ATP should be nerfed

United States of America Darwin_
Howdah

ATP should be nerfed

Post by Darwin_ »

Title says it all. ATP is currently super lame, and with the new tactic of building the TP's with villagers, it is super hard to deny. Just nerf the HP buff or the Ranged attack or something like that. ATP's are effectively 120w outposts with twice as much HP and it gives you resources. How is that not lame?
somppukunkku wrote:This is not a fucking discogame.
United States of America rickytickitembo
Dragoon
ESO: RickyTickiTembo

Re: ATP should be nerfed

Post by rickytickitembo »

Agreed. TPs should supplement your eco. Not be the basis of it.
My favorite donut is chocolate Aiz.
France P i k i l i c
Howdah
ESO: Pikilic
GameRanger ID: 7497456

Post by P i k i l i c »

I think ATP is cool and brings variety to the game. Unlike outposts, ATP costs a card, the range of the TPs is short, and stagecoach has a cost and takes time to be researched
Consider not the one who speaks the truth, but the truth that is said

:hmm: AoE logic :hmm:
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

I think ATP provides a healthy option (for the civs that can afford to use it) to boost their early economies and adds a lot more depth to those civs and the game. I think the main problem with ATP is that it gives TPs just a bit too much hp, making it really hard to enact any sort of adequate counterplay.

ATP works because it often forces the opponent into a suboptimal counter-build. The opponent ends up spending way more trying to deny control of the TP line than the opponent does by sending ATP and investing all the extra wood into it and stagecoach. If they were easier to kill safely, it would be a differently story.

Unfortunately others don't think the same.
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

Mitoe wrote:I think ATP provides a healthy option (for the civs that can afford to use it) to boost their early economies and adds a lot more depth to those civs and the game. I think the main problem with ATP is that it gives TPs just a bit too much hp, making it really hard to enact any sort of adequate counterplay.

ATP works because it often forces the opponent into a suboptimal counter-build. The opponent ends up spending way more trying to deny control of the TP line than the opponent does by sending ATP and investing all the extra wood into it and stagecoach. If they were easier to kill safely, it would be a differently story.

its op as fuck lol
Germany Akechi_Mitsuhide
Dragoon
ESO: Akechi_Mitsuhide

Post by Akechi_Mitsuhide »

Another reason why ATP is so strong are ESOC Maps. I don't want to start a whole new map discussion as I know that there are other threads for that and that the topic has been extensively discussed.
Still, I'd like to point out that ESOC Maps seem to contain more TPs than standard original maps. I haven't counted it but I think that there are quite some ESOC Maps which contain long routes with 4+ TPs (e.g. High Plains, Arizona) and I think that there are not many original maps with routes with 4+ TPs. Only the high number of TPs makes ATP truly that strong.
United States of America site
Lancer
Donator 01
ESO: site

Post by site »

A think a good way to balance this would to be to introduce some more maps with 0-3 TP's. Of course, this is totally dependent on the map makers. Maybe I should learn to make maps.
Russia yurashic
Howdah
ESO: Yurashic

Post by yurashic »

ATP is fine. If it is nerfed it will only be viable on 5 TP maps like Klondike and High Plains, noone agrees to play those anyway. Just don't put such maps in tournaments.
Germany Akechi_Mitsuhide
Dragoon

site wrote:A think a good way to balance this would to be to introduce some more maps with 0-3 TP's. Of course, this is totally dependent on the map makers. Maybe I should learn to make maps.

It would be super cool to have some Insight Studios Maps for Fight Night! :smile:
Hungary Dsy
Lancer

Post by Dsy »

Yeah atp is fine, just maps shouldnt come with more than 3 tps...
3 tp is also close to an upgraded factory gather rate on wood.
Germany Akechi_Mitsuhide
Dragoon

And these three TPs should all be accessable. Not like on GP where you can only get two TPS.
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player

Post by Hazza54321 »

yurashic wrote:ATP is fine. If it is nerfed it will only be viable on 5 TP maps like Klondike and High Plains, noone agrees to play those anyway. Just don't put such maps in tournaments.

just like iro and otto are bad civs on re?
Canada Mitoe

Post by Mitoe »

There's nothing wrong with maps that have lots of TPs. You're calling the maps broken when it's clearly the card that's the issue. You would never send ATP on a map where you're only likely to be able to build 2 TPs. Just because the card turns out to be good on those maps with lots of TPs doesn't make the maps broken. The card needs some work, that's all there is to it.

The way everyone acts like maps should all be the exact same is very disappointing.

For the record, there are just as many RE maps that have plenty of TPs: Great Lakes, Patagonia (3 TPs each, can grab 4 with ATP), Saguenay (Sometimes has 5 TPs), Mongolia, New England, Araucania, Sonora, Deccan

And that might not even be all of them.

All of these maps have plenty to offer to diversify play, and the TPs are part of that. If these maps had consistent resource spawns they could even be fantastic maps. To suddenly say that these sorts of maps should NEVER be included in competitive play is closed-minded and sad. And sure, these maps may favour certain civs over others, may favour ATP civs over other civs, but there's no such thing as a map that does not favour a certain civ or group of civs.

I, for one, enjoy games where people have to change the way they play because of the map. I think it would be pretty damn boring to include only maps with 3 TP lines where 1 TP is safely under one player's TC, each player has 2 safe gold mines and 3 safe hunts, and every game turns into bland 5 huss semi-FFs because there's simply no need to explore anything else this game has to offer.

