mostly like 50% treaty 20% teamgames 20% 1v1 from always the same people that play the same civ over and over again and the rest are scenarios and comp stomps.
As gibson already said the deccan players wont leave their patch, if id have to guess id say there are like 100 active dedicated 3v3 deccan players, so there will be at least one game for them most of the time.
People are also qsing lol.
And theres much more sup games than tr games.

I also used to play 3v3 on deccan when I was MS and that was only because that was the only way to find a game.
Out of 100 deccan players, 50 would leave deccan if it was possible.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

gibson wrote:
samwise12 wrote:There is a reason, 10+ good team maps on EP. Surely they must get bored of playing the same map everygame.
Being a high level player, I dont think you completely understand the mentality of the low level deccan players. Deccan is a unique map for several reasons. You start with extra crates, this means that any civ can start all vils on food and not have to deal with the complex macro of having to gather different resources in age I. Second, it has choke points that can be easily walled. This gives lower level players a sense of security, they can go full eco, build 3 town centers right next to each other within their walls and make mills and plantations without the fear that 40 musk will walk into their base, siege down their town centers, causing them to resign. Deccan also has an enormous amount of hunts, berries, and gold starting right around your base. Low level players love this, because it means they dont have to transition to mills and plantations as quickly. All these things come together to make the perfect map for a low level player. The reason they never play other maps is not because the other maps are unbalanced, but because they dont have chokes, start with extra resources, or have many resources in base. Even if you could get them on EP, they would continue to play deccan the exact same way, so the changes on EP wouldnt be relevant to them generally.

again though, that has to be boring. its like going to grocery shopping with a ferrari. AoE3 is so much more than one map and secure resources
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.