YouTube Channels where you can actually learn real-world skills

Place open for new posts ā€” threads with fresh content will be moved to either Real-life Discussion or ESOC Talk sub-forums, where you can create new topics.
France benj89
Howdah

Re: YouTube Channels where you can actually learn real-world skills

Post by benj89 »

Metis wrote:
benj89 wrote:a BA in anything *at a good school* and particularly in philosophy will get you a great job. Otherwise yea you're stuck to practical majors, that's the nuance metis doesn't get

If you are a legacy of one of the moneyed aristocracy, of course any old BA will do, the old boy network will ensure you have a job,

No, you just need to perform well in interviews and show that despite being a philosophy major, you have interests in the related field. Again, that only applies if you come from a good/target school. Do a quick linkedIn search and you'll see that I'm right. Philosophy major can even get you the most selective quant jobs.
The legacy thing is overrated
"Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. If you want to make ambitious people waste their time on errands, bait the hook with prestige." - Paul Graham
No Flag farran34
Dragoon
Donator 01

Post by farran34 »

benj89 wrote:
Metis wrote:
benj89 wrote:a BA in anything *at a good school* and particularly in philosophy will get you a great job. Otherwise yea you're stuck to practical majors, that's the nuance metis doesn't get

If you are a legacy of one of the moneyed aristocracy, of course any old BA will do, the old boy network will ensure you have a job,

No, you just need to perform well in interviews and show that despite being a philosophy major, you have interests in the related field. Again, that only applies if you come from a good/target school. Do a quick linkedIn search and you'll see that I'm right. Philosophy major can even get you the most selective quant jobs.
The legacy thing is overrated

I think you are right in that a BA in philosophy from a good school (with a strong GPA) can get you great jobs, on the condition that you do well in the interview and show that you will be able to do well in the job your are applying for. This usually means having pursued internships or at least having a minor in the field you wish to work in, and showing that you have the necessary knowledge/skills needed for the job. If a philosophy major graduates from a good school with a good GPA, has the ability to demonstrate superb people skills, and nails the interview through showing that they are able to do the job for reasons x, y, and z, they will be at a big advantage since the employer will know that the student is intelligent, obtains strong writing skills, and is able to think clearly and logically.
United States of America Metis
Howdah

Post by Metis »

Let's start with the premise that you that you have a BA in philosophy from whatever is supposed to be the best philosophy school in the country, call it HarPrinYale University. Now go try to find a job in primary or secondary education. No, sorry you don't have the required education hours. How about tertiary education? No, sorry we require a Masters with at least 15 graduate hours specifically in the subject area taught. How about lab work, nursing, scientific research, information technology, accounting, architecture? Nope, you have neither skills, nor certification, in these fields. How about data entry? Sure, come right in, assuming you can type well, we pay $7.50 an hour. Perhaps someone would hire you in sales but, like that data entry job, you really don't need a degree per se to be a salesman.

Now, as I have already mentioned, as a prerequisite to further education philosophy is great. I'm not lambasting philosophy study per se, I think it helps make a person a more well-rounded individual. You will learn how and why people thought the way they did in the past and where they went right or wrong in their thinking. You ponder the great questions and learn to re-examine your childhood indoctrination. You may even begin to form a philosophy of your own. The logic and analytics you will study will help you to present strong and sound arguments. As already mentioned, philosophy would be a great prerequisite for, or adjunct to, other education. It's just not a good end unto itself, unless you wish to continue on to graduate school and become a philosophy professor or professional philosopher.

I'm sure that there are those with BAs in philosophy who have jobs in all sorts of fields; I'm also certain that they had to receive specialized training in addition to what they learned in their philosophy program. I'm just not sure how easy it would be to get your foot in the door with only that philosophy degree unless you knew someone, however.

