ESOC new UI?

France iNcog
Ninja

ESOC new UI?

Post by iNcog »

Helloo,

I've been having this idea in my floating around for a bit now, decided to open the topic. I was wondering if we (the community / the EP team) could come up with a NEW custom UI. This would come with the patch itself, as part of the package.

This is a quality-of-life suggestion and not a particularly important suggestion or anything. The idea is that it freshens up the UI a bit to make it more functional / cooler. It would be another incentive to play the ESOC patch for lower-level (or reticent) players.

What are your thoughts? There are a few UIs out there which are really good (Qaz's and Ekanta's), though they aren't perfect. For example I feel that the production queue for Ekanta's UI could be put at the top of the UI rather than at the bottom. What do you suggest? Is there anything you would modify on the current standard small UI?
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Re: ESOC new UI?

Post by Jaeger »

I think it's very possible that that might discourage use of the patch more than encourage it.
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
No Flag purplesquid
Dragoon
Donator 03

Post by purplesquid »

I agree with Ovi. Now integrating Aiz's ui (perhaps as an option on start up) could be useful for those who cast. . .
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

ovi12 wrote:I think it's very possible that that might discourage use of the patch more than encourage it.

If you make it an install option it shouldnt right?

I think the ekanta UI with the unit queue in the middle on top, and the middle part of the UI minimized even more, possibly with the removal of all these useless little functionalities, would be a superior UI.
No Flag Hagi
Dragoon

Post by Hagi »

Good idea, but it might do more harm than good, unless you manage to make the UI fully customable.
Spain yoqpasa
Lancer
ESO: yoqpasa

Post by yoqpasa »

If you eventually do it I think it shouldn't be attached to EP, maybe many people playing on EP likes official UI (probably I'm in this group), or people on RE could be interested in it too.

France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Adding ekanta etc isn't a good idea imo.
Making a spectator mode would be nice though.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

I'm surprised that people wouldn't be interested in an upgraded UI but if that's how it works then obviously this is a bad idea. kek :p
Garja wrote:
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

iNcog wrote:I'm surprised that people wouldn't be interested in an upgraded UI but if that's how it works then obviously this is a bad idea. kek :p

People dont like change it seems :p
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Post by musketeer925 »

Would you guys be interested in a dropdown like this following?

Could have things like Ekanta, Obs UI, and others if you guys suggest them and there is interest.
Palestine Mimsy for President
Jaeger

Post by Mimsy for President »

I just want speed info. Nothing more, nothing less <3
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

musketeer925 wrote:Would you guys be interested in a dropdown like this following?

Could have things like Ekanta, Obs UI, and others if you guys suggest them and there is interest.

Given that you have to uninstall/install the obs UI right now, a menu like that would be extremely valuable I think. (I actually have suggested this before so you better not claim its your own idea :p)
France Rikikipu
Retired Contributor
ESO: p-of

Post by Rikikipu »

The main problem with the UI is that, a custom UI is still considered as a cheat (i remembered H20 talking about it in his stream). That's why for instance, UI's weren't allowed for tourneys.
But what about getting a better/HD user interface when you are online on eso servers (seeing games, talking with people etc) ? I think that images and design there look so old....
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Rikikipu wrote:The main problem with the UI is that, a custom UI is still considered as a cheat (i remembered H20 talking about it in his stream). That's why for instance, UI's weren't allowed for tourneys.
But what about getting a better/HD user interface when you are online on eso servers (seeing games, talking with people etc) ? I think that images and design there look so old....

UI's were never not allowed for tourneys though.
Jaeger

EDIT Speech is silver, silence is golden.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Mimsy for President wrote:
Jerom wrote:
Rikikipu wrote:The main problem with the UI is that, a custom UI is still considered as a cheat (i remembered H20 talking about it in his stream). That's why for instance, UI's weren't allowed for tourneys.

UI's were never not allowed for tourneys though.

They were allowed.
"3.2 - Exploits include but are not limited to: Map Hacks, Trainers, Explorer Revival Glitch, OOS / Intentional Lag (Stacked downloads or other game crashing exploits), and mods (building rotator, zoom modification)."

Which is exactly what I said, right?

What does trainers even mean haha? Are you not allowed to get a mental coach or hire someone to do finger exercises with? :p
Jaeger

Jerom wrote:
Mimsy for President wrote:
Show hidden quotes

They were allowed.
"3.2 - Exploits include but are not limited to: Map Hacks, Trainers, Explorer Revival Glitch, OOS / Intentional Lag (Stacked downloads or other game crashing exploits), and mods (building rotator, zoom modification)."

Which is exactly what I said, right?

What does trainers even mean haha? Are you not allowed to get a mental coach or hire someone to do finger exercises with? :p

fixed.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

I think if there were UI options that would be okay but I wouldn't be a fan of switching the standard UI.
mad cuz bad
No Flag thebritish
Jaeger

Post by thebritish »

Can you remove the icons from training queue (down left) and put them at top left, and also add icons for the factories?
krichk wrote: For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge thebritish
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

musketeer925 wrote:Would you guys be interested in a dropdown like this following?

What would be nice is a spectator mode with aiz UIs, that way you wouldn't have to install it
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

this is a pretty nice tease~

i'd be interested in it personally

could even throw in different UIs for people who want something different (keep standard as default)
Garja wrote:
No Flag thebritish
Jaeger

Post by thebritish »

thebritish wrote:Can you remove the icons from training queue (down left) and put them at top left, and also add icons for the factories?

i have a suggestion too :cry:
krichk wrote: For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge thebritish
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

I think this was a good idea actually. Too bad the response was so low. AOE3 does have an antiquated UI by today's gamedev standards. Don't trust me, check out the UIs from other games, RTSs or not and see how much more efficient they can be. Some even allow you to customise the scale of the UI, so you can make it as small or big as you want, remove features, add features, etc. Obviously, some of these things couldn't be achieved in AOE3 because of how the AOE3 UI was programmed. So, the only way to offer customisation choices is to have two different layouts for the maximised and minimised UIs.

How you design the UI layout though is pretty much up to you, you can optimise it in any way you want, as long as you keep mostly the same features. Heck, if you have some people who can do graphical design, you can even create new art for it and refresh the UI completely. Or recycle the old game assets to do that. Your imagination is the limit.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

I know right. Buuut if it's not popular then NVM!
Garja wrote:
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

Great idea. 9/10 Garjas.