hotkey stuff

No Flag sowemeetagain
Crossbow

hotkey stuff

Post by sowemeetagain »

important: Is it possible to set up the hotkeys for "grid"?

important: can you add a hotkey that temporarily (while held down) switches "military drag only" to "civilian drag only"?

unimportant: Could you make it so villagers have a "normal unit" command menu on the bottom right with an additional "buildings" button?
France iNcog
Ninja

Re: hotkey stuff

Post by iNcog »

sowemeetagain wrote:important: Is it possible to set up the hotkeys for "grid"?

important: can you add a hotkey that temporarily (while held down) switches "military drag only" to "civilian drag only"?

unimportant: Could you make it so villagers have a "normal unit" command menu on the bottom right with an additional "buildings" button?

Not sure what you mean about grid.

As of right now, if you have military drag selection on, holding down "alt" will allow you to also select villagers.

As for villagers, they don't use formations anyway, so they would not have a "normal unit" command menu.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

For the first just manually rebind your hotkeys so that they match each civ production grid.
For the second, as Incog said just use "alt".
For the third that's not really possible without modding. Would be cool to control vills like military units (attack move, melee mode, etc.)
Image Image Image
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

Garja wrote:Would be cool to control vills like military units (attack move, melee mode, etc.)

But I think it's more cool when it's so hard to do manually and you see someone do it efficiently :P
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

Garja wrote:

For the first just manually rebind your hotkeys so that they match each civ production grid.

sadly thats not possible, since the same unit will ocupy a diferent slot in each civ... so you can set grid only for one civ, the others will be messed up.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Hmm, true. Well then do like I do, associate each key to one unit type, e.g "S" for skirms, cassas, wakina, forest prowlers, etc. Isn't like the grid but I don't see you remembering each civ production grid anyway.
Image Image Image
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

Garja wrote:Hmm, true. Well then do like I do, associate each key to one unit type, e.g "S" for skirms, cassas, wakina, forest prowlers, etc. Isn't like the grid but I don't see you remembering each civ production grid anyway.

probably the best way..
I used Grid a lot in starcraft, its good because even if you dont remember where something is in the grid, you can quickly glance at it, and you already know the hotkey by the position, much faster then clicking...

in aoe I use something similar to you..
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

I do what Garja does, I don't see the difference between THAT and the grid though.

I have skirm type units on E, hussar type units on S, dragoons on D, etc.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Tonga sdsanft
Howdah
ESO: sdsanft

Post by sdsanft »

I just use the default hotkeys. S for skirm, S for huss, M for muskets, D for goons and C for cuirassier. Works fine for me.

Site: Be there or be square
Jakey: I'm square because I'm not around
No Flag sowemeetagain
Crossbow

Post by sowemeetagain »

iNcog wrote:I do what Garja does, I don't see the difference between THAT and the grid though.

I have skirm type units on E, hussar type units on S, dragoons on D, etc.

different civs have different units
so for say ottomans they have janissaries in the place that germany has crossbowmen
No Flag briowl
Dragoon

Post by briowl »

sowemeetagain wrote:so for say ottomans they have janissaries in the place that germany has crossbowmen

I map the 'grid' using Autohotkey, but I don't map the whole grid, which I believe is 6 columns x rows 3, just the top left 4 x 2. Based on max resolution, minimised panel and UK keyboard layout. The code i use is below although you may need to adjust the coordinates. I like it because you don't have to remember letters or stretch your hand.

#NoEnv ; Recommended for performance and compatibility with future AutoHotkey releases.
; #Warn ; Enable warnings to assist with detecting common errors.
SendMode Input ; Recommended for new scripts due to its superior speed and reliability.
SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir% ; Ensures a consistent starting directory.

q::
MouseGetPos, xpos, ypos
Click, left, 1092, 652
MouseMove, xpos , ypos
Return

a::
MouseGetPos, xpos, ypos
Click, left, 1092, 687
MouseMove, xpos , ypos
Return

w::
MouseGetPos, xpos, ypos
Click, left, 1141, 652
MouseMove, xpos , ypos
Return

s::
MouseGetPos, xpos, ypos
Click, left, 1141, 693
MouseMove, xpos , ypos
Return

e::
MouseGetPos, xpos, ypos
Click, left, 1188, 651
MouseMove, xpos , ypos
Return

d::
MouseGetPos, xpos, ypos
Click, left, 1188, 684
MouseMove, xpos , ypos
Return

r::
MouseGetPos, xpos, ypos
Click, left, 1239, 651
MouseMove, xpos , ypos
Return

f::
MouseGetPos, xpos, ypos
Click, left, 1239, 690
MouseMove, xpos , ypos
Return
No Flag sowemeetagain
Crossbow

Post by sowemeetagain »

briowl wrote:
sowemeetagain wrote:so for say ottomans they have janissaries in the place that germany has crossbowmen

I map the 'grid' using Autohotkey, but I don't map the whole grid, which I believe is 6 columns x rows 3, just the top left 4 x 2. Based on max resolution, minimized panel and UK keyboard layout. The code i use is below although you may need to adjust the coordinates. I like it because you don't have to remember letters or stretch your hand.

***snip***

I never used autohotkey - so far I understand it's a separate program you run in the background and it does... something? to your hotkeys. How does it work, would you be willing to write about it, maybe provide your whole customization for it, in the "user created content" area?

cheers
No Flag sowemeetagain
Crossbow

Post by sowemeetagain »

Garja wrote:

For the second, as Incog said just use "alt".
For the third that's not really possible without modding. Would be cool to control vills like military units (attack move, melee mode, etc.)

1) impossible. example: musketeers are in different spots for different civs.
2) does not work as the thing I want. it only turns off military drag only and turns it into "drag all", but NOT "drag civ only"
3) yes, would be cool. would work with modding. it's a fan patch. do eeeet
No Flag briowl
Dragoon

Post by briowl »

sowemeetagain wrote:I never used autohotkey - so far I understand it's a separate program you run in the background and it does... something? to your hotkeys. How does it work, would you be willing to write about it, maybe provide your whole customization for it, in the "user created content" area?

cheers

It's very simple. Yes, it allows you to create custom hotkeys that mimic input from your keyboard and/or mouse.

All you do is goto https://autohotkey.com/ download and install autohotkey. Make an autohotkey file using the .ahk extension. Then cut and paste the code above into that file (you can use a text editor such as Notepad). Run the AHK file as administrator.

If your settings are the same as mine above

Then... for example if you have your TC selected, pressing q will queue a vill, w will call minutemen, e will ransom your explorer, a will queue the age-up, s will revolt, d will set homecity spawn point etc

Untitled1.png

But if you have your explorer selected, q will build TC, w will build TP, e will train doggie, a will crackshot etc
Untitled2.png

So essentially whatever you have selected anything in the top left 4 columns by 2 rows of that grid is available via q,w,e,r, a,s,d,f

Obviously however you will not be able to type messages in chat, but I get around that by mapping to my tartarus

Alternatively you could add code to toggle the hotkeys on and off, but I just prefer the keypad

I hope this helps