Speaking as a former employer who has read hundreds of resumes, I will tell you that you would not believe how many highly-qualified individuals are out there looking for even moderately well-paying jobs. We had a position open once for a manager of one of our IT companies. We had about a dozen applicants with PhDs in things like electrical engineering and twice that number of MBAs, including several from the "Ivy League" apply. Besides those, we had hundreds of other applicants with business, management and IT degrees. A BA in philosophy alone would not even have gotten put into the "let's look into this guy a bit more" pile, much less an interview. Who got the job? Well, my grandma finally decided to give it to my brother, who has three degrees, one of them an MBA. He was hardly the most qualified applicant though.
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

with good/target I meant semi target-target ie top 20 national and top 10-15 liberal art, not top3.
Not sure what you talking about with this data entry thing. who wants to do lab work or accounting anyway.

I can tell you that a BA in philosophy can potentially get you jobs much harder to get than the ones you screened for, such as trader at top prop trading firms, analyst at top PE firms, best IB groups at goldman sachs , top tier consulting, top tech firms such as google(sales, marketing etc), corp dev/strat at F100, etc etc. And tbh this discussion is irrelevant, one of the most respected "major" in US/UK is PPE and it's very theoritical - most students don't use any of this in their job. The ones who study mechanical engineering probably won't use it neither unless they go for some engineering jobs, which is often not the case.
what you consider as a certification just require some self studying.

I've interned at one of the most respected head hunting firm in nyc and screened hundreds of applications for the most selective jobs.
"Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. If you want to make ambitious people waste their time on errands, bait the hook with prestige." - Paul Graham
Howdah

Post by Metis »

@benj89

Needless to say, we are coming from different perspectives where jobs are concerned. Most of the people I know would never even think of working at at Goldman Sacs or some such place; their interests just lie elsewhere. Some people enjoy accounting. Did you know that many FBI agents are accountants? Following the money is of prime importance in federal law enforcement. As for lab work, lab technicians and researchers are some of the most important people in the workforce in terms of actually benefiting humanity. Where do you think that new medicines and treatments, crop and livestock varieties, fertilizers or food production and processing methods originate? Where do you think new technologies and manufacturing processes are developed? How about progressing our knowledge of the physical world itself? I'ts usually in the lab, or at the field research station.
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

I thought the conv was about philosophy and getting a good job, not a meaningful one (even tho investment banker could argue they are much more uselful for the society than doing some random research). philosophy still is one of the best major for non profit jobs. Also one of the best for mbas/law/med school.
as for lab work and research, my research manager at that headhunting firm was 2nd place at national competition in biochem, working under the supervision of a brilliant professor at upenn and told me some pretty bad stuff about it. I believe it's like one of these fields where you have to be really passionate about it.
fbi agents come from any majors.
By the way, most of the people you know would do a lot to have a good job at goldman sachs. It's just easier to say they wouldn't simply because they don't have the opportunity to. Anyway it's still a great place to start a career
time to sleep for me gn
Howdah

Post by Metis »

benj89 wrote:investment banker could argue they are much more uselful [sic] for the society than doing some random research.

They could say that but it wouldn't be true. If you are sick, your money is useless if it can't buy a medical treatment that some "random" researcher in a lab discovered. And, no matter how big your business, it's not going to do you any good if researchers can't come up with a resistant crop or treatment when a disease outbreak occurs. Want an actual real-word example. Look up Gros Michelle.

Can you give me a list of investment bankers that have have actually helped humanity in general. Are there any among them such as Lister, Jennings, Salk, Pasteur, Rƶntgen, Fleming, Reed...?
Netherland Antilles Laurence Drake
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

Metis wrote:
benj89 wrote:investment banker could argue they are much more uselful [sic] for the society than doing some random research.

They could say that but it wouldn't be true. If you are sick, your money is useless if it can't buy a medical treatment that some "random" researcher in a lab discovered. And, no matter how big your business, it's not going to do you any good if researchers can't come up with a resistant crop or treatment when a disease outbreak occurs. Want an actual real-word example. Look up Gros Michelle.

