Mercenaries rebalancing

Serbia Atomiswave
Lancer

Mercenaries rebalancing

Post by Atomiswave »

Does ep team plan to reabalance mercenaries? In current state some are GREAT, and some are total crap.
United States of America Durokan
Retired Contributor
ESO: Durokan

Re: Mercenaries rebalancing

Post by Durokan »

Judging by their current policies of minimal changes; no. This is not an official statement of course, but it seems a little far out for how conservative the team has been so far.

I agree that it would be cool for the game but it doesn't seem very high up on the priority list for the team.
Check out my Custom Map Workshop here!
http://eso-community.net/viewtopic.php?p=98718#top
United States of America lesllamas
Lancer

Post by lesllamas »

I think it would be kind of cool if they buffed units like corsairs, arsonists, landsknechts maybe, and elmetis. I'm of the opinion that pieces of the game that are never used should absolutely be looked at as opportunities to add variety to the competitive landscape.
United States of America lesllamas
Lancer

Post by lesllamas »

I think giving Fusiliers a cost and range buff, for example, would make them extremely decent options for civs like Dutch. 5.5 speed, 70 ranged x 1.5 vs ranged cav, but they only have 12 range and cost 300 coin (while highlanders cost 200) from the saloon. I would definitely buy a 14 range version of that unit for 200 coin. The limiting factor would be the amount of coin on the map, which is a very real concern.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

Apart from Elmeti not needing a buff. I completely agree with you lesllamer, but unfortunately it's not within the scope of the patch at this time. Hopefully it will be in the future.
Serbia Atomiswave
Lancer

Post by Atomiswave »

lesllamas wrote:I think it would be kind of cool if they buffed units like corsairs, arsonists, landsknechts maybe, and elmetis. I'm of the opinion that pieces of the game that are never used should absolutely be looked at as opportunities to add variety to the competitive landscape.

My thoughts exactly, especially when it comes to card mercs. Some civs have great options, some bad or not so good.
Canada forgrin
Howdah
ESO: Forgrin

Post by forgrin »

There are some mercs that are good already, like Black Riders/Jaegars/Manchu/Mams. The main issue is that some mercs are just bad unit types in Fortress, like Ronin, but are quite decent stat-wise. These just need some buffs to make them more viable, like higher speed. Other units like highlanders are really good, just lose to skirms. Others, like corsair's etc, just have crap stats for their cost on top of the unit type issues.

Remedy: make some smaller merc cards available in Colonial (like 4-5 highlanders for 500g etc). Improve the speed of the halb-like mercs to make them more viable in Fortress.

BTW, play around with Ronin in scenario vs sowars, it's hilarious (spoiler, 5 Ronin beat like 70-80 sowar handily).
https://www.twitch.tv/forgin14

"WTF WHERE ARE MY 10 FALCS" - AraGun_OP
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Viable mercenaries are nothing but problematic. Civs are designed in a way that they are balanced with the tools at their proposal. If you give them acces to better tools that might completely destroy any existing balance. For example, germany is designed around having shitty anticav (ww are really meh). Itd be quite gamebreaking if they could consistently get a good anticav unit in the saloon.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Atomiswave wrote:Does ep team plan to reabalance mercenaries? In current state some are GREAT, and some are total crap.

Let's make children together plz. You can even be the male

lesllamas wrote:I think it would be kind of cool if they buffed units like corsairs, arsonists, landsknechts maybe, and elmetis. I'm of the opinion that pieces of the game that are never used should absolutely be looked at as opportunities to add variety to the competitive landscape.

Elmetis are really good stats wise, just useless because available only in industrial. If I can choose between elmetis and mams, I would prod elmetis all day, seeing their stats.
Corsairs are also really good as a rodelero, they shouldn't be better than that. The problem is just hand infantry being crap overall because of musks, skirms and goons (with proper kiting) being really strong units.

Jerom wrote:Viable mercenaries are nothing but problematic. Civs are designed in a way that they are balanced with the tools at their proposal. If you give them acces to better tools that might completely destroy any existing balance. For example, germany is designed around having shitty anticav (ww are really meh). Itd be quite gamebreaking if they could consistently get a good anticav unit in the saloon.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Nobody said we had to get fixed mercs in the saloon in this thread right ? They just want bad mercs to be buffed. There is absolutely no way germany gets better anti cav than right now from saloon : manchus are OP and black riders are almost as good, so they won't be buffed ; highlanders are very good too so they won't be buffed either. The only anti cav units from saloon that could (very) arguably be buffed are corsairs and swiss pikes, but realistically people still wouldn't make them because they are hand infantry in fortress. So I can't see germany getting op anti cav for example.

