map issues

Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Re: map issues

Post by momuuu »

We're a little bit thin on developers I think, Adam, H2O and 91 did so much work for us. Let's hope Buckethead won't suffer the same fate.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

Jonatas would not dare krossing the Mankl!

Join me in saying the Lord's Prayer:

Our Mankl on ESOC,
hallowed be your name.
Your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on ESO, as it is on ESOC.
Give us this day our daily Mankl-tilt,
and forgive us our RE games,
as we also have forgiven Garja.
And lead us not into quicksearch,
but deliver us from Moesbar.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Aman Aman
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote: ā†‘
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

iNcog wrote:The biggest problem is that the level of support ESOC is trying to do is approaching levels where the people working on the project quickly find themselves investing massive amounts of time. That time is time not spent enjoying AoE3 or doing other, more fun things.

I'd rather they slow down the pacing a little. Focus on making what we already have super good.

Issue with that is that often times, 50% of the effort in a project is spent on the last 10% of the work.

Community needs to be more understanding of the team and the team needs to reallocate the work-load (amongst themselves or others) so that everyone doesn't have to go for a second full-time job (which doesn't pay, but puts you in the way of constant criticism, lol). That's partly what happened to H2O, Musketeer925 and 91.

tl;dr fuck off you drips

As far as I remember, you were the one to insist on releasing the patch ASAP so that you can finally play :twisted:
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Well I think that implementing balance changes is something which can be relatively straightforward and quick to do, especially since the framework which Musketeer925 left behind is probably very solid.

The difference here is releasing a ton of new maps and/or working on new features, etc. The more maps you release, the more support you need behind to avoid potential issues, for example.

In hindsight, with the state of ESO, it was probably better not to release the patch anyway.
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Post by _H2O »

i have had missing cliff spawn on colorado as well
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Yeah the Hudson TP line is very often unfair. Also the gold mine you should have on top on your base sometimes doesn't spawn.
And on arkansas hunts spawn is very random, it can go from 2 to 4 hunts herdable to your tc I think.

The maps are very good overall but sometimes there are mapscrews ; tbh i'd rather see less new maps (there already are a lot) and no mapscrews
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: ķŒ€ ķ•˜ģš°ģŠ¤

Post by n0el »

Unfortunately I don't think its ever possible to not have a map screw, its just the way the game is coded.
mad cuz bad
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

Ofc you can't have 0% mapscrews. But hudson is the only map with a varying number of available TPs, so I'm pretty sure it can be fixed.
Same for the goldmines, some maps almost always have all mines perfectly spawned, for example I never got screwed on high plains (despite playing on it a lot). Whereas on hudson, I'd say you miss the top mine like 1/4 of games, I'm sure this could be fixed as well. Same for arkansas hunts
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

You don't get screwed on Guinea since everything is fixed anyway.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

I confirm, sometimes on Hudson the TPs are 'random' in terms of access and on Arkansas the hunts can be pretty bad.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

Yeah, and these issues mean that those maps aren't really competitive... At least you can rehost when you lack hunts on arkansas, but on hudson if you have 2 tps available while your opponent has 4 you won't know it until you want to build them
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06

Post by _H2O »

The map team strategically said no purely fixed maps. Some are more fixed than others though. Manchuria mines are fixed for example. Colorado trade route is fixed. This game would get stale much faster if there was no randomization. Plus handling those differences is a skill in this game.
Italy arcangelusregis
Skirmisher

Post by arcangelusregis »

i agree.. they should be just like sc2 maps
One day i'll be Colonel, you will play with me, and you'll lose
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

Ofc we need maps not to be 100% fixed, and it is a skill to adapt to the map, but I think one guy having 2 tps available and the other guy having 4 tps available is much too imbalanced... It means that one guy could get only 2 tps stagecoach, even if he has a massive mapcontrol, while he expected to have 4. When we practiced ger vs spain with diarouga for example, and he did some stagecoach build, he was lucky to have 4 tps sometimes, but he could as well have been screwed with only 2 tps, how is that balanced ? In a tourney game if you click in for the mu ger vs spain on hudson, having atp boom in mind, then sending atp 2nd card before realizing when you want to build tps that you can take only 2... It can just cost you the game really. Or even in ger vs azzie match up, if i can build my tp under his base on hudson, it's really good because if he fb he will be really far from that tp ; but sometimes I can, sometimes I can't ?
Great Britain britishmusketeer
Howdah

Post by britishmusketeer »

I personally think there should be a few fixed perfectly balanced maps with no treasures.
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06

Post by _H2O »

Maps are not perfect but they are miles better in design than old maps. I don't think mAps is an area of improvement for ESOC tbh.
United States of America Darwin_
Howdah

Post by Darwin_ »

_H2O wrote:Maps are not perfect but they are miles better in design than old maps. I don't think mAps is an area of improvement for ESOC tbh.

That may be true, but it would probably take Garja, Rikkikipu, or Durokan a few hours to fix the blaring mistakes in Arkansas, Klondike and Cascade.
somppukunkku wrote:This is not a fucking discogame.
United States of America Durokan
Retired Contributor
ESO: Durokan

Post by Durokan »

britishmusketeer wrote:I personally think there should be a few fixed perfectly balanced maps with no treasures.

I can upload one if you want. I will call it plains, because that's what it looks like :)

Also somewhere over on my map workshop there is a map that Jerom asked me to do that mimics Xel Naga Caverns from starcraft. it's pretty sweet
Check out my Custom Map Workshop here!
http://eso-community.net/viewtopic.php?p=98718#top
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Durokan wrote:
britishmusketeer wrote:I personally think there should be a few fixed perfectly balanced maps with no treasures.

I can upload one if you want. I will call it plains, because that's what it looks like :)

Also somewhere over on my map workshop there is a map that Jerom asked me to do that mimics Xel Naga Caverns from starcraft. it's pretty sweet

I still have to go over that map to give some pointers for it. Remind me of it tomorrow pls.
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06

Post by _H2O »

Darwin_ wrote:
_H2O wrote:Maps are not perfect but they are miles better in design than old maps. I don't think mAps is an area of improvement for ESOC tbh.

That may be true, but it would probably take Garja, Rikkikipu, or Durokan a few hours to fix the blaring mistakes in Arkansas, Klondike and Cascade.

The amount of time spent getting those 3 maps to where they are is probably a lot more than you realize. I do not see any glaring mistakes in them.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

They are far better than RE maps that's for sure.
We're all happy to have very good maps, but wouldn't it be better to have perfect maps?
Also it has nothing to do with adaptation, that's like when japs say that they don't play on the EP because they prefer to adapt to RE maps, when you have 2TPs while your opponent has 4, you're just fucked.

And as kaiser said, I would accept some MUs in tourney on a 4 tp map (like spain vs ger for example), while I would rather pick an other civ on a 2 tp map.
The issue isn't that there are different spawns (although it is one imo) but that one player can get 2 more tp.

Also arkansas and kamchatka can have big hunt issues. Sometimes I miss 2 hunts (2 hunts wtf, don't tell me that it's not game).
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Those big hunt issues happen like 10% of times, if you can do better without reducing the randomness you're welcome.
As for Hudson TP it is cause the trade route as random waypoints instead of fixed ones. It's not even that big of a deal but I guess it will be fixed. I don't think you can ever build only 2 posts on Hudson anyway.
Image Image Image
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

It's more like 20-25% tbh.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

Yeah I noticed it quite often. It didn't happen on old arkansas though, why ?