Can you give me a list of investment bankers that have have actually helped humanity in general. Are there any among them such as Lister, Jennings, Salk, Pasteur, Rƶntgen, Fleming, Reed...?

let's be honest, no one in these forums has a realistic chance of becoming a significant figure to humanity like Salk or Lister
Top quality poster.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

Life has its mysteries, and the questions are endless. Right now, for example, I wonder if any of Laurence Drake's 1124 posts have been useful.
Pay more attention to detail.
Howdah

Post by Metis »

Laurence Drake wrote:let's be honest, no one in these forums has a realistic chance of becoming a significant figure to humanity like Salk or Lister

Today, papers in science, especially those fields where the research equipment may cost millions of dollars, may have tens to hundreds of authors. Knowledge builds on knowledge and it's science that produces new knowledge. The poster here lambasting the "random" researcher doesn't seem to understand this. The individual researcher working on his esoteric project may never be as well known outside his specialized field as a Lister or Jenner. However, his contribution is added to that of the rest of us working in our various labs. The individual contribution might be small but the collective contribution is great.
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

Metis wrote:
Laurence Drake wrote:let's be honest, no one in these forums has a realistic chance of becoming a significant figure to humanity like Salk or Lister

Today, papers in science, especially those fields where the research equipment may cost millions of dollars, may have tens to hundreds of authors. Knowledge builds on knowledge and it's science that produces new knowledge. The poster here lambasting the "random" researcher doesn't seem to understand this. The individual researcher working on his esoteric project may never be as well known outside his specialized field as a Lister or Jenner. However, his contribution is added to that of the rest of us working in our various labs. The individual contribution might be small but the collective contribution is great.

The collective contribution is also great in other industries. Modern capitalism would not be possible without the financial sector. New technologies can't benefit people unless the right institutions are in place.
Top quality poster.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

I CBA to check how the original topic got to money and capitalism, but relating to the discussion on whether skills that were useful thousands of years ago could still be useful:

I think what we've got today is something akin to a species crisis. All former paradigms are de facto dead (political, economic, social) so all past solutions to common social/political/economic issues don't work anymore. We are officially in unchartered territories, the old institutions are still (de jure) up and running by inertia, simply because we don't have anything to replace them with.
This is most apparent in the crisis of leaders all around the world: USA, UK, France, Austria, Spain, Italy, Romania, Philippines, etc. These countries either have ineffective leaders or caricatures of leaders.

OK, so what does this have to do with youtube channels showcasing ancestral skills? It does because since we are in a crisis of paradigm all around the world (globalism is also in crisis) I think we will be witnessing a progressive resetting of social/political/economic norms. It's like we're wiping out history, which is no longer useful (doesn't provide us with any usable paradigm) and going back (psychologically) to the late Chalcolithic-bronze age, when history started. What we're seeing is a major anthropological reset that will gradually dismantle all political/social/economic institutions and attempt to revert to any previous working paradigm.

So it's no wonder this subject of going back to the roots, re-learning past skills, preparing for a collapse of civilisation is an active topic for many. It's a symptom of a larger phenomenon.
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

Metis wrote:

"it wouldn't be true" says who? the guy who told me yesterday that a BA in philosophy leads you to no selective jobs because his grandma's business wouldn't hire one?
"In souls nobly born, valour does not depend upon age" as Corneille said, you should integrate that when trying to be didactic with younger guys (ie; everyone) on this forum. Because you're older doesn't mean you know better.