And it's true for more or less any civ, because the mercs that could be buffed are lansknechts / swiss pikes / corsairs (hand inf), arsonists (grens), ninjas (spy), fusiliers / Lil bombard (age 4 mercs) => all useless units anyway. So buffing those shitty mercs wouldn't really matter tbh
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

Just let the player know at the start of every game witch mercs are in the saloon in this specif game... that would already be huge, since you could do a build order/game plan, intending on going for saloon/monastery mercs as part of that...

the way it is now is just "fuck, I have no hunts, better build a saloon and do whatever is there.."
No Flag Einfein
Dragoon

Post by Einfein »

Jerom wrote:Viable mercenaries are nothing but problematic. Civs are designed in a way that they are balanced with the tools at their proposal. If you give them acces to better tools that might completely destroy any existing balance. For example, germany is designed around having shitty anticav (ww are really meh). Itd be quite gamebreaking if they could consistently get a good anticav unit in the saloon.

I agree with most of this, but was thinking that perhaps instead of buffing certain mercs, just adjusting their coin cost (I'm speaking about card mercs) might make them a more intriguing option? I realize that mercs cost 1000g for a reason, but some are clearly not worth that much. Bringing the cost down on specific mercenary card might make them viable despite having the same stats. Their cost/benefit would be increased.
"He's just got more stuff, and sometimes just having more stuff, despite the fact you have better positioning or better micro just doesn't matter because sometimes when you just got more stuff you just win the game." - ZutaZuta
No Flag thebritish
Jaeger

Post by thebritish »

Giving merc imperial upgrade could give chance for civs without certain units to compete with other civs.
For example, Highlanders for Dutch and Germany...
krichk wrote: For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge thebritish
Canada forgrin
Howdah

Post by forgrin »

thebritish wrote:Giving merc imperial upgrade could give chance for civs without certain units to compete with other civs.

Do you mean in NR40?

France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

forgrin wrote:
thebritish wrote:Giving merc imperial upgrade could give chance for civs without certain units to compete with other civs.

Do you mean in NR40?

If you never go imperial age it just means you don't play people of your level... Try to play people of your rank and you will see you go imperial every game, and then you can see how useful it is to have imperial highlanders.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Canada forgrin
Howdah

Post by forgrin »

Kaiserklein wrote:
forgrin wrote:

Do you mean in NR40?

If you never go imperial age it just means you don't play people of your level... Try to play people of your rank and you will see you go imperial every game, and then you can see how useful it is to have imperial highlanders.

I play ports, obviously I go to imperial every game :/ sheesh. What's the point if you don't get genitours?

France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

forgrin wrote:
Kaiserklein wrote:
Show hidden quotes

I play ports, obviously I go to imperial every game :/ sheesh. What's the point if you don't get genitours?

Who needs genitours if you can get imperial black riders ?
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Kaiser is trolling btw, just in case you havent noticed.
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

tbh some mercs are too strong, particularly with the merc combat card from germany, and better merc shipments
No Flag thebritish
Jaeger

Post by thebritish »

Hazza54321 wrote:tbh some mercs are too strong, particularly with the merc combat card from germany, and better merc shipments

Jaegers arent cost effective to be used in Imperial age.
They have roughly 25% better stats than skirms and cost atleast 50% more resources
krichk wrote: For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge thebritish
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

thebritish wrote:
Hazza54321 wrote:tbh some mercs are too strong, particularly with the merc combat card from germany, and better merc shipments

Jaegers arent cost effective to be used in Imperial age.
They have roughly 25% better stats than skirms and cost atleast 50% more resources

That's why we need imperial jaegers
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

You are not meant to train mercenaries in late game lol.
No Flag thebritish
Jaeger

Post by thebritish »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:You are not meant to train mercenaries in late game lol.

Then why they arent disabled when i hit Imperial age?
United States of America iCourt
Retired Contributor
ESO: iCourt

Post by iCourt »

Ronin should at least upgrade so they can fight against Hatamotos, especially since one takes a card just to train them and the other is just free export... :P

Besides banished Ronin Samurai are way cooler than loyal ones according to every anime I've seen.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

thebritish wrote:

Do you train veteran pikes in imperial age ? Are they disabled ?
Use your brain sometimes
No Flag thebritish
Jaeger

Post by thebritish »

Kaiserklein wrote:
thebritish wrote:

Do you train veteran pikes in imperial age ? Are they disabled ?
Use your brain sometimes

Whenever i play with Spain, i always make pikes (imperial).
Also, musketeers are better anticav than pikes.