The number of TPs on these maps is simply not the problem here.
Russia yurashic
Howdah
ESO: Yurashic

Post by yurashic »

Hazza54321 wrote:
yurashic wrote:ATP is fine. If it is nerfed it will only be viable on 5 TP maps like Klondike and High Plains, noone agrees to play those anyway. Just don't put such maps in tournaments.

just like iro and otto are bad civs on re?

If you disagree with something, then please explain.
Great Britain WickedCossack
Retired Contributor

Post by WickedCossack »

The ATP offers a healthy growth strategy.

However, this can at times, be an unhealthy growth strategy.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

I like ATP. Why nerf anything that is good? Why is it that its wrong for some civs to be favored on some maps, and other not so much? Diversity bois n girls, thats what makes the game fun!

@mitoe said :
The way everyone acts like maps should all be the exact same is very disappointing.

And I totally agree with him :biggrin:
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.
Germany Akechi_Mitsuhide
Dragoon

Mitoe wrote:There's nothing wrong with maps that have lots of TPs. You're calling the maps broken when it's clearly the card that's the issue. You would never send ATP on a map where you're only likely to be able to build 2 TPs. Just because the card turns out to be good on those maps with lots of TPs doesn't make the maps broken. The card needs some work, that's all there is to it.

For the record, there are just as many RE maps that have plenty of TPs: Great Lakes, Patagonia (3 TPs each, can grab 4 with ATP), Saguenay (Sometimes has 5 TPs), Mongolia, New England, Araucania, Sonora, Deccan

And that might not even be all of them.

All of these maps have plenty to offer to diversify play, and the TPs are part of that. If these maps had consistent resource spawns they could even be fantastic maps. To suddenly say that these sorts of maps should NEVER be included in competitive play is closed-minded and sad. And sure, these maps may favour certain civs over others, may favour ATP civs over other civs, but there's no such thing as a map that does not favour a certain civ or group of civs.

I, for one, enjoy games where people have to change the way they play because of the map. I think it would be pretty damn boring to include only maps with 3 TP lines where 1 TP is safely under one player's TC, each player has 2 safe gold mines and 3 safe hunts, and every game turns into bland 5 huss semi-FFs because there's simply no need to explore anything else this game has to offer.

The number of TPs on these maps is simply not the problem here.

I see your point and you certainly have way more game knowledge than me, but isn't it still the case that there are more high TP Maps in ESOC Maps that there are on RE relative to the amount of total maps. And I also think that the RE Maps with many TPs often contain water (Sag, Great Lakes, Patagonia, NE, Araucania) which offers another counter to ATP whereas many high TP ESOC Maps do not contain water (HP, Arizona, Mendocino, Colorado).
I want to note that this doesn't mean that I do not like ESOC Maps. I like them a lot and think that they improve many things, but the high number of TPs is what I think might be improvable. I am interested what other pros think about this.
Canada Mitoe

Post by Mitoe »

My point is that we shouldn't be moving away from map diversity because people are too damn lazy to learn new ways to play the game.
France Rikikipu
Retired Contributor
ESO: p-of

Post by Rikikipu »

Hazza54321 wrote:
Mitoe wrote:I think ATP provides a healthy option (for the civs that can afford to use it) to boost their early economies and adds a lot more depth to those civs and the game. I think the main problem with ATP is that it gives TPs just a bit too much hp, making it really hard to enact any sort of adequate counterplay.

its op as fuck lol

If it is op as fuck, why civs which can send ATP like France, germany, brit, dutch and ottomans chose to send 3 vills (or 2sw in case of germany) ?
It shows that still 3 vills or 2sw > ATP
Germany Akechi_Mitsuhide
Dragoon

Mitoe wrote:My point is that we shouldn't be moving away from map diversity because people are too damn lazy to learn new ways to play the game.

But wouldn't it still be cool to have maps with only one or two TPs. This would demand the players to contest them more.
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player

Post by Hazza54321 »

they get so much value, buy so much time if you try to seige them if u dont seige them and go for the base then they have 16 vills gathering for them uncontested
if you use pikes they can kill 2/3 before they go down
already getting their worth
dispite the xp
just seems retarded
not how ports and spain should be played at all
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

It's fine lol. It's a large investment that takes times to pay off and is pretty easy to counter imo
Austria KINGofOsmane
Pro Player
ESO: KINGofOsmane

Post by KINGofOsmane »

gibson wrote:It's fine lol. It's a large investment that takes times to pay off and is pretty easy to counter imo

?
"Losing to Callen was the worst night of my life" Gibthedurrty 2019
"If hazza can get pr42 with team i can get pr50 with 1v1" Gibthedurrty 2018
Lecastete wrote: Dude i hate this game. I am bad and i also dont have luck
Tete cs:go experience
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

KINGofOsmane wrote:
gibson wrote:It's fine lol. It's a large investment that takes times to pay off and is pretty easy to counter imo

?
?
Austria KINGofOsmane
Pro Player
ESO: KINGofOsmane

Post by KINGofOsmane »

gibson wrote:
KINGofOsmane wrote:

?
?

?!
"Losing to Callen was the worst night of my life" Gibthedurrty 2019
"If hazza can get pr42 with team i can get pr50 with 1v1" Gibthedurrty 2018
Lecastete wrote: Dude i hate this game. I am bad and i also dont have luck
Tete cs:go experience