Again I don't think this discussion makes sense. Money is useless because you can't buy a medical research (but you can buy the people who do it, correct?), but you can't do research without money. An average investment banker at a top bank creates lot's of value, helps business that employ millions of people to survive and/or grow. I didn't say that investment bankers have more value to the society than researchers, I said it could be argued, and since you seem ignorant about the subject you should agree to disagree instead of claiming that you're right like you've done since start.
Disease arise, no researchers we all die. World crisis arise, no employment, chaos, famine, most of us die. Similar ending.
I'd venture to say that proportionally I bankers have been much more useful to society than most of researchers, but again quantifying that doesn't seem possible. Want an actual real world example? read the wall street journal and learn the impact that IB transactions have on your everyday life.
I also know practically nothing about research in a lab besides that interaction I had with my boss and the fact that most PhDs who worked in a lab want to quit to go corporate for various reasons, that's partly why consulting firms are full of biochem/physics PhDs.
from what the person I referred to told me, the interesting research that get enough fundings are very limited, and the spot doesn't get filed by the most competent but by networking skills.
Also, how could we survive without a garbage man? I don't really like talking about a job being more meaningful or having more impact than another; which jobs is more selective is more appropriate to discussion.

About accounting:
I'd say that some people enjoy boring-uninteresting work and that's their right and you can find interest in anything if you want to, it doesn't make the work objectively interesting/exciting/a great learning experience in itself. For some others it's a work/life balance issue and a trade off they are willing to take. Most people who study accounting are these asian students who want to work few years at a big 4 to run the family business back in Asia after that - that's what their parent told them to do. They didn't know doing 2 years of IB for that would've been much more useful, because you get to learn all the accounting stuff needed and deal with c-suite executive of F500 weekly. But again, they might do like your friends and claim they would never work at GS even if they could (fuck that 140k paycheck and great learning experience at 22 years old, 55k reviewing cash flows and income statement all day is much better, right?).
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

Dolan wrote:I CBA to check how the original topic got to money and capitalism, but relating to the discussion on whether skills that were useful thousands of years ago could still be useful:

I think what we've got today is something akin to a species crisis. All former paradigms are de facto dead (political, economic, social) so all past solutions to common social/political/economic issues don't work anymore. We are officially in unchartered territories, the old institutions are still (de jure) up and running by inertia, simply because we don't have anything to replace them with.
This is most apparent in the crisis of leaders all around the world: USA, UK, France, Austria, Spain, Italy, Romania, Philippines, etc. These countries either have ineffective leaders or caricatures of leaders.

OK, so what does this have to do with youtube channels showcasing ancestral skills? It does because since we are in a crisis of paradigm all around the world (globalism is also in crisis) I think we will be witnessing a progressive resetting of social/political/economic norms. It's like we're wiping out history, which is no longer useful (doesn't provide us with any usable paradigm) and going back (psychologically) to the late Chalcolithic-bronze age, when history started. What we're seeing is a major anthropological reset that will gradually dismantle all political/social/economic institutions and attempt to revert to any previous working paradigm.

So it's no wonder this subject of going back to the roots, re-learning past skills, preparing for a collapse of civilisation is an active topic for many. It's a symptom of a larger phenomenon.

Sounds like fantasy to me, but fun nonetheless
Jaeger

Post by Laurence Drake »

Dolan wrote:I CBA to check how the original topic got to money and capitalism, but relating to the discussion on whether skills that were useful thousands of years ago could still be useful:

I'll have what this guy's having.
Top quality poster.
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

looks like modafinil to me. I got you bro https://www.afinilexpress.com/
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Dolan wrote:I think what we've got today is something akin to a species crisis. All former paradigms are de facto dead (political, economic, social) so all past solutions to common social/political/economic issues don't work anymore. We are officially in unchartered territories, the old institutions are still (de jure) up and running by inertia, simply because we don't have anything to replace them with.
Considering the pace at which tech is moving I can see a situation like this unfolding at some point in this century. You seem to think we are there already, that I don't agree with. The issues we're facing today are new, but we have faced new challenges before. I think the reason you may be under the impression that we are in a crisis is that you're paying rather close attention. I'd say it's likely that if you were paying close attention to the state of humanity at any one point in history, you would always find reasons to call out "crisis".
With the earth being populated by beings whose goal is not to make it a better place but to make more of themselves, it's easy for things to look grim.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

We're not there 100%. We're still with one foot in the boat of our inherited institutions, because people are afraid of major disruptions and they'd rather have stability even if it's based on corrupt or discredited institutions/systems than embarking into the unknown.

I see a lot of small effects here and there, which appear significant to me, but it is possible I'm reading too much into it or they are false signs, that aren't ushering in anything.

For example, re-launching the subject of trade lately. Why do we suddenly have so many negotiations on new trade agreements? Is someone afraid that globalisation may recede and it needs a new push in order to rekindle the faith in it? Where did this lobby and motivation for new trade deals (so many: TTIP, TTP, CETA, FTA, ASEAN, DCFTA, TFTA, EFTA etc) come from? It seems most of them came from either older negotiations from the 90s or were the result of failing Doha trade negotiations. Another explanation could be that regional powers and states find themselves unable to come up with ways to fix the imbalances in their economies (stagnating growth, unemployment, competitiveness, trade deficits) so they jumped on these trade negotiations as a possible means to boost their economies, via external factors.

So this flurry of trade negotiations could be a symptom of states being unable to have effective economic policies using solutions from the previous paradigms (monetarism, supply-side economics, increasing state consumption via infrastructure investment in order to "boost" the economy).

But then this push for new trade deals backfired, as many people and organisations realised it could be more beneficial to companies than to employees, by making them compete on a global labour market with areas in the world where living standards are so low they would learn anything to get any income and do any job for basically very low rates.

Which brings us to the subject of racism. Because what is racism, if not the anthropological shock of discovering that our species is made of many regional subgroups with quite different characteristics. Even paleoanthropology today is discovering that the picture of human evolution is much more complicated than we thought, and that Asians are the result of crossbreeding between different ancestors than say, Africans. And we also notice that there are significant differences in abilities between these groups, ie Africans are more likely to surpass other groups in athletic pursuits , Asians score very high on math tests and usually live in collectivist social and political regimes, and so on.

What does that have to do with globalism and trade and all that stuff?

It does, because, for example many objections raised by those who reject such trade deals revolve around subjects such as avoiding economic practices which are demeaning or competing for jobs with countries in which human rights are understood differently than in Europe (China) so what is considered exploitation of cheap labour in Europe may be perfectly legitimate practice in China.
Another example is that Middle East states (as well as China and Russia) are rejecting the universality of human rights. Arab states even tried to write their own declaration of human rights, based on the Quran, because they thought the current declaration of human rights is in conflict with their religious beliefs.

See? The foundations of globalism (the universality of human rights, the UN, international law etc) are getting questioned by many states around the world. The UN as an institution is joke right now, it's not even able to enforce international law. When Crimea got invaded and annexed by Russia, they couldn't do anything to re-establish the international order, they just don't have either the clout or the means to do that. Let's face it, the world is still divided in camps and the actual important decisions are taken by negotiations between the major political/military/economic powers.

Then there is a revival of nationalistic movements and far-right parties in countries affected by the massive migration crisis. Why would a society suddenly go back in time to a previously discredited political ideology, when under external threat? What does this revival of 19th century ideologies mean? Maybe that these societies don't have common goals and values anymore and they cling to the only thing they have in common, which is national identity. It does look and feel like historical regression, it's like we're erasing all the things that happened since nationalism died in Europe and which changed people's mentalities. Reversion to the latest historical common denominator.

In any case, globalism seems to be under threat right now, as well as its political offspring, multiculturalism. This will have social paradigm consequences, it will impact how societies are organised, who is considered a citizen of a country. Can there be civic nations anymore? Do all citizens need to share a culture in order to have a functional society? Does multiculturalism engender civic apathy and eventually unrest? There is evidence that the answer is yes, but it is unclear if this trend of reversion to past politics can be stopped.

Other institutions I don't have time to write about, but are also undergoing crisis or are being questioned: democracy (see the latest elections in the US, party manipulations; declining trust in parliaments and parties; populistic leaders elected as head of states, some of them were even criminals like Duterte), the financial system, marriage, religion, the media etc.

These are just evolutions which appear disparate, but may be connected by a common cause, such as an attempt by people to find their grounding, in the face of declining traditional institutions.

In some cases this new grounding cannot be found, and people just default on their biological instincts, on basic evolutionary reflexes. And choose whatever historical mask seems apropriate to use to respond to a current challenge (such as nationalism).
Howdah

Post by Metis »

I think someone may have misconstrued what I meant when I said "grandma's" company. Let me clarify. At the time, grandma was the CEO and chairman of the board of a private telecommunications company that provided phone and Internet service to tens of thousands and employed over two hundred people. This was not, and is not, a little "mom and pop" outfit, though it started that way over 60 years ago. Nobody with a BA in philosophy alone would have any idea how do most of the jobs required by the company, nor would they be hired when other more qualified applicants were competing for the same job openings. One can't spend six months teaching someone "willing to learn" when the task must be performed today. Perhaps there are a few in the retail sales division. My brother (who is now the CEO) has over 50 retail stores in ten states so he may have some BAs in philosophy working for him. I wouldn't know as I sold my shares and got out of the business.

I'm not sure why some consider non-"businessman" jobs "boring" and "uninteresting" either. Perhaps those with such ideas are still in school or perhaps in a sale's internship. If so, then I suppose they have no idea of the knowledge and skill it actually takes to perform so-called "mundane" jobs. I'd like to see your average sales manager machine a valve from rough stock or repair a tractor transmission. However, I'd say that most of the farmers and ranchers I know could do quite well in sales and marketing. Do you really think that the farmers and ranchers out here are yokels and hicks? Most of them are millionaire businessman with degrees in agronomy and business administration.

One local farmer is a former senator, another a former sheriff and yet another served for twenty years as a county commissioner. Most would think nothing of sitting down to a meal with the likes of Ted Turner. In fact, my brother-in-law, a rancher and singer, was at the Turner ranch recently for a party and will be going back in a few months to put on a horse-training seminar. I'm not making this up, my sister was showing me pictures today that she took of the wolves that Turner is raising for reintroduction to New Mexico. She said that Turner's kids and grandkids were as nice as could be. She ran into one of his ranch managers and was surprised to find out that he is actually a cousin of ours.
Howdah

Post by Metis »

Ever tied a bowline? I use this knot almost every day. I used it just today when tying down some items I was taking to the landfill. I recently learned this quicker way of tying it that works like a charm. Try it the next time you need to make a loop at the end of a rope.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SHas_YRczk[/video]
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

@Dolan
No one can deny things are changing, and some of the foundations of society are being brought into question. But when hasn't that been the case?
I see a lot of small effects here and there, which appear significant to me, but it is possible I'm reading too much into it or they are false signs, that aren't ushering in anything.
That's exactly my point. A lot of small effects, and you only notice them if you're paying close attention. If you took any year in relatively recent history and paid as close attention to it as you are to 2016, odds are you'd notice comparable effects. I'll admit though that considering globalization and the way we are all connected, the scale of change is bigger and the pace faster.
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

Metis wrote:I think someone may have misconstrued what I meant when I said "grandma's" company. Let me clarify. At the time, grandma was the CEO and chairman of the board of a private telecommunications company that provided phone and Internet service to tens of thousands and employed over two hundred people. This was not, and is not, a little "mom and pop" outfit, though it started that way over 60 years ago. Nobody with a BA in philosophy alone would have any idea how do most of the jobs required by the company, nor would they be hired when other more qualified applicants were competing for the same job openings. One can't spend six months teaching someone "willing to learn" when the task must be performed today. Perhaps there are a few in the retail sales division. My brother (who is now the CEO) has over 50 retail stores in ten states so he may have some BAs in philosophy working for him. I wouldn't know as I sold my shares and got out of the business.
Most people even with the relevant major have no clue how to do most jobs neither, that's why most selective jobs requires 2-3-4 weeks of intense training before even starting the internship. These technical jobs that you are mentioning aren't the ones interesting for long term prospects/career evolution in general, and that's what most students are concerned about. Whether it's right or not is another debate. So yea, you got it, a philosophy major would probably not get hired straight away to be a plumber (although I've heard about I-banker becoming a carpenter after his 2 year stint, so why not afterall).
My point was a major in philosophy at a good school wouldn't bother applying to your grandma's business not matter how big it is, since he would get an opportunity at least as interesting/better paid at a blue chip company.

I'm not sure why some consider non-"businessman" jobs "boring" and "uninteresting" either. Perhaps those with such ideas are still in school or perhaps in a sale's internship. If so, then I suppose they have no idea of the knowledge and skill it actually takes to perform so-called "mundane" jobs. I'd like to see your average sales manager machine a valve from rough stock or repair a tractor transmission. However, I'd say that most of the farmers and ranchers I know could do quite well in sales and marketing. Do you really think that the farmers and ranchers out here are yokels and hicks? Most of them are millionaire businessman with degrees in agronomy and business administration.
I never criticized these jobs nor called them boring or uninteresting. We spoke about lab researchers and accounting only. Lot's of technical jobs must be very interesting, I've always been fascinated about carpenters for example. I also spent enough time in a farm to know it's an interesting job, although I would never consider it as a career. I'd be very curious to know where you get that most farmers and ranchers are millionaire business man. Some are, I also know that cal poly san obispo is a really good school for that, but where do you get the most. The one farmer I spent a summer with was working 5.30am-12am and could barely afford paying for college to his kids. The rancher I visited in texas had to host tourist visits to keep his business alive, so if I did like you did with you're grandma business I'd be tempted to say that most is definitely wrong, but I'm open to some interesting datas you could send
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

@Dolan , is ASEAN a new trade deal or just an organisation founded in 1967? :hmm:
No Flag farran34
Dragoon
Donator 01

Post by farran34 »

Most people even with the relevant major have no clue how to do most jobs neither, that's why most selective jobs requires 2-3-4 weeks of intense training before even starting the internship. These technical jobs that you are mentioning aren't the ones interesting for long term prospects/career evolution in general, and that's what most students are concerned about. Whether it's right or not is another debate. So yea, you got it, a philosophy major would probably not get hired straight away to be a plumber (although I've heard about I-banker becoming a carpenter after his 2 year stint, so why not afterall).
My point was a major in philosophy at a good school wouldn't bother applying to your grandma's business not matter how big it is, since he would get an opportunity at least as interesting/better paid at a blue chip company.

Exactly. Using business as an example, getting a degree in business administration doesn't teach you shit about how to be a good manager in the real world. The point of most undergrad degrees, for non-technical or highly specialized fields, is to simply show the employer that you had the ability, determination, and discipline to graduate with x gpa from university y. Most corporations in business, from what I have heard, don't really care what your major is as long as you show them that you have a basic understanding of business and are able to do the job (usually through internships).

They know someone who majored in business administration is realistically no more prepared to be a manager at a good company than a person with any other major, and thus they usually require special training for the first few weeks of the job regardless of major. The difference between a philosophy major and a business major is the philosophy major has many marketable skills other than just a business admin major's view of how businesses work, which beyond the basics is mostly just buzz-words overused in textbooks and recent theories developed by someone at Harvard which are not applicable in the real world of business outside of theory.

It is true that if a philosophy major wants to work in a more technical or specialized job where certain information is imperative for doing the job, then he will most likely have to double major, or somehow show he has the necessary knowledge. Putting this aside, there are many jobs where one does not need to double major for specialized information such as business, journalism, nonprofit work, marketing, sales, self-employment, research jobs, consulting, coaching, ext.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

pecelot wrote:@Dolan , is ASEAN a new trade deal or just an organisation founded in 1967? :hmm:

I was referring to the renewed interest in a EU-ASEAN free trade